Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The "solved" smiley  (Read 1772 times)

Torak

The "solved" smiley
« on: 14 Nov 2003, 10:18:02 »
No real reason, but I just had to ask... why does the "solved" smiley have a fag?

(EDIT: And why does the forum automatically change "f-a-g" to "cigarette"? Is it somehow opposed to colloquialisms?)

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:The "solved" smiley
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2003, 10:54:34 »
1) Smokers ususally smoke after a satifying experience - like after eating or having sex. Having your thread solved is a satifying experience.

2) I think f a g  is a brit term for a cigarrette.  f a g  is also a derogitory term and this board censors bad words.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Torak

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2003, 12:22:47 »
1 - Right, got it. Suddenly I remember why I don't smoke... ;D

2 - Yes, f-a-g is a British term for a cigarette, thus my comment about colloquialisms. But I've never heard of it being a derogatory term - besides, I've never heard of tobacco companies being offended...

Kaliyuga

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2003, 19:27:38 »
 In the U.S. 'f a g' is a derogitory term for someone who is a male  homosexual  Torak ....  

:toocool:
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2003, 01:21:49 by Kaliyuga »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2003, 22:33:36 »
Hi Torak,

The big difference lies in real world and online usage.

- In real world Britain (and still here in NZ and Australia too), its an accepted colloquialism.

- In the online realm, its almost exclusively used as a derogatory term in reference to or against homosexual males.

So we ban it to remove temptation from those that want to use it in such a way.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Torak

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2003, 23:29:30 »
Cor blimey... some buggers will turn any word blue given half a chance, won't they?

Ah well - that's one more word I need to be careful about, then. At least I don't smoke, which saves me from the rather obvious "I need a f-a-g" embarrassment...

It's irritating, though. My once-great language is being subverted by the scum of the earth (or "students" as I like to call them 1 ;D), being dragged into the gutter of Eastenders and the like.

Oh well, I'll take my grievances elsewhere - anyone fancy starting an English Language Revival Society or something? ;D

1 - I know, technically I'm one too, but I've been stuck in a college with foul-mouthed, drunken yobbos obsessed with one thing and one thing only... I'm obsessed with only one subject, too, but at least in my case it'

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2003, 00:34:15 »
Hi Torak,

The big difference lies in real world and online usage.

- In real world Britain (and still here in NZ and Australia too), its an accepted colloquialism.

- In the online realm, its almost exclusively used as a derogatory term in reference to or against homosexual males.

So we ban it to remove temptation from those that want to use it in such a way.

I thought ppl were supposed to READ them, not smoke them.  ??? .... the faq's, that is.  ::) :)

HuNtA

« Reply #7 on: 01 Jan 2004, 15:09:36 »
yeh, here in britain, if U wanna smoke at work, u say
"Im gonna go on a fag break" or something like that
or Im gonna have a quick fag
(yeh, the cigarette is meatna be    f   a   g)
« Last Edit: 01 Jan 2004, 15:10:09 by HuNtA »