Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Download problems  (Read 1601 times)

TH

Download problems
« on: 04 Jul 2004, 23:54:53 »
When i try to download scripts off the ed depot half the time i get corrupt zip file, the error is unexpected end of archive. Is it just me?  :-\ i used winrar first and it didnt work.. then downlaoded winzip and it did the same thing.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2004, 23:55:29 by TH »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:Download problems
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2004, 23:59:07 »
None of the scripts in the Ed Depot have corrupt zip files:  they are all checked by Ed Depot staff before being accepted.  (Stuff in Pending has not been checked.)

If you've tried winrar and winzip and get the same result its not them, which suggests its somekind of downloading problem.     At which point my limited knowledge of these matters brings me to an abrupt halt.

Is there any pattern to the files that are corrupted?
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

AnarCHy

« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2004, 01:20:07 »
if they are all large files then the file may have some missing information in them, for instance, when I used winZIP it would not let me unzip the larger files (5 or 6 MB and up)
Then d/led winRAR and it worked fine.

Where did you get your WinRAR?  Maybe they screwed with it if it wasn't winrar.com

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2004, 04:34:37 »
Another possibility:

If an archive is created with a newer version of WinRAR than you're using (ie: They used 3.30, you're using 3.11 or less), it can show up as a "corrupt archive".
Try updating to the latest WinRAR (currently 3.30?) and see if that helps.

:)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

TH

« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2004, 23:55:14 »
alright.. sry for the late reply, i dont seem to see any patterns.. jsut downloading small scripts. I'll try updating my winrar  :)

TH

« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2004, 03:02:18 »
i already had 3.30.. still not working...  :-\

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2004, 21:12:03 »
Erm, try redownloading..
 :-\
- Ben

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2005, 04:09:31 »
If this problem is only occuring to you on:

*some*, not all downloads.

large'ish file sizes

ftp: and *never* http: downloads

then the problem is a mismatch between Window$ (tm) and the type of isp you are connected to.

Some linux servers have a problem here. I do not know THE answer.

I do know, that changing the download agent, your end, often fixes the problem.

For instance, if you use DAP acellerater (sp) change it's setting to no accelleration at all (for this dload).

If you aren't using accelerators, get one, simply for the purpose of changing the agent, not because they're good (tm)

Reget (another agent) often works.

And so too by simply changing the properties inside your explorer to set ftp to 'passive' mode.

You should also consider a quality agent like CuteFtp (no brickbats please from others). If you're seriously into downloading anything, lots of it, then CuteFtp (eg) is an overall winner reasons other than this one problem.

There is no clear cut answer i can give you except to acknowledge that some of us too, have the same problem.
Just say no to bugz