Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A new burning script by me!  (Read 2812 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
A new burning script by me!
« on: 24 Dec 2003, 16:18:51 »
Well, consider this my little present for you guys.

EDIT: See the next couple of posts!
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2003, 01:40:45 by Nemesis6 »
I am actually flying into a star... this is incredible!

deaddog

Re:A new burning script by me!
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2003, 17:19:22 »
How did you get this to work?  I get an error at the drop command.  Probably has something to do with the fact that your drop command has  25 parameters.  It should have 19.  

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2003, 21:00:01 »
The error you're getting is probably because you execute the script like this - [This] exec "Script.sqs" You should execute it as such - This exec "Script.sqs"

EDIT: Oh, you mean the phases of the colors, that just worked... I didn't do anything :P

But what do you think?
« Last Edit: 24 Dec 2003, 21:04:32 by Nemesis6 »

deaddog

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2003, 23:40:16 »
I executed it properly.  I placed an empty jeep, named j1 and executed the script from a trigger:

j1 exec "test.sqs"

As I said in my first post, I get an error at the drop command.

Anybody else get this to work?

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2003, 01:38:24 »
I don't know what went wrong, so I've uploaded the file, tested it, and now it works!

http://geocities.com/facehugger96/BurnScript.zip

Right click, and save target as.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2003, 01:39:23 by Nemesis6 »

Harkonin

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2003, 06:41:10 »
Nice script but a few suggestions for you.

The 0.02 loop is gonna be a killer in MP especially if multiple units are burning, might want to get that down to atleast 0.5.

some smoke and "embers" would make it even better than it already is.

Other than that nice job.

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2003, 02:55:23 »
Well, I can't up the delay, the whole script counts on a a low delay. If the delay was too big, the script would look very unrealistic!, If I was to create a script with a bigger delay, I would have to construct a completely different kind of script... It's kind of a singleplayer based script! The BAS fire script would be more fit in multiplayer, as it has a delay on 0.25.

But other than that, I'll add the things you speak of!

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 18 Jan 2004, 21:06:25 »
Alright, check the link again! The script has been updated. Here's the new additions.

-Made fire larger
-Added sparks
-Added smoke
-Added effect for planes going down

Tell me what you think, I spent a lot of time perfecting this.

Incase you missed the link- http://geocities.com/facehugger96/BurnScript.zip

Right click, and save target as. Execute ExpInit.sqs
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2004, 21:07:50 by Nemesis6 »

Azraell

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2004, 18:02:13 »
I had a look see.... Looks great!

I used a covered jeep for test vehicle....

fire started about .25 above the roof of the jeep (dont know if thats a bug or problem)

sparks and embers dont stop, they keep going and going...;)

other than those 2 objects it looks fine:)

I have a small question... smoke that i create sorta just blinks out but yours in this script seems to fade away slow.....what parameter in the drop string controls this fade away?

Later.......

ps  Nice work:)

Offline Nemesis6

• Members
« Reply #9 on: 27 Jan 2004, 16:25:23 »
To make the smoke fade instead of pop, you need to change the last part of the color array. Like this -

[[0,0,0,0.50],[0,0,0,0.50],[0,0,0,0.50],[0,0,0,0]]

Just change the last part of the array to the color and change the last number to 0.

About the jeep, I had to adjust the height that the particles spawn at, which would be +2 more than the normal position. You can change the height of the particles by changing this line in the script - (_objPosZ + 2) - change the 2 to whatever height you want.

About the sparks, yeah... That kinda slipped. The problem is that I cannot include the sparks in the main script, as the script loops way to fast for a few embers to be ejected into the air. So I had to make some kind of an estimate... Turns out my estimate was quite wrong.
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2004, 16:51:46 by Nemesis6 »

Azraell

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jan 2004, 06:13:09 »
Thanks for the drop info!  Ya, i knew i could change the height from within the script but i figured it was self adjusting to whatever it was attached to, looks like you might have used a tank when you were creating it, judging from the height:)  

I tinkered with it awhile to get the sparks and fire into 1 script but to no avil :-\. but, you might be able to call sparks.sqs from within firefinal.sqs when it starts, then use a booleen at the finish of firefinal to deactivate sparks. No timers controlling the end of sparks.sqs, only the end of firefinal.sqs will stop the sparks. Or make your fireinal.sqs counter variables without a _, so you can use it  as a counter  for both scripts, so they stop at same time.

Just some thoughts.

By the By.... im needing a tester for a very large Artillery script(s) ive been working on for the past 3 months. Maybe if your not to busy i can email a link to it? Id sorta like to keep it out of public hands until final release.

Tanks are the Arty platform i chose to use. AP cluster shells, AT cluster shells, Thermite rounds, vectored velocities for the shells.  The actual tank shells fired are being used. Had to create a marker targeting sytem to get it all to work. Very user friendly though, onmapsingle click and radio commands. 8 scripts large, if you count init.  Anyway, let know...later

Az
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2004, 06:16:54 by Azraell »