Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: invisable NVG's  (Read 891 times)

j-man

invisable NVG's
« on: 19 May 2004, 07:03:58 »
I was creatinng a mission using the BAS tonal addon and the BAS deltas/rangers. The mission was set at night and i realized how easy it was for the BAS rangers to kill everyone. I realized it was because the rangers have NVG's and the militia didn't. I didn't want to give the militia any NVG's cause it would look really wierd if all the militia where carrying around hi-tech night vision. So I thought to my self, why not make and invisable pair of NVG's. That way the militia could see in the dark (there for providing more of a challenge to the player and his men), yet not look strange.

I have no idea where to begin. I hear that the NVG's are hard coded. But I was wondering if you could just use inheiritance and replace the model with a model of nothing? I have a very vauge knowledge of .cpp files, so would anyone mind telling me if it's possible or not. And if so, then how ???

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:invisable NVG's
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2004, 09:09:10 »
I don't really like this idea. If I'm not misstaking, AI in 1.0 could see much better in the dark. Really made the missions frustrating with you moving 200 meters away from a base in the middle of the night and they spotted you. Not fun.

Instead, I would recommend using some alarm scripts or something like that. If the player wants to blast away then more units will arrive, and even if they can't see good they can see and they are many. Also try shooting some flares or something. This will increase the important of stealth in the mission. Using guns with less muzzle flash and actually try to sneak instead going in guns blazing. My idea though, there might be some limitations in your mission that doesn't allow this. :)

Just to make it harder without the above you can lower the Rangers numbers. Say that the transport lines are stretched too thin in the briefing and that you have to do this with the men you got or something like that.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Dubieman

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2004, 20:06:12 »
Not sure that the add on could be nothing.

In real life this would be the case. Anyone NODs will have a disticnct advantage over those who don't. Those who don't, use flares and alarms. Moonlight could come into effect.

Maybe just up the militia's skill?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2004, 20:06:56 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

j-man

« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2004, 20:31:15 »
Maybe just up the militia's skill?

I tried that. But even at max skill level, I could be less than 50m away from them and still sprint right infront of them undetected >:(

Instead, I would recommend using some alarm scripts or something like that. If the player wants to blast away then more units will arrive, and even if they can't see good they can see and they are many.

I don't really want to use an alarm script since it would seem wierd if a siren went of in the middle of a city. But, now that you mention it, it would be cool if someone jumped into a jeep and drove off to alert more people. And if you shot him in time, no reinforcements would come.

Whats really frustraiting is that nothing helps the AI to see in the dark other than NVG's. I agree that it's annoying when the enemy can stop you from 500m away. But, this mission is set in a city. And the fact that there are lights everywhere and that buildings restrict the AI's view, makes things really annoying. I managed to get withing 50m of a group of militia and sneek up right behind then and they didn't notice a thing.

In this mission, I don't what the player to focus on stealth. I wan't the player to go in guns blazing, machine gunners emerging out of ally ways to provide support, and snipers providing cover from the rooftops.

Dubieman

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2004, 21:51:59 »
Militia facing in different directions?
Militia patrols going in differnet directions?
Militia just chilling in a house with a guard waypoint, that way the BAS guys walk past the houses and after shooting the AI comes out from behind. The guard waypoint should give the AI the approximate location of the BAs guys.
Maybe a knowsabout script so that when the BAS guys enter a specific area a trigger activates a script that gives AI awareness of the danger coming towards them.

Militia wouldn't be the first on my list to get NV goggles if I was the warlord. ;)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2004, 21:56:26 »
If the mission is based in a town, why not use the streetlamp addon and place some street lamps?

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

j-man

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2004, 22:03:00 »
If the mission is based in a town, why not use the streetlamp addon and place some street lamps?

There are streetlamps. Millions of them. But streetlamps don't affect AI's ability to see in the dark.

Oh well... I guess I'll just follow Armstrongs, and GuiltyRoachKilla's suggestions.

But i'll leave this thread open if anyone wants to answere my original question of: "is it possible to make invisable NVGs?"

FlidMerchant

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2004, 15:01:51 »
It wouldn't be unrealistic for a few militia to have NVGs, they can be the more important commanders or something, they could scavenge them off dead enemies.