Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: daisycutters  (Read 3565 times)

suit

daisycutters
« on: 22 Feb 2004, 21:00:50 »
could be violent ;D

Dubieman

Re:daisycutters
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2004, 00:50:56 »
I'd agree, I heard those things make one hell of an impact and explosion.:tomato:

Kinda big for some planes though, you might need a real bomber or a big plane.
Hudson's F18 has some nice bombs though. The b61 mini nuke seems like it could fill the daisycutter role but an atomic cloud isn't very realistic nor is the damage it inflicts.
The current GBUs and MKs are okay but maybe having a bigger blast range would help?The bombs that turn into bomblets and spread out ggt the job done though.

Would be cool to see...

bigdog632

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2004, 04:07:16 »
the C-130 usually delivers this bomb  if ya can make the C130 addon drop a bomb there ya go

GoodspeedForever

« Reply #3 on: 27 Feb 2004, 17:59:48 »
What would you plausibly use a nuke for though (b61 mini nuke or whatever)

calm_terror

« Reply #4 on: 27 Feb 2004, 18:06:16 »
makign a big boom and pretty light along with that cool cloud. aside from that. nothing. it is near impossible for the airplane to get out of the way and it destories everytihng for 2km.. and the ai can not use it effectival it will end up killing itself and everytihng friendly unit near the target.
why you think nukes are not used more in real life aside from world opions

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 27 Feb 2004, 21:53:52 »
Well I would not use the nuke in any of my missions cause of the reasons above. To make it real, you need radiation poisoning in the area.

Anyways just get rid of the mushroom cloud and huge blast range to have something resembling a daisycutter.

Good fun to wath 10 tank platoons get wiped out by two F18s hehehehe. ;D

m21man

« Reply #6 on: 27 Feb 2004, 22:30:52 »
To make it real, you need radiation poisoning in the area.

I'll save myself the time and just quote Grendel:
To put a long scientific explanination in simple terms, the levels of post detonation radiation (alpha/beta particles) given off by a small tactical nuke would not cause any major health problems for several days -even in relatively large doses. Radiation Poisoning and the resulting symptoms are the same as any infection caused by large scale cellular death (tissue necrosis), and low scale particle ingestion ussually doesn't cause symptoms for years (cancer / mutation of DNA)

swift88

« Reply #7 on: 03 Mar 2004, 13:29:10 »
in vietnam the C-123 delivered the package the maj of the time.......

obviously the C-123 isnt used by the USAF now... apart from a few like National gaurd maybe... wats that film with that monkey which has the Virus and the C-123 has to drop the daisy cutter ?????

bigdog632

« Reply #8 on: 03 Mar 2004, 18:36:45 »
outbreak, but according to the film that wasnt a daisey cutter, according to other posts in here.
the bomb in that was an FAE, the daisey cutter isnt, so it says

but anyway the DC requires a large transport to carry it it weighs somewhere around 16000 pounds

OrangeLeader

« Reply #9 on: 04 Mar 2004, 06:40:37 »
Basically you need to use a C-130 or larger.  C-130 addons are already out there. All that needs to be made is an object is "ejected" form the plane and then floats to the ground by paracute where it then explodes.

Side note: I like this idea but I don't see it as pratical. It can only be used in a stituation where there is air superiority. This type of weapon is slow to get into action. Trust me you don't just shove several thousand pounds of explosives into a C-130 in 10 minutes. Also as seen in Iraq with the MOHA(Mother Of All Bombs) this type of weapons is used for intimidation. The air force dropped one oustide of an Iraqi city during the "shock and awh" campaign. If the aim of this addon is for a cut scene the effect can be done with the C-130 addon and some scripting to creat a large explosion.

fragsta

« Reply #10 on: 04 Mar 2004, 22:05:40 »
Hawk's C130 doesn't work with the CoC nuke torpedo (used as a bomb) I attached it and when I dropped it, it just exploded inside the C130. If you want it to work you have to be going upwards at about 45 degrees or more. But even then it shakes the plane and the nuke goes all over the place, completely missing the target. Hawk, if you read this, give the C130 a weapon slot other than the flare, please.

OrangeLeader

« Reply #11 on: 04 Mar 2004, 22:15:29 »
In real life that is how some large weapons are deployed. The C-130 is pushed to the limits. The ones OFP are good but are not realistic enough when it comes to actual power. That is a limitation that we have to deal with.

Semith

« Reply #12 on: 07 Mar 2004, 17:32:09 »
How do you completely miss the target with a nuke?

duckfoot

« Reply #13 on: 09 Mar 2004, 17:00:10 »
One word. MOAB. well, an acronym.

stands for 'Mother Of All Bombs'

If you've ever played C&C Generals, you will know how deadly this is to troops, tanks, aircraft etc.

And most large bombs, Nukes, DC's, etc. are detonated in the air, to create shockwaves and things, which creates more destuction, etc.

Either way, very cool.

bigdog632

« Reply #14 on: 12 Mar 2004, 04:10:57 »
thought it was Massive Ordinance Air Burst

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2004, 11:08:26 »
I think that would have made more sense.. Acctualy :P
Anyone gonna try this?
Oh, and Virtual SAS has two C130 planes on there site (www.ofpsas.com).. There pretty good.. V2 is just an updated version with better textures..
- Ben
BTW.. It looks as if the site is down!!!! I'll email it to anyone who wants it.. Just PM me

duckfoot

« Reply #16 on: 14 Mar 2004, 20:45:45 »
hehehe.... ;D

Just a nickname...

If you see it explode, you would probably call it that too...

Offline Grizzlie

• Members
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2004, 13:17:27 »
I'm wandering if it would be possible to use "daisycutter" in OFP to next most common use for it - to clear place for chopper landing place. It would be nice to be able to drop one on the forrest and have lets say 100 meters in diameter place free of woods, rocks, ect. :)

Coldfire

« Reply #18 on: 21 Mar 2004, 21:22:54 »
Didn't BAS's Mh-47 have the ability to carry cargo (i.e. jeeps)? Why not use a similar script on a C-130 and make the DC a vehical? Then u just have a button in the action menu to "Release cargo" and when the DC or MOAB gets close enough to the ground a script detonates it... and flatens everything within a couple of hundred meters? I wouldn't mind having one of those in some of my Missions.... ;D

OrangeLeader

« Reply #19 on: 21 Mar 2004, 22:24:32 »
yeah, all you would have to do is change the crate object the Mh-47 drops to something that looks like a big bomb. Then shift it to the C-130. Make an explosion when the object hits the ground and then delete the object. If some one want to make this please make it general. I would like to drop military equipment from a C-130 not just a bomb.

bigdog632

« Reply #20 on: 03 Apr 2004, 08:51:33 »
with a bomb capable of that what more do you need equipment-wise ;D

Dubieman

« Reply #21 on: 03 Apr 2004, 16:31:15 »
Some forests can't be destroyed , the green parts of the map.

I've tried nukes yet the forset still stands, building however....

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #22 on: 05 Apr 2004, 19:18:22 »
Hmm, the C47 (WWII plane) I downloaded from www.ofp.info new page (Might be in the archive page by now.. Though it wasn't that long ago), there was an option to do a supply drop.. And that drop, strangly, suppies.. By parachute..
Will look in to it..
- Ben