Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Multiplayer list  (Read 1294 times)

Dubieman

Multiplayer list
« on: 03 May 2004, 19:54:06 »
I know you guys are mostly an editing/mission/add on/recruitment/forums/informative site but how about making a Multiplayer bulletin board resembling the recruitment depot. Then people can say what servers are going and ppl can post when they are playing so others can hook up. I think it would improve OFPEC since ppl do submit multiplayer missions, it seems appropiate... :)

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
Re:Multiplayer list
« Reply #1 on: 04 May 2004, 06:49:51 »
Hi GuiltyRoachKilla,

While we certainly appreciate the suggestion, we won't be chasing down this idea as it would start moving the site away from an "Editing Only" site, to a more general one.

This subject came up in a thread in the BI Forums, and interest was shown there in the idea you're suggesting. Maybe chase it down through there?

:)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
« Reply #2 on: 04 May 2004, 18:20:29 »
I think its a good idea too. I have been trying to break into the multiplayer community for some time and I just can't seem to find out how to do it.
However what Noon says is right. This is an editing site. Shame.  :'(
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2004, 00:29:50 »
Sounds like your against this but what about the testing of MP missions submitted here? It would keep OFPEC a mainly editing site but with a LIST of when ppl
are going to be on or servers available. In no way would it be a site for ppl to convene like gamespy nor would it be in the forums. Just a list or topic board resembling the recruitment depot's structure.
I'll look into the other sites forums though.
« Last Edit: 05 May 2004, 00:30:50 by GuiltyRoachKilla »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2004, 04:00:22 »
We're only against this idea being done at OFPEC, but as I say in the thread I point to, the idea has merit if another site/team wants to dedicate resources and time to chase it up.

But keep in mind that the logistics of running a realtime 'schedule' of players and servers is quite significant. Not to mention the fluidity of people's lives day to day, where you might be relying on a couple of people to appear online as they advertised, but they might have had something come up.
As you can see, even after 5 minutes of consideration of this idea, the implementation starts hitting a few snags.

OFPEC simply isn't the site to run this. There are sites better suited, sites dedicated to squads and MP gameplay, that would recieve the right kind of traffic to run this idea.

PS: The testing of MP missions is already taken care of by a trusted and constant team, which is important. Using a varying number of random people to test MP missions leads to nasty inconsistencies and brings the reviews into disrepute.
Its also very hard to get people to write review notes and submit them when all they want to do is play. ;)

Hope this helps you understand our position on this idea.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2004, 04:22:32 »
Yeah snags everywhere i see, but it would make OFPEC a little better but I'll drop it here. :wave:

Yeah and that constant team, that's the first I've heard of that, I must be behind in the times. :tomato: