Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Community a bit quiet recently?  (Read 3986 times)

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
    • Bob's Un-official Flashpoint Page
Community a bit quiet recently?
« on: 20 Feb 2004, 08:19:01 »
Capt'n Winters pointed this out over at Ofp.info and I think he might be right.
The community seems a little flat since the relaunch of Ofpec. I hope this doesn't mean a decline of interest! I'm gonna put it down to people playing the CLSA mod I think, just to calm my nerves.
What do you guys think?  :-[
James Andrew Wilkinson 1977 - 2005 R.I.P.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Re:Community a bit quiet recently?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Feb 2004, 09:08:06 »
Hallo,

i think the OFPEC Outtime and the age of OFP took some people away.  (Of course i will always love OFP). The other things is that a lot of AddOns and things are already done.  Even i see sometimes Miracles happen (Animals).
IMHO the core community will be still be around. The rest comes back with the release of OFP 2. (Or not, depending how good the game is)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 20 Feb 2004, 10:59:27 »
We've certainly seen this before. OFPEC has been down many times and every time it's started out a bit quiet. The most die hard fans are always here, and the 'normal people' will return also. It's not even a matter of faith, we've seen it always happen before  ;)
Not all is lost.

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 20 Feb 2004, 13:06:57 »
I think the reason is rather OFP than OFPEC. OFP is quite a few years old now and that a game community is getting smaller when the game ages is a natural thing. It's worse for other games than for OFP but we're not immune to that either.

Just wait for OFP2 and you'll see that we will be prepared. ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2004, 14:11:16 »
well since this is the first time i've seen you out of your hole sefe, im guessing OFPEC has a whole load of things planned for the release of OFP2 - and agreed, like every game the number of people and interest is declining, but OFP has retained a very large fan base compared to others, like CS did... generally because it is and remains a groundbreaking game (then BF42 copied it) and because of addons and the ability to make missions relativly easily...

its still alive.... i've been here nearly 3 years  :o
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2004, 15:37:43 »
This page has stats on activity in the OFPEC forum.     You can also get to it from the main forum page, its a very obscure link near the bottom.

As you can see, interest halved overnight a year ago after Christmas, but this year it has held up extremely well.     We've had 77 new members this month already, that's somebody taking up OFP mission editing every six hours which for a three year old game isn't bad.

Can't speak for other sites or the community at large but OFPEC is still thriving.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2004, 19:37:53 »
17/2/2004 was a good day  :D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

fragsta

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2004, 23:08:08 »
OFP is my favourite game because of it's ever expanding....expandingness....it never gets old for me, and there's always something new every day, pretty much. Just look at OFP.info...how often do they have news? Something like 7 times a day? Often it's about somebody making a weapon pack that has already been made, but it's still something new.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #8 on: 24 Feb 2004, 00:53:35 »
it quite cuz i didnt spam here latly  :P  :-X

sry life is takin heavy toll around dis area nd da politics is f00kin wats left  :'( so if ny1 got som spare taam... send it 2 me  ;)  ;D i surely need it... if only 2 sleep  ;D

but i stay loyal 2 ma lady OFP....  8) 4ever (im thinkin bout killin all da ppl i know wen OFP2 gets released..... so i can play it w/o ny1 botherin me... ny idea 4 da way of getin dis done ?

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 18:18:48 »
Send them all a Britney album.
"If it ain't the friggin' incoming it's the friggin' outgoing. Only difference is who gets the friggin' grease, and that ain't no friggin' difference at all."

Captain Winters

« Reply #10 on: 26 Feb 2004, 03:59:07 »
lol, ive been around here eveyrday, just to lazy to log in :X  ::) OFP ill neevr die over here!

Tanks! 8)

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #11 on: 26 Feb 2004, 20:27:07 »
As Sefe so rightly put it, it's more down to OFP than anything else. The game is old, and with some of the new releases out there, more and more people are being tempted away, for dare I say it, simpler games.

The crux of OFP, is not the game. It's the Editing, that makes it stand out and makes it very special, compared to most other games.
For example, for the past year, I have been playing a lot of Battlefield 1942, and it's a great game.

It's smooth, it's fast, it can be tactical if you are in a Clan, and it can be very challenging and engaging.

Compare to OFP, OFP is paced, tactical, strategical, and requires extreme patience and excellent timing, all of the time, even in public servers.

So naturally, the two games, identify the genre and its different machinations, and so alot of people went for the smoother, simpler option, for the hard paced, brutal action, as opposed to the more thinking mans game, of OFP.

Still, OFPEC itself has been through many a downtime, and is still here, is still functioning, and is still the great place it always has been, and will always continue to be.

It's ran by a group of dedicated, excellent people, and with those kind of faces behind the scenes, it'll never die.

That's why the army invented medics.

:D
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #12 on: 01 Mar 2004, 22:50:28 »
My theory is that we all migrated to other OFP forums for the duration of the downtime, and are only just getting back into the ofpec swing of things

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #13 on: 02 Mar 2004, 00:06:02 »

...The game is old, and ...more and more people are being
tempted away, for dare I say it, simpler games.

true that, especially the younger gamers I believe. look how really simple stuff
(I didn't dare call it "crap") like Counterpuke or those kinda shooters just seem
to live on & on forevermore... man, thats games made for kids like my 8 y. o. son!

:P *Tomb vomits biggo-timo now*  :P

:) anyweasel, I think that Pathy is right too, ofpec WAS 'the house' but got revamped at
the wrong time (in the right way though), then the site got hacked (or whatever the truth is),
and many many ppl just didn't have the strength/patience/dedication etc. to hang in there
and wait for yet another "here we are, back stronger than ever" etc.  :)

Plus, some other sites grew bigger, and the official forums never experienced any of these
"deadzone" -months of reorganisation or alike that are so dangerous for a fansite,
(fansites are like newspapers to me - they always have to be first & best to stay alive/ remain interesting).

Despite all this, it is my personal opinion that if it wasn't for good old OFPEC, Tomb would of never
ever had learned ANY english at all.  ::) ;D Now, people can understand my typing and
some even reply occationally!  :D ;D
This wouldn't have happened without the ofpec staff core  :-* and nor would my kiddo have had
any funny missions to fool around with... (but my ol' lady would of gotten some more though!)

:-X ;D

I think its somehow nice that we are a smaller community now,
and I am very happy to see how n00bs still login here in
the sewers of editing to get those wet editor-ears filled up with
our nonsense. :thumbsup: ;D

(I can't wait to become an ofp-2 n00b myself.)  8)

CHEERS bud's!  :-* :cheers:

« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2004, 00:07:53 by Tomb »

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #14 on: 02 Mar 2004, 01:12:00 »
Despite all this, it is my personal opinion that if it wasn't for good old OFPEC, Tomb would of never
ever had learned ANY english at all.

I just realised your entire post made perfect sense. When did that happen!? I recall you used to make these weird posts, one of your main attractions.  ;D

official forums never experienced any of these
"deadzone"

It depends how you quantify these things. True, the Official Forums are always there, but at the same time, OFPEC doesn't have massive jpg's of pe**ses that are ejaculating, on its Forums.
(The Official one did, I still recall getting into a huge row over the moderating of the Forum over that)

At the same time though, and this is something that needs to be pointed out when people raise these questions, or discuss the way OFPEC has its downtime.

OFPEC is one of the few mainstream, big websites for a game, that is hosted and run 100% by the group itself. They don't pay anyone for it, they don't hire any Company for it, it's sitting in HuBBas house somewhere, chugging away.

Quite a feat, when you look at the logistics.

So the benefits of that, are that OFPEC can dictate how and when it comes and goes, has no advertising, and is 100% homegrown success.

The downside, is they have to go offline for upgrades, system revamps.

Still, OFPEC will be here long into the future.

Twenty years from now, visit: www.ofpec.com and you'll see it's still here...

[size=0]If only because I still have Domain ownership, and will keep it going for the rest of my life![/size]
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

micropilot

« Reply #15 on: 02 Mar 2004, 18:44:26 »
I just realised your entire post made perfect sense. When did that happen!? I recall you used to make these weird posts, one of your main attractions.

Yea,  What happened to all the scrolls and spells and all that other non-sense?  

BTW Tomb: Your English writing skills are very good !!!!
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2004, 18:45:49 by micropilot »

mikeb

« Reply #16 on: 02 Mar 2004, 19:35:37 »
hope you guys never go!!!  am out in japan for the next 12 months and will be unable to play - i'm gonna miss all this.  by time i get back ofp 2 will probably be released and the hours i spent on all this will drift away and noone will help me make missions, and...

now i'm sad....

:-[

fragsta

« Reply #17 on: 02 Mar 2004, 22:08:40 »
Still, OFPEC will be here long into the future.

Twenty years from now, visit: www.ofpec.com and you'll see it's still here...

[size=0]If only because I still have Domain ownership, and will keep it going for the rest of my life![/size]

I was just thinking about that today. I was thinking...when I'm a rich games developer I will go back to ofpec and see all the new people there talking about the script for OFP 5 where you can make the BIS official spaceship addon change it's gravitation pull with a few simple lines... ;D

Offline The-Architect

• Former Staff
  • Bite my shiny metal...
« Reply #18 on: 03 Mar 2004, 00:00:34 »
Once they've thawed your body out you can play the latest flashpoint and go multiplayer online 3D with those crazy people on the Mars colony. If you get too upset you can teleport up there and give them a piece of your mind.

In fact you can upload it straight to them over the super~cyber~mega~intra~systematic~12,000,000kbps~connection~ network~servermatic.

And if they don't like it we'll start a war. Yeah! Us versus the mars people. We'll kick they're asses and give mars back to the little red people and... and... and...
Yep.
It's gonne be great.  ;D