Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Realism Script - More Wounds, Less Death!  (Read 18133 times)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
Re:Realism Script - More Wounds, Less Death!
« Reply #15 on: 29 Apr 2004, 08:48:41 »
Im not sure what you mean exactly, but if you get shot enough to normally die, you will die anyway.

If you get shot not enough to die, you will instead take a wound. If your wounded, it goes into the script. The script can also handle more than one wound. ::)

I think that covers every possibility for what you mean, if not just get on my ass. ;D

RonMcAsskick

« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2004, 11:21:54 »
Hi,

I'm writing the script now for nightstalker and i must admit i had noticed the damage done to certain areas can be extremely unrelated to the hit scored (a shot to the foot managed to score me a kill when i was testing the damage done by wounds from an M16) the medical animations and effects will partially make up for this as you will no longer be just shot and die miraculously but instead suffer for example an arterial wound which will be plainly visible to everyone.  This will explain why you died if not comfort you to the fact you were shot.

however if I do notice pproblems in the balance the simple answer is to reduce the damage of guns used for example in the nightstalker mod so that everyone is doing less damage and allow the woundscripts to make up for it

Ron

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2004, 15:05:22 »
OK, cool.

Why are you reading this BTW, get the bloody script done! :D

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2004, 16:47:59 »
Hehehehe :P
What about, if the person is dead, a random chance that they will be setdammage back to 0.9?
(Does this work on dead units? I can't remeber)

- Ben

silent_64

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2004, 19:46:21 »
Not it doesn't but as I'm not a scripter I wouldn't be able to say for sure. But as far as I know it's not designed to heal you only to detect where you've been hit and how badly, it's all pretty simple, you're not going live if you get hit by a .50 cal the dammage is to high, but let's say you take a bullet in your guts, then the wound would be selected by the dammage you've taken, you may lay with your guts on the ground or you may just bleed alot.

Simple, and it is going a bloody mess with the help of very very violent animations :)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #20 on: 29 Apr 2004, 19:59:52 »
If I understood Ron correctly the damage of all guns are reduced so people die when they die but people get more serious injuries, something that is even better than just amazingly regenerate a dead guy. This would also work a lot better since for example a dead regenerate script would randomly regenerate a guy blown up by a LGB but the Nightstalker Mod Script would not. If you ask me this script would be one of the best things that has happend to OFP if all Ron and Pathy is true and actually works. It could class itself with SEB Nam Pack 2, CoC Arty and all that great stuff even though it's jsut a script.

Hail Nightstalker Mod!

:beat: *Gets Nightstalked* :beat:

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #21 on: 29 Apr 2004, 22:36:26 »
Yup, and soon as i have no other imput on the script, i am going to claim its my brainchild ;D....aww cmon guys you gotta give me some reason to be in the credits  :'( ....lol (and you did laugh at me and say i was too ambitious with it.....)

You understand correctly though. This script should not alter the numbers of dead people from how many would normally die in a situation. What i mean is, if your in a situation where half your squad would normally end up incapacitated (in OFP, thats dead), it will still be like that. What will change is the nature of that. OFP basically represents both deaths and critical wounds with just death. So number of initial deaths will be decreased, but the script should make the number of wounded (who can be medically treated, but will still likely be out of the action.....) match that.

The tricky bit will be balancing that to get it working effectively. When its in a testable stage (think, 2 weeks at max, tho Mr McAsskick is away for the weekend.), we will be adressing things like that. If it turns out that everyone ends up dying before having a chance to wound, weapon strengths will just have to be turned down until we reach a stage where theres a nice balance between units being shot dead and being wounded.

We are also doing some nice stuff with hidden selections so that, for example, when a medic treats a unit it will appear as if his hands get covered in blood  ;D

*cough* more animators *cough* (those will ultimately be the hold up)
« Last Edit: 29 Apr 2004, 22:40:13 by Pathy »

DaveDash

« Reply #22 on: 30 Apr 2004, 03:56:58 »
Yup, and soon as i have no other imput on the script, i am going to claim its my brainchild ;D....aww cmon guys you gotta give me some reason to be in the credits  :'( ....lol (and you did laugh at me and say i was too ambitious with it.....)

You understand correctly though. This script should not alter the numbers of dead people from how many would normally die in a situation. What i mean is, if your in a situation where half your squad would normally end up incapacitated (in OFP, thats dead), it will still be like that. What will change is the nature of that. OFP basically represents both deaths and critical wounds with just death. So number of initial deaths will be decreased, but the script should make the number of wounded (who can be medically treated, but will still likely be out of the action.....) match that.

The tricky bit will be balancing that to get it working effectively. When its in a testable stage (think, 2 weeks at max, tho Mr McAsskick is away for the weekend.), we will be adressing things like that. If it turns out that everyone ends up dying before having a chance to wound, weapon strengths will just have to be turned down until we reach a stage where theres a nice balance between units being shot dead and being wounded.

We are also doing some nice stuff with hidden selections so that, for example, when a medic treats a unit it will appear as if his hands get covered in blood  ;D

This sounds like pretty much what I have been after from OFP since the beginning.

Now if someone could only fix the AI.... :)

silent_64

« Reply #23 on: 30 Apr 2004, 14:02:45 »
weapon strengths will just have to be turned down until we reach a stage where theres a nice balance between units being shot dead and being wounded.

I can tell you now Pathy, that I don't think we're going to find that balance, the best way to do it would be with improved armor ratings to simulate body armor, that way you would still be able to our weapons against BIS men.

I know :) ;)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #24 on: 30 Apr 2004, 16:43:16 »
I dont agree with you over the balance thing, it can be done with weapons. Either way we do it, either boosting units armour or reducing weapon strenghts, people are still going to have to change thier addons to match with us.

For the uninitiated, this is an issue of, we need weapons to do less damage to units, otherwise there is little point having a wound system, if all the units die without initiating it, because the guns are too powerful or the units are too weak.  The solution is either to decrease weapon powers or to increase unit armour until a nice balance is reached.

Neither of these will affect Nightstalker MOD, as a total conversion, we will engineer the thing to work for us.
But for other people who want to use it elsewhere (for sure a version will be released for use in general OFP, as well as for other mods), they will STILL have to edit either their units armour or weapons power. Of course it wont be as hard for you as it is for us, as we will issue advice on what we found to be the best balance, so you wont have to the testing.

The point is, which is easier, increasing units armour or decreasing weapons power? Probably increasing armour, i agree with Silent_64 there.

Anyway, we wont know until it is tested. Testing may reveal we do not even need to make changes, we can only tell at that later time.

And yes we need animators, i suppose we should be grateful we have 2 (silent_64 and maddog)

m21man

« Reply #25 on: 30 Apr 2004, 18:24:06 »
I can tell you now Pathy, that I don't think we're going to find that balance, the best way to do it would be with improved armor ratings to simulate body armor, that way you would still be able to our weapons against BIS men.
BIS soldiers wear body armor in the newest version of the primary config ;) ;D . That ought to even things up a bit...
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2004, 18:24:55 by m21man »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #26 on: 30 Apr 2004, 19:31:39 »
Guys. It should be easy to just do the stuff with the EH hit or killed. Reduce the damage a bit on every unit untill you have got a nice balance. You don't have to fool around with addons config and stuff like that. The only problem is that this would 'cause a bit more lag but I think we can live with that. ;)

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #27 on: 30 Apr 2004, 20:43:30 »
sounds like it could work a treat. And would make it more universal. Also consider though, unit addons are going to have to be "enabled" anyway, by the inclusion of the required hidden selections..... (unless you want us to skip it, which means youd loose out on shrapnel cuts on faces,  blood on medics hands, ect...... ::))

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #28 on: 30 Apr 2004, 21:33:40 »
Of course that is nice but let's save that for the Nightstalker Mod itself instead. :) Makes it kinda special. :)

Kammak

« Reply #29 on: 30 Apr 2004, 22:29:49 »
Just throwing in my opinion again - seems kinda @ss-backwards to put out a new addon and state *everyone* else needs to adjust their addon to work correctly...and the end result is just eye candy - showing more gore for wounds.  As you stated, the actual combat results won't change (wounded/killed ratios) so all we are talking about is gore effects and some added medic logic?

Again, just my opinion, but I really don't care for that in the first place.  The "dead" in OFP are either truly dead or incapacitated and out of the fight...which is fine with me.  Adding more gore to the already incapacitated (and gamewise now irrelevant) units just takes away cycles and framerates that I would prefer to spend on better AI or combat/logic related scripting, or not spend at all.

I think most of the weapons are pretty well balanced so far.  The 5.56mm are taking two+ hits to incapacitate, which is right in line with the AARs coming out of Iraq.  If anything, I think the JAM 7.62 and 7.62 sniper rounds are underpowered right now.  I would certainly not use an addon that further weakens the weapons.  After all, in real life most bad guys don't wear interceptor armor, and two 5.56mm hits are going to HURT....

What would be very realistic though somewhat taxing on cycles would be bleed-out for AI, similar to the human player bleedout in the Marine Assault Pack.

Again, tap a bad guy twice with a 5.56mm and he may not drop right away, but after ten minutes+ he won't be shooting straight, if he is even still standing by then.  As many of my missions last over an hour, that would have a big effect.

Anyway, all IMHO.  The great thing about addons is everyone is free to use or not use!  :)