Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: "Where are you?"  (Read 1290 times)

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
"Where are you?"
« on: 25 Jan 2004, 20:42:26 »
How far does  a unit have to be away from  the group before he says "where are your"?

And is that distance measured from the group leader,  the nearest group member, or his place in formation.

Also is there a way to detect if a unit is lost and/or out of formation.

--Ben
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2004, 20:43:11 by benreeper »

deaddog

Re:"Where are you?"
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2004, 21:31:17 »
The distance is around 170 meters.  I don't know if it is from the leader or his place in formation (they are pretty close to each other), but it is not to the nearest member.

As for #3, I don't know of any absolute way to detect if it is out of formation.

PsyWarrior

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2004, 22:12:01 »
Greetings peoples,

The easiest way to detect if a unit is out of range would be to check his distance from the leader. You could say about 50m is certainly out of formation, and 170m is lost. Perhaps something like:

Code: [Select]
_unit distance _leader > 50: hint format ["%1 is out of formation!" _unit]

_unit distance _leader > 170: hint format ["%1 is lost!" _unit]

However, there is, as deaddog said, no way to tell for sure if a unit is out of formation or lost, but the above codes should give a fairly good idea.

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

Unnamed

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2004, 06:13:28 »
try the FormLeader command:

formLeader unit
Operand types:
    unit: Object
Type of returned value:
    Object
Description:
    Formation leader for given unit, for dead units ObjNull. This is often the same as groupleader, but not always.
I tested it on two guys who where away from the commander (me). I gave them a move order and called the command FormLeader, it came up with one of the AI's as leader and not me.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2004, 06:15:18 by Unnamed »

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2004, 06:40:22 »
Interesting.  Thanks guys.

This distance from the leader, is it increased when the unit(s) are in vehicles.  I mean if they are a platoon of tanks or a flight of Apaches,  will they need to be more than 50m away from the leader to be considered "out of formation" and more than 170m from him to be considered "lost".  Is there some formula.

--Ben

PsyWarrior

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2004, 13:39:42 »
Greetings,

There is no established formula that I know of. The best way to find out would be to experiment - put yourself down as a group leader for a tank platoon/ Apache group and see how far away a unit needs to be to be 'lost'. If you use the Command View, you can see the distance between you and your troops.

Hope that this was helpful  :),

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #6 on: 17 Oct 2004, 21:44:02 »
Play around on the desert island, put you as a suqad leader, and put the other unit with very low health, so he can walk..
Then press his number of the F1 to F12 keys, and if I remeber, it should give you a distance..
Walk backwards till he says, were are you..
;)
- Ben

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2004, 04:46:18 »
Thanks, I'll try that.
--Ben