Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Abu Sayyaf - Hostage Rescue  (Read 2034 times)

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
Abu Sayyaf - Hostage Rescue
« on: 03 Feb 2004, 05:20:55 »
I was just watching a show on the History Channel about 2 missionaries held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf  - the terrorists running loose in the Southern Philippines who have ties to Al Qaida.  

Sounds like an idea for a mission - you're a US SF advisor working with a Philippine task force to find and rescue civillian hostages.  

You would be the lone American (or small group of Americans) working with government troops to weed out the terrorist guerillas (who use all sorts of random kit).

OrangeLeader

Re:Abu Sayyaf - Hostage Rescue
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2004, 06:36:45 »
sounds like a cool idea

Homefry31464

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2004, 17:27:36 »
I saw it too, "Come home alive" was the show name.  Or you could be a relatively untrained rebel trying to rescue the people, as it really happened.

GrimMonkey

« Reply #3 on: 04 Feb 2004, 00:54:38 »
I saw it as well.
The guerillas were spotted by the footprints they left in a very muddy road. This is useful if you play as the American squad searching for the hostages.

The guerillas also had ties with Osama Bin Laden.

Edit: That is, if this is the one I saw. If so, there was also a Phillipine girl with them.

I watch the History Channel all the time.

Beware the GrimMonkey
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2004, 00:58:16 by GrimMonkey »

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #4 on: 04 Feb 2004, 01:02:53 »
That's the one, GrimMonkey.

GrimMonkey

« Reply #5 on: 04 Feb 2004, 01:05:41 »
Sweet.

Kudos on the speedy reply.

Beware the GrimMonkey

Jakerod

« Reply #6 on: 04 Feb 2004, 04:04:03 »
Looks like it was a popular show I also saw it. I think maybe it should have a bit more of a happier ending than what happened though. I know war sucks and everything but still that was sad.

I also saw that one that was on before it which would be cool for a MP one mainly because most of the firefights were inside a building.

GrimMonkey

« Reply #7 on: 04 Feb 2004, 07:27:22 »
Jakerod?
I didn't know you were registered on these forums.

Back on topic:
The final firefight took place in the jungle, right before the end of the movie.
Having it as an MP is a good idea, that way you can choose which soldier to be (maybe).

There were few survivors. The other two hostages died and the captors either were killed or fled into the jungle.

The mission will probably take place on several islands, since the captors moved a lot. Should it be a campaign? They were captives for over a year.

Beware the GrimMonkey

OrangeLeader

« Reply #8 on: 04 Feb 2004, 21:33:30 »
If you are going to turn it in to the campaign, you might want to add other captive situations. Remember those people were not the only ones. Many westeners have been abducted an held for ransom. This would allow you to expand the story.

I had the idea of expanding it into more of a "defense" of the Philippines. Many people don't realize it but western influence and protection is the only thing holding the Phillipino government together. Maybe the campaign starts as a hotage rescue or two. Then you are promoted and then you are sent to put down a small uprising in a town(which you are told will be easy and of coures it won't.) It would start out easy, but then you are attacked/ambushed by a large number of rebel regulars. They retreat and you survive of course. The government becomes alarmed becasue the rebels have never attack so openly before. Next alot of other stuff could happen:

Phillipines turns into a Veitnam-type conflict with US involvment(advisors then actual troop commitments)

rebels attack more and more but are held back and the Phillipino army finally gets the upperhand and beats them(you are sent on an assination mission in the end to kill the head cheese)

rebels do take over(you become the rebel force then and try to casue as much trouble as possible) till finally a UN/allied invasion takes back the Phillipines(kind of like the taking back of Kuwait in the first Gulf War)

There are other possiblities too. Tell me what you think.

GoodspeedForever

« Reply #9 on: 24 Feb 2004, 01:46:48 »
I didnt see the movie, but seen some on the subject...

It'd either be best as one multiplayer HR mission, or as a Singleplayer campaign with multiple such missions (and maybe a couple old-fashioned wipe-out-the-camp ones in there too).  Or,  in fact, you could do both; make a MP, then do a SP campaign :)

tHe s4lut3

« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2004, 19:14:51 »
excuse me, i'm against that because they're missionairies and not sf or other soldiers.i mean, they're CIVILIANS!by the way soldiers are trained for certain situations.how would civilians react when somebody slams the door to their lock-up for example.........

Offline SEAL84

• Members
  • Always lurking
« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2004, 19:38:51 »
excuse me, i'm against that because they're missionairies and not sf or other soldiers.i mean, they're CIVILIANS!by the way soldiers are trained for certain situations.how would civilians react when somebody slams the door to their lock-up for example.........

Huh ???

The point of the campaign would be to rescue them from the rebels...I really dunno what you're talking about :-\