Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: fademusic doesn't work with custom music  (Read 5005 times)

Mandible

fademusic doesn't work with custom music
« on: 12 Sep 2002, 12:18:15 »
Hi,
I'm trying to do a little party using my own music file. It works fine, but one prob remains:
The music should fade away the further you get from the source. Now I know how to do that and it works with the music from OFP. But when I try the same with my own music, the only commands that work are "value fademusic 1" and "value fademusic 0". Everything in between does not work for custom music, but it does for OFP music.
I tried the same with sounds:
1 fadesound 40 and all the OFP sound got so loud I went crazy, but my own sound file did't get louder.
I tried to modify the music.pbo, the config.bin and stringstable.csv, but when starting I got an memory error.
So now I wonder. Is there a way to get this ******* fademusic command to work for custom music?

Thanks in advance

Cedaie

Re:fademusic doesn't work with custom music
« Reply #1 on: 12 Sep 2002, 12:45:35 »
works for me   :-\

does your song even play?

u must know that value is replaced with a number telling how many ofp seconds it takes to get to the chosen volume

5 fademusic 0.5

hrrm, tricky one this is  ::)

Mandible

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2002, 13:04:14 »
re,
Yes, my music plays. the prob is:
there seems to be no values inbetween 0 and 1 for the fade in case one is using usercreated music. I saw in 19convoy of the redhammer campaign that they use the fademusic command for music already in the music.pbo of OFP. So I tried the fademusic command with "track5" (as in that mission) and it works, but not with my "SwingKids"
I had the same prob already in another mission. For usercreated music there seem to be only two levels: 0 or 1
strange ??? ??? ???

Mandible

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2002, 21:28:45 »
so,
since userscreated music in-mission use by a description.ext does not accept the fademusic command correctely, I tried to make an addon.
First, I tried to make an object that plays the sound, but that wasn't satisfartory.
Then I simply replaced one of the music files, by changing the path in the config.bin to my .ogg file. and adding my file to the Music.pbo. But that means not using that Bis music file and is no good in a mission i want to publish.
So now I'm trying to do an addon to add a new music file below the existing files in the trigger effects menu.
Although I tried all day to use snYpir's tut to do it, I did not find out how to do that. The decripted config.bin adds Bis music as follows and thats what my config.ccp is:

class CfgMusic
{
   access=1
   tracks[]={"SwingKids1"};

class SwingKids1
   {
      name = "SwingKids";
      sound[] = {"\Music\SwingKids2.ogg",1.000000,1.000000};
   };
};
Now, I dont know if I need the class CfgPatsches.
Can it be done anyway?

Chudley

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2002, 03:02:20 »
There is a a way around this problem...

When making custom music, I convert the MP3 to WAV.

I then edit the WAV file to include Fade In & Out using Creative Wavestudio.

That done, I convert to ogg format with dbPowerAmp.

Voila!

...well, it works for me. ;D
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2002, 03:08:11 by Chudley »

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2002, 06:36:32 »
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but fademusic worked fine just fine for me when I was making the outro for my mission "Operation Lojack". I just loaded it up in Resistance to make sure and it works just fine.

How is your music defined in the description.ext?

Here is how the music in my mission was defined:

class CfgMusic
   {
   tracks[]={blandest};
      class blandest
         {
         name = "Nirvana - Blandest";
         sound[] = {\music\blandest.ogg, db+0, 1.0};
         };
};
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

Bremmer

« Reply #6 on: 17 Sep 2002, 15:58:01 »
I've had this problem as well, and discovered it is all to do with the recorded volume. If your music is quite loud it maxes out, and fademausic will appear not to work. However if you try

0.001 fademusic 0

you might find that the fade is working - it is just much more sensitive to the value you specify than it should be. (If you still don't get any fade then play around with the 0.001 value).
You should be able to correct this problem by adjusting the db level set in your description file.

eg

db+10 change to db-10

Keep playing around with the values and eventually you should get it all working properly.

Cheers

Offline Ranger

• Members
  • Hoo-ah!
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2002, 07:10:12 »
Hi,
I'm trying to do a little party using my own music file. It works fine, but one prob remains:
The music should fade away the further you get from the source.

I don't know how to solve your problem.  However, an easy way to get music to fade as you get farther from the source is to put in your music as a sound, not as music.  Then, play the sound with a waypoint, trigger, or whatever you're using.  As you move away from that location, the music will fade automatically, just as other game sounds fade as you move away.
Ranger