Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Tank with anti-missile laser and deployable UAV  (Read 2341 times)

DBR_ONIX

Re:Tank with anti-missile laser and deployable UAV
« Reply #15 on: 19 Jun 2004, 13:54:14 »
To DBR_ONIX:
The MoD have already made its laser and mounted it on a HMMWV and shipped it to Iraq where it's already doing it's job.
Really! Cool.. Didn't know that :)

A laser line would not be visible, lasers are just consenctrated light. All you would see would be a flash at the laser lens and a flash at the missile and BOOM! No more missile.

Hmm, I guess so.. Stupid hollywood films :P

I kinda like this idea, but it seems a little unbalanced. How would infantry be able to damage a tank if it shoots down missiles before they hit? It completly eliminates the Javilin, the Carl Gustav, and the russian anti-tank misile launcher (I've gone and forgotten what it's called).
Well, it would only be able to cope with one missile every, what, 5 seconds?
And if the FFAR things (Or the russian equvl., 56mm rockets?) are fired in a fairly long burst, they laser wouldn't stand a chance :)

Could it be done so that the laser system is vunerable? A laser isn't exactly sturdy, a coulpe of well-placed shots could shatter the lenses and disable the laser... That could make for some interesting mission involving snipers with HTI rifles  ;)
You just reminder me, I'm supposed to be working on the model for a Modiyed barret that does exactly that ::)

Do real world missiles lock targets? I've been wondering and since the most used rocket in the world is the RPG which isn't guided the laser thing would be pointless. Good for mines though, I hate running into  mines.... :P
Plane missile lock targets, I'm almost completely sure (It would be friggin imposible if they didn't.. ;))
And fancy things like Cruise missiles etc (I think)

But RPGs don't.. They're stupid missiles :P They just fly the way they're pointed, but the laser, I guess, would detect that missile, and then blow it out of the sky :)

`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'`'
Anyway, if the missile was deletevehicle-ed, you wouldn't get the explosion.. So setdammage 1 would be best, I think.

The addons with the Missile Lock scripts, that I know, are :
DKMM Commanche
Rad F18

I've atttached the what I think is the missile detector script to this post  (From the Rad F18 pack)
If it's not that, theye're another one I'll attach (Too low on memory to open them, atm ::))
Mind and not just use them, but base your scripts form them ;)
Or contact Mr Rad :)

Can't wait :P
- Ben
« Last Edit: 19 Jun 2004, 14:27:15 by DBR_ONIX »

Coldfire

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jun 2004, 00:46:26 »
PWell, it would only be able to cope with one missile every, what, 5 seconds?
And if the FFAR things (Or the russian equvl., 56mm rockets?) are fired in a fairly long burst, they laser wouldn't stand a chance

I'm talking about Hand-Held weapons. FFARs and 56mm Rockets are mounted on aircraft. Theres no question about play-balancing there. But it takes too long to reload a LAW or RPG to be able to fire between laser bursts. The only way around that would to have two different AT soldiers attacking at once and if one got killed before he could fire...

rOk

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jun 2004, 11:23:12 »
I'm talking about Hand-Held weapons. FFARs and 56mm Rockets are mounted on aircraft. Theres no question about play-balancing there. But it takes too long to reload a LAW or RPG to be able to fire between laser bursts. The only way around that would to have two different AT soldiers attacking at once and if one got killed before he could fire...

That's exactly what it should do in game and will probably soon in real life-to make the enemy attack with multiple missiles in a short period of time-against FFAR or any kind of rapid fire missile it wouldn't stand a chance-of probably 3 rockets fired (in burst) 2 would hit and damage the tank.

To DBR_ONIX:
The MoD have already made its laser and mounted it on a HMMWV and shipped it to Iraq where it's already doing it's job.

Really! Cool.. Didn't know that

But atm it's still uncapable of destroying mines that are underground, 'cos the laser dissipates(hope it's spelled correctly?) too much while travelling through the ground, so this is still a major hurdle they need to workout.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jun 2004, 21:26:03 »
Just need bigger lasers :P
Yeah, thats the same prob they were having when I read about it

Anyway, yeah.. I think that script only detects rockets that lock on.. Not any that are firing.. Maybe give the script a whatever % chance of hiting (And give guided missiles a higher-priority)

Balance, I'm guessing there isn't gonna be one of these on every tank (One or two)..
And if a single sniper can take out that laser.. It's open to attack from anything (Ever played the first Conflic Desert Strorm, how you can take out tanks with a sniper.. That sorta idea.. IE, weak points)

How would you get the AI to shoot ACCURATLY? The enemy snipers seem to ahve trouble not randomly firing, even Spetznaz on the highest skill level ::)

Yeah, so weak spots, and unguided missiles.. That balances things out a bit
- Ben