Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: mission must start with "black in"  (Read 560 times)

Uber-Pea

mission must start with "black in"
« on: 14 Jun 2004, 13:49:51 »
Hiho guys, I've got a problem, but i guess its nothing serious.
So, I'm currently working on an MP-coop-mission, but as we all know, they don't support intros.
So my idea was setting a cutscene inside the actual mission before the player can't do anything and to override the loading time of the coc_obelisk, etc...
No everything works fine, I have a presence activated trigger that is activated directly when the mission starts, runs camera.sqs and all. BUT, you see half a second of your player before the cutscene begins, thats not too bad, but it could be removed, im sure. Now, setting a blackin at the beginning of the camera.sqs doesnt work of course, as the trigger needs its time anyway (I guess). So where to put it else. I considered somewhere in the mission.sqm, but im pretty sure that won't help. Maybe in the description.ext?

Where to put the titlecut blackin command to work directly when the mission begins?

Uber-Pea

And remember: You can't play my beautiful missions if you dont give detailed answers :-)

*He who is still surprised about the huge -and still alive- community of ofp.*

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:mission must start with "black in"
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2004, 14:03:40 »
Call the camera script from the init line of a unit, not a trigger.   (It will start sooner because all init codes are executed before and triggers.   I think.   If you really do want a trigger to fire at the beginning of a mission, don't use anybody present:  instead, write

true

in the Condition line.)

Description.ext/mission.sqm definitely won't help, but a blackin in the init.sqs might - worth a try.

PS - MP mission do support Intros, it's just that the MP community - for reasons which are well beyond the comprehension of my little brain - doesn't like them.   Cutscenes are also unpopular, so the general advice would be to keep it short 'n' sweet.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2004, 14:07:43 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Uber-Pea

« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2004, 14:47:33 »
It definitely is "short n sweet" ;-)

Thanks for your great n simple help, it really worked for me.

Another addition to ofpecs problem library ;-)

Uber-Pea

U should visit rathergood.com and watch "Tales of the Blode-Episode 6"

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2004, 15:29:28 »
A professional way of doing it is to launch your cutscene from init.sqs which is read at the same time as init lines of units (or even before).

Use
titlecut ["","black out",0.000001]
in the init.sqs to start of with a black screen to get rid of the flash. Or put it in the first line of the cutscene script and execute it from the init.sqs. Then it would look like this.

In init.sqs
[] exec "mycutsceneintro.sqs"

In mycutsceneintro.sqs
titlecut ["","black out",0.000001]

/edit
Want me to copy/paste this to the other thread you started in the other board? I can do that if you want me to.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2004, 15:30:51 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Uber-Pea

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2004, 15:43:18 »
No need to copy it but thanks for your advice. The professional way seems to be more secure, thanks.
Sorry for 2 threads but after i posted 1 i thought in cutscenes board noone will read it ;-)

Uber-Pea

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jun 2004, 16:14:44 »
If you post in one board and don't get much of a response, the best thing to do is PM a mod and ask him to move the thread for you.

And of course, calling the script from init.sqs ... duh-oh ... that's even how I do it ....  ::)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play