Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Stoner SR-47, A 7.62WP Cahmering M4  (Read 4126 times)

Fishion

Re:Stoner SR-47, A 7.62WP Cahmering M4
« Reply #15 on: 16 Sep 2002, 15:14:59 »
Since we all now agree...;D (Sorry for the link...something I
posted in the POLWAR Forum)

ANYONE UP FOR IT?

Schoeler

« Reply #16 on: 16 Sep 2002, 19:36:56 »
Actually, as a former competitive shooter I can attest to the accuracy of madmedic's posts.  7.62 NATO rounds will put a man down much further out than the 5.56 round, but your average soldier is not able to "reach out and touch someone" at those distances anyway.  At normal combat ranges (around 200 to 400 meters) the 5.56 round is quite effective due to the high velocity and its tendency to fragment as mentioned.  An interesting sidenote to the high velocity discussion is the rounds ability to fragment any bone it hits as well, thus adding to the rounds stopping abilities.  A professional long distance shooter will always opt for a 7.62 round or specialized rounds like the 7mm magnum etc.., but for the average joe, a 5.56 is good enough.

Offline madmedic

• Members
  • You can run.....But you'll just die tired.
« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2002, 05:22:47 »
indeed.
But I was always under the interpretation from my army buddies that 7.62 is designed for the simple art of killing and that a 5.56 round although deadly (as all bullets) is more for the use of wounding a soldier, because they know that a wounded solldier will take a further two to carry him off the field and tend to him. Thus 3 soldiers out of action for the price of 1.
I also know that an all manor of different ammo affects this and a wounded soldier may well die but this in itself has bought that small amount of time for whoever shot him.

Strange way of thinking but true.

Yes,..you are correct...to an extent.  As per the Geneva Convention, all military ammo is supposed to be full metal jacket.  You are not allowed to use hollow points.
The thing here is 5.56 BALL ammo is full metal jacket...but (to an extent)...it doesnt act like full metal jacket ammo...BTW,..the same goes for 5.45x39 (which is what an AK74 fires.
That is part of the reason the Soviets made the move to the smaller calibre from the 7.62x39 round.  The 5.45 round performs better.
However...ALL of the above mentioned rounds are designed to kill.
The thing about 5.56 being designed to just "wound" likely originated in the years that the US military was in the process of replacing 7.62 Nato M14s, with 5.56 M16s  There were alot of US servicemen who were very much against the trend toward smaller calibres. Americans have always believed "bigger is better" (and in alot of cases,...it is)
I will look for this link I had to the story of when Gene Stoner demonstrated the AR15 to a non-believing US general, convincing him on the spot by allowing him to shoot (a big watermelon I think it was) at several hundred yards.
The General was one of the men in charge of US Military weapons procurment (spelling?)...and Armalite was almost immediately awwarded a contract to supply AR15 rifles (that is what they were originally called) to the US DOD
Interestingly....It was the Air Force who first adopted the M16 as its standard service rifle.
Unoubtably 7.62 Nato has more "punch",  also more recoil, and more weight.  It is a great round, and will be in use for many years I would venture to say...I was never putting "down" the 7.62 Nato round, I just got a little "wordy" in my attempt to explain the difference between 7.62Nato, 7.62WP, and 5.56Nato.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #18 on: 18 Sep 2002, 05:43:25 »
 There were things mentioned in Security Arms that have been overlooked here...
What makes this weapon truly great is it's ability to use standard 7.62x39 ammo, which is found in huge quantitys all over the world. The advantage to the operator, and OFP player, is a nearless supply of ammunition. I agree, this should be included in Fliper's next release if he's willing.

Offline madmedic

• Members
  • You can run.....But you'll just die tired.
« Reply #19 on: 18 Sep 2002, 06:59:48 »
Oh,..interesting sidenote:
Knights Armament (the maker of the SR 47) is located in Vero Beach, Florida (about 20 miles from where I am)
They are a civilian corporation that mostly makes civilian weapons (they make numerous AR 15 clones, and they make a semi-auto 50 calibre sniper rifle... "I think it is called the SR 50")...and they have military contracts for some things also.
I am considering making a trip over to the shop to see if they will let me have a look at one of their SR 47s  :D ...AND, I heard that IF production goes through for the military SR 47...they are considering a semi-auto civilian version ;D
HOWEVER...I also heard an un-confirmed rumor in some of the gun collecting circles I frequent...that the whole project may have been scrapped. including the military version.  :(