Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Realistic Combat Patrol  (Read 16177 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:The most realistic OFP experience EVER!
« Reply #30 on: 07 Mar 2004, 06:43:29 »
Thanks for the feedback guys! But please note:

There is a very annoying bug on the last objective. If you have POWs near the village, or if guys in the village surrender, the objective WON"T complete, until you move the captives out of the area (or kill the guys who surrendered). Also, sometimes when you take a captive, he will fall to the ground, seemingly dead. He IS NOT dead, so if a captive does that near the village, just shoot him to make sure the objective finishes.

I've got a newer version that is almost finished, but I've just been so busy the last couple weeks, I haven't had time to finish it and upload it. In the next version, I'll have more voices, your squad will follow you faster, you will have a place to drop off POWs at your base, POWs will run away if noone is near, and the above bug will be fixed, along with more. Then I just have to make the rest of the missions, and I should have a great campaign :D
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Bohemia boy

« Reply #31 on: 07 Mar 2004, 12:54:11 »
It is one of the best missions but I still aint completed it!  ;D

sim

That is a point it did take me a hell of a lot of retys to finish it. It toke me a week of playing it to finish it and even then i was the last one alive at the end.

I am not a crap player I have completed all the campaigns.

11 dead 0 POW's (I had one and shoot him (thought i would still get the points?))

[Edit] put pints instead of points  ::)
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2004, 12:56:21 by Bohemia boy »

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
« Reply #32 on: 07 Mar 2004, 22:04:09 »
It is bloody hard! i havnt really had much of a chance to play today, but I did get a couple of goes in this morning and still didnt complete it  :) shows how good it is though if i keep going bk  ;D

Can't wait for nxt version and especialy cant wait for your campaign!

keep up the gr8 work!  ;D

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #33 on: 08 Mar 2004, 02:57:17 »
Lol, yeah, I realize its way too hard :). I kinda wanted to test a lot of things, like taking POWs, enemy arty, etc... That's fixed in the newer version (not finished yet). There are less enemies, and less enemy RTOs to call mortars on you.

@Bohemia Boy

You only get credit for living POWs who you bring back to the base at the end of the mission (within a hundred meters or so of the base).
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #34 on: 08 Mar 2004, 20:26:08 »
I kind of like the hardness, it gives it a more realistic Vietnam feeling then again it wuld be nice to be able to complete it, not that im crap but i did spend a gud deal of time not going on it in the summer.

cant wait for new version,  ;D

sim

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2004, 09:50:57 »
NEW VERSION UPLOADED!

There is a NEW ADDON required. Also, you will need to update your version of the handsignals addon. Check the first post for more details.

This mission is now considered "finished", so I'm going to start working on the campaign now. Any comments are still welcome. I'll be on vacation for the next week and a half though, so I won't be able to reply.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2004, 09:53:56 by General Barron »

kueter

« Reply #36 on: 19 Mar 2004, 00:13:44 »
Great, new version -- downloading now!  :D

Bohemia boy

« Reply #37 on: 01 Apr 2004, 13:09:10 »
56%

Men killed = 0
POW's      = 0

Best mission I have ever played.
I never lost a man this time  :D all art and air this time throught.
I saw a few POW's for a second but my men shot them. This maybe because I was falling back and they tryed to make run for it  :) I think you said you were going to do something about that.

Questions about the campaign

How many missions will there be?
Will all the missions be tested here?

Will there be a heli mission in the next one like securing a LZ and holding it while more troops and ammo are dropped ('we were soldiers' type thing)

Will there be a medi-evac radio command? (like securing a LZ on the map and calling in a heli )

BUGS

I did get error text at the top of the screen every time the heli shot.
A lot of my men didn't finish the heal animation on the rally command. It made them look like they were dead.

On a side not do you have any other missions that you have released?
if THERE DONE TO THIS STANDARD THEY MUST ROCK (dam caps lock)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Hope you had a good holiday

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #38 on: 02 Apr 2004, 01:42:57 »
@Bohemia Boy

Thanks for the comments :). But how did you manage to keep all of your men alive, but only get a 56% for the mission? Lol, you must have killed all the civvies in the town with your arty :P

Now I don't expect to make a very long campaign really. I haven't planned out all the missions, but I'd say it should be roughly 5-6 missions when completed. I'm definately planning on making a mission where you have to defend an LZ, though actually you'll probably help cover a retreat from the LZ, not an insertion. You'll also get a chance to fight the VC from the cover of your nifty firebase.

A medivac is a really good idea, and I have been seriously considering doing it. The idea would be that if you can get your "dead" men onto a medivac, then you will only lose half the points you otherwise would have lost for them. The only problem with it though, is that you have to be able to transport your "dead" men to the LZ if they get shot in the jungle. It would be possible to give the player a method of personally carrying a single wounded guy (with help of some custom animations), but it would be more difficult to make the AI do it; especially with your more limited control over your squad. So I'm still debating the idea. Any suggestions would be helpful :)

--------

I tend to take lots of time to finish projects, and I start more than I finish. I only have one other finished mission released. I made it over a year ago, so I wasn't as good at editing and especially scripting back then. However, it still is a pretty darn good mission (if I do say so myself :P ). One of these days I'll get around to making an updated version. Grab it here:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?ID=587

« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2004, 01:49:22 by General Barron »

Bohemia boy

« Reply #39 on: 02 Apr 2004, 11:27:47 »
Yep all the civs and a chicken. I would rather kill a million chickens then lose one of my American boys.

About the medi vac

I found a script that makes two ai units carry bodies from the field into a truck.
There are no custom animations for this but it works for me. Do you want me to email it?
They carry the body as if there was a stretcher between them.

It's called ‘support at a combat point'

About the injured thing

I can see the problem. You don't want to be calling a med vac every time a man gets injured when it can just be healed by the medic. So why not make a critically wounded option that would be a small chance of taking place so you wouldn't have to call for medi vac every few minutes.

Could you create a change that unit will not die and instead become critically wounded. Say a %20 or less chance that on receiving damage 1 he becomes critically wounded instead of dying..

Being critically injured would involve the unit losing the ability to fight, move and the ability to be healed by a medic (beyond the ability of a field medics skill) To make the unit look more dead you could make him run the heal animation with some screaming or moaning sound so he is sort of rolling around on the ground (might look crap I haven't tried it yet)  or get the heal animation to stop half way thought like the bug in the rally command. With a little blood it would look great for a badly wounded trooper.

Then you could make an action appear when you come close to the unit saying ‘move critically wounded trooper' that runs the ‘support at combat point' based script. Add some blood drip for effect (I think that can be done with the blood add-on in the mission)

Use your radio operator to make an emergency LZ.

Once at the LZ you drop the body, the heli lands two medics come out aircraft and pick up the body carry it to the aircraft and fly away.

as above

One more thing is it ok if I use your Radio operator script and hand signals script in my mission. It is unlikely that it will be released but just in case I do finish it.

Thanks for the link, i know what you mean about finishing projects I still go back and touch up my first missions.

You better not be on the net on your holiday, go get a beer and try not to think about opf (I know its hard)

« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2004, 11:32:31 by Bohemia boy »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #40 on: 02 Apr 2004, 21:31:32 »
Yeah, I've seen the script you are talking about, and I thought about using that one too. Only problem with that is it requires two people to carry one guy, and I already mentioned the control difficulties with the AI. I have been thinking about adding a command for your teams to "pick up wounded", and I may look into that further.

By all means, go ahead and use my support scripts for your own mission. There are a LOT of scripts in the mission, but the ones you want are in a folder called "RTO". Start off by looking at "rto1.sqs" and "rto2.sqs"; then it should be clear how the other scripts work. It should be easy enough to change the artillery/ammo scripts for your own use.

In my mission, the radio is disabled. To see the radio messages when calling support, the radio is reenabled for a brief period, then disabled again. So instead of using:

bob sidechat "I am talking now"
bob sideradio "radio1"

I use:

[bob, "I am talking now"] exec "sidechat.sqs"
[bob, "radio1"] exec "sideradio.sqs"

Where you see those script calls, you can simply replace them with a regular sidechat.

Offline Arctic

• Members
  • In Utero
« Reply #41 on: 03 Apr 2004, 00:03:05 »
What about making an animation for the guys where the wounded could be slung over the soldier? Could you then just setpos-getpos the wounded to be in a position that would look as though he were slung over the shoulder of a soldier?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #42 on: 04 Apr 2004, 04:01:07 »
What about making an animation for the guys where the wounded could be slung over the soldier? Could you then just setpos-getpos the wounded to be in a position that would look as though he were slung over the shoulder of a soldier?

Basically that is half of what I was talking about earlier. Only problem with your idea is that it would look really funny sprinting around, both hands on your rifle, with a guy just magically hovering over your shoulder. Then go prone, and it will look even weirder..... That is why I am thinking about making two custom animations: one for the guy being carried, and one for the guy carrying him. :)

Offline sim

• Members
« Reply #43 on: 18 Apr 2004, 13:35:18 »
hey

WOW  :o, what a mission.

I've just downloaded the final version (been on my hols 2 wks) and have to say it is the best damn vietnam mission i have ever played for flash!!!

It is amazing, especially now it has all the voices which just add so much to it!!!

I can't wait for your campaign!!!  ;D

sim

Bohemia boy

« Reply #44 on: 18 Apr 2004, 15:38:42 »
another barron fan  ;D
I think we need to start a club

any up dates on the campaign
« Last Edit: 18 Apr 2004, 15:39:13 by Bohemia boy »