Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New Binoculars impossible , or are they ?  (Read 929 times)

captain caffeine

New Binoculars impossible , or are they ?
« on: 28 May 2004, 00:33:58 »
  Ok from what I've read in the forums new binoculars are impossible to create using configs for binoculars.

What I am questioning is why do they have to be configured as binoculars at all,  of course with a config for
 Laws or Rifle you would need to have custom moves to
get the AI or player use the NEW binocs properly but we still need binoculars with rangefinders (probably scripted)
 and a built in compass.

I havent tried this yet since my texturing skills suck to say the least, and as far as scripting goes havent tried my hand at this in a while and I have a real bad time with configs, 200 tries with a final success just to alter a plain ole addon is not really a success in my opinion.

Can my idea with this even be accomplished,  has anyone tried this ?    I noticed that BAS has the laser designator which has the red dot and have tried to use configs with this but all has ended in failure.

If anybody thinks this is possible please contact me,
 lets face it binocs are cool, but tactical binocs rock in comparison.

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:New Binoculars impossible , or are they ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2004, 06:24:07 »
I don't see how it would be possible to make a range finder via scripting. Actually, you could do it, but it would require that you "fire" a 'bullet' from the binocs, which could be rather weird. Hmm... on second thought, that is the same way that the laser designator works, isn't it? So maybe it wouldn't be that wierd. Of course, if you have a squad, you can always just select one of your guys and you have a built-in rangefinder.

Compass may be doable with lots of cutRsc's, but that would show up even if you weren't in "optics" view. Since you have an in-game compass already, I don't see the point, though.

Actually, a zoom feature would be rather useful, though.

However, it is impossible to make new items that take up the binoc/NVG weapon slot, so this would have to take up either an AT or pistol slot. That means it would look like you are using a pistol or AT weapon when you use the binocs, which wouldn't look right at all. And scripting-wise, I can't think of any way to implement a custom animation whenever you have selected a certain weapon.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

blackhawkdown132

« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2004, 09:12:56 »
Remind me, again, how a las-designator conincides with the A-10s LGBs

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2004, 00:01:43 »
Well for the binocs couldn't you just take the Laser designator slot and make a binocular from the laserdesignator.... What I'm saying is make a new laser designator that resembles the shape of a binocular. THe hands would be off but maybe you could make it so the guy is actuually holding it or something. Just an idea.

And BlackHawkDown, the only way to have AI A10s drop LGbs is to have a laser target around and the A10 picks it up as an enemy and drops the bomb which guides itself to the laser.

By the way I have the Invisible target add on and there's an IR target in there. What's IR?

blackhawkdown132

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2004, 00:17:24 »
iNFARED

Ball Zack

« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2004, 08:11:47 »
FYI the new Wargamer pack V.4.0 has new binoculars included that zoom in and out along with new wide angle zero static nightvision goggles, and a new compass.  Download the wargamer pack and play around with it if you want...

Dubieman

« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2004, 17:14:04 »
Infared huh, that explains it. Okay done hijacking your topic now. :D

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2004, 21:43:21 »
Can't you inherit from the binocs, and just define a new model?
I doubt it though
As for the range finder..
Isn't there a function (On this site somewhere) that finds the distance from one unit to another in 3D terms?
(The distance command works on the x and y terms, ie, height doesn't come into things)

And use the titletext stuff to display it
Wait, the CoC tomahawks does something like this ;)
Hmm
(Use the LD with the enable laser weapons gamelogic)
GTG
- Ben

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2004, 21:59:24 »
Isn't there a function (On this site somewhere) that finds the distance from one unit to another in 3D terms?
(The distance command works on the x and y terms, ie, height doesn't come into things)

No, the distance command DOES take height into consideration. So the command you are looking for would be the distance command (player distance unit1).
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 01 Jun 2004, 20:09:35 »
Cool, didn't know that!
BTW, how does the laser desig. laser thing work?
IE it jumps onto the surface it's point to

Anyway, are the binos in the commented CPP files?
- Ben