Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: 'advanced' dialogs  (Read 995 times)

Offline SilentHunter

• Members
  • frozen leg'o'lamb (every gamers most loved weapon)
'advanced' dialogs
« on: 18 Jan 2004, 15:53:08 »
Does anyone know where the original BIS Dialog code is stored in the flashpoint folder?

I've been searching for ages and i can't find it, and i was wondering if it was actually stored in the flashpoint.exe itself!

The code I am looking for is the stuff that powers ALL of the in-game menus, score sheets, mission editors, etc,

I was hoping to break into it to learn some more stuff about dialogs, because I have hundreds of unanswered questions to answer - such as how the menus perform tasks such as creating a new user and storing the info to the users folder. etc

Thanks in advance,

SILENTHUNTER
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2004, 16:02:13 by SilentHunter »
[size=4.5]NERDS HAVE FEELINGS TOO! [/size] [size=2.5]*adjusts glasses*[/size]

PsyWarrior

Re:'advanced' dialogs
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jan 2004, 16:43:33 »
Greetings SilentHunter

I don't think that the BIS menus are written in the same language as the custom in-mission menus, because the standard BIS menus were in v 1.00, and the scripting commands for dialogs were only introduced in v 1.75 ( I think. It might be 1.85).

I was wondering about this myself, but then it occurred to me that the menus were there before the scripting commands were!

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

Offline SilentHunter

• Members
  • frozen leg'o'lamb (every gamers most loved weapon)
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jan 2004, 16:55:05 »
Thanks for the reply PsyWarrior

Thats a good point - didn't think of that,

Which must mean the menus are built into the flashpoint.exe because the language for the description.ext is the same as c++ (the computer program programming language) - i think?

Anyway - thanks

SILENTHUNTER
[size=4.5]NERDS HAVE FEELINGS TOO! [/size] [size=2.5]*adjusts glasses*[/size]

PsyWarrior

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2004, 17:08:26 »
Which must mean the menus are built into the flashpoint.exe because the language for the description.ext is the same as c++ (the computer program programming language) - i think?

Yes, I believe this to be true. I don't think the .ext files are true C++, but they are very similar in construction.

However, the actual physical construction of the menus could (in theory) be done in .sqs. Unfortunately, stuff like storing info to the users directory is not possible with the current OFP scripting system (AFAIK).

Still, there's a lot that can be done using dialogs in OFP. Good luck with it! :thumbsup:

-PsyWarrior

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2004, 17:45:19 »
PsyWarrior, good point by the menus been there before
the commands, but don't you think too that the scripting
commands are just a userfriendly interface to let the
user talk with OFP?

The possibility for such dialogues must have been always there,
but not available to the end-customers (users).

(*hint*) the who killed who message was already there,
even before BIS enabled eventhandlers  ;)

Anyway, OFP source code might be a lil bit more tricky to
understand, especially if somebody's not common with
the czech language. BIS were using a whole lott'a czech
variable names etc.

~S~ CD
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2004, 17:46:00 by Chris Death »
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted

PsyWarrior

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2004, 18:06:51 »
I concur, CD (vulcan moment :hmm:), the sqs scripting is designed to allow the user to interact with OFP's source. However, it cannot do everything that the source code can (as shown by the constant adding of commands!)

The only way to do what you are suggesting would be to reprogramme the source code (which is probably ever-so-slightly-completely-illegal under the EULA). And  that would be difficult.

Not necessarily the reprogramming bit - Reprogramming OFP? That's easy. Reading czech? Now that's hard.

Not that you're inciting me to perform illegal acts or anything.
*gets hacking tools*

;D
-PsyWarrior

P.S. shouldn't it be:
hint "the who killed who message was already there, even before BIS enabled eventhandlers"
 ::)

8 Ball

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jan 2004, 11:09:22 »
I think the code for the dialogs are stored in the config file or resource file, in the BIN folder. You'd have to get something to view the file though. Notepad won't work. Try to find something in the editors depot,when its back up.(OFPManager worked for me)  ;)

PsyWarrior

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2004, 12:12:58 »
Greetings Ppl.

The issue here is not really if it's possible to find the code for the dialogs, but what is possible to replicate in .sqs. I know for one thing that saving data to the users folder (as done with the create new user function) is not possible with the current scripting engine.

Still, it should be interesting to see if it's possible to replicate the dialogs in .sqs, at least in appearence.

-PsyWarrior