Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Radio Codes and Trigger Switches (This should be easy for you guys!)  (Read 771 times)

shadow99

Right, as macuba suggested I read the tute on switching triggers, and found it very useful. There are a thousand and one things I can use it for already... but the ONE thing I want it to do NOW, it just won't do...

Okay, here's my problem:

I have a mission, where on Radio Code Delta, a helicopter comes and picks you up. After reading the tutorial I thought "Right, I can have the chopper cycle, and then make a switch trigger activated by radio code Delta and then I can make it pick up the player (BTW, "Load" does this, right?) and everything will be happy".

I ran a simple test for this:

I made ONE MOVE waypoint for the chopper, and then a CYCLE waypoint. After this, I put a DESTROY waypoint (because I don't know if LOAD would pick up the player, furthermore I don't know how to use it) on a civilian.

I set a switch trigger, and in the "activated by" field I put "Radio Code Delta". I didn't put anything in condition apart from "this" (I figuered this could be my problem) and previewed.

Okay, the chopper went to its first waypoint, stopped at the cycle. Good. I radio-ed Delta and it didn't kill the civilian.

For those of you are confused and could just give me a much easier way of doing things:

I want a chopper to pick up the player when the player activates Radio Code Delta.

Oh, and also, can I get a chopper to land at a certain point and ait for the player to board it using waypoints, and once the player is on, go and land at another location again?

Sorry for the long, frustrating post.

Drwyd

Try this mate

stick it in C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\Users\shadow99orwhatever\missions

shadow99

Thanks man, that's excellent. There's just one problem, though.

I only want Radio Delta to become available once something is achieved.

I've got "enableRadio Delta" on one of critical triggers, but when I looked through the Command Reference and found that stupidly, there is no "disableRadio" feature.

How do I disable Radio Delta as soon as the mission starts?

Thanks, Drwyd, I can use this chopper method for a lot of things.

FLBEE

Hi.

You can put in your radio trigger condition field: this and !yourrequirement
' yourrequirement ' will be false (! means false) when the goal you want is achieved, but this means you will have to set up another trigger that on activation makes yourrequirment = false.

OK, lets say that when 'badguy1' is killed  the helo can be called in.
trigger1:
activated by none
condition- not alive badguy1
on activation- yourrequirment = false

trigger2
activated by radio
condition- this and ! yourrequirement
on activation- what you want done

or you can have your radio trigger syncronised with the helo land waypoint.

I don't know what has to be achieved in your mission to allow the helo to be called, but sometimes triggers alone can be a little restrciting. If you use a script to recognise when your goal has been acheived, you can have a wide range of requirments.
I guess thats for another topic tho. I hope this isn't confusing the problem any further  ;D

Drwyd

Found it  ;D easier than i thought it would be

use 4 setRadioMsg "NULL" to hide the radio item and

4 setRadioMsg "Call in Shadow's helo" to enable it

mission attached

shadow99

<Sigh> I don't like this one...

I tried using your method, FLBEE but I couldn't get the chopper to go where I wanted it to go, and I don't want into creating waypoints with triggers; only turning them on and off.

Drwyd, I used bits of your method, and it disabled Radio-Code Delta, but my trigger with "enableRadio Delta" didn't work!

You see, I didn't want the pop-up messages you had so I just took the player inisilization you had. Is there another way of disabling Radio Delta, so it can be turned ON using "enableRadio Delta" and minus he pop-up messages?

It clashes with some of my camera parts.

shadow99

Oh, silly me. I feel like an idiot. I really do wish I could use my own common sense sometimes.

I simply changed "Call in helo" to "Delta" and completely erased the radio hints.

Thanks Drwyd, you helped me a lot.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
The Tutorial Mission has an example of exactly what you want, except that the chopper comes in to zap some tanks rather than pick you up.   Play the mission then take it to bits in the Mission Editor and copy the bits you need.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

shadow99

Argh... not AGAIN. Even Drwyd's method is not working now. I've coped exactly what he had, moved things round a bit, but when I call for the chopper it just flies to the place I want... and past it, and doesn't stop! Well, it does eventually but it is in some random place.

Guess I'll have to have a look at that tutorial macguba, except... WHAT tutorial mission?

Drwyd

If there are hostiles in the area set the helo to "never fire" and it should ignore them. Not sure if this is the problem but it might help

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Ed Depot - Tutorials - Getting Started - Tutorial Mission by macguba.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

shadow99

Okay thanks, I'll experiment with both.