Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Peoples Topic Headings  (Read 1674 times)

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
Peoples Topic Headings
« on: 04 Nov 2003, 00:06:36 »
Right then...

As instructed to  by the powers that be and OFPEC Mdoerators ( Look at the description for this Board ) i am putting my views forward on OFPEC.

You might have guessed but you might not have. This is concerning the headings that people use for their topics on OFPEC Forums.

Headings such as :-

Help me please    Argh, My face    A problem! Help blah blah blah blah blah *Falls asleep

and to name a few...

It doesnt help newbies you know! I am referring to not just newbies but whoever uses the SEARCH function and the FAQ in these Forums. Something needs to be done about this... Personally i think it is downgrading the wonderful facilities that OFPEC is providing the public with. You know who you are!   :-X :-X

This post is no way saying that OFPEC is useless, impractical, crap et cetera. It is merely putting forward my opinions on this subject.

*Rhys crawls into a corner and awaits a reply whilst talking to Golem

« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2003, 16:46:34 by rhysduk »
Reviewed Missions Board: Please Read the User's Guide before posting!

Pride and Joy 1 (HW100-T)

Kaliyuga

Re:Peoples Topic Headings
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2003, 00:46:29 »
 While this board is meant for a discussion on the forums..  this part of your post was entirely unneccesary
You know who you are! You dumb f***s need to pull your acts together

There's really no excuse for personally insulting people, just because you don't like their topic titles  ::)

anyways...  I do see your point.... and it would make things easier to search for if they were all labeled "properly" more than likely.....

but people name their topics weird things because it either grabs someone's attention.... or sometimes just because it's plain funny ;D  and the topics named "help me" and such just don't want to think of something witty to say.. or know exactly how to condense their question down to a few words.

I think that we're a bunch of creative (twisted maybe too ;D ?)  individuals for the most part and coming up with original topic names to keep things fresh is just all in good fun.  As long as its not offensive I really see no problem with it personally....

And I also think that trying to make or enforce that rule would alienate more people from posting than would do good in the long run..    

more rules/regulations are always a bad thing  unless absolutely neccesary IMO anyways....  

as always.. just my 2 cents

:cheers:
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2003, 00:48:24 by Kaliyuga »

Iwesshome

« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2003, 01:12:21 »
:hmm:

*Seconds Kaliyugas thought about creativity*
*Seconds Rhysduks thought about more useful topic headers*

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2003, 03:41:04 »
If I had a dollar for everytime this came up ...  ;) ;D

As such, I'll just sumarise our usual points:

1. Enforcement would massively increase the Forum Staff workload to no real gain.

2. Adding it into the "Rules" won't change anything, people won't suddenly change.

3. As stated above by Kaliuga, enforcement (if enacted) will drive away both regulars and new members.

4. OFPEC doesn't change any of our content unless offensive or it breaches the member agreement.

5. This happens on ALL forums, its merely a fact of life in this situation.

Thx for the post, we always appreciate feedback.
But like I say, this has come up many, many, many times before and we've always remained as we are, for good reason.

So get back in there and have fun! ;D :-*
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2003, 16:58:38 »
@Kailyuga

this part of your post was entirely unneccesary

Quote from: rhysduk on Today at  12:06:36am    

All fixed - Sorry bout that bit - got a bit carried away! All sorted now thoough!

There's really no excuse for personally insulting people,

I was not insulting people as such - just merely saying my opinion, if i cant do that what kinda forumn is this ?

anyways...  I do see your point.... and it would make things easier to search for if they were all labeled "properly" more than likely....

Thank you - i am glad that i am not the only person!

weird things because it either grabs someone's attention.... or sometimes just because it's plain funny

Who finds HELP! funny ??? I know i dont...

I think that we're a bunch of ......twisted maybe too

Speka for yourself Kali

@Iwess

*Seconds Rhysduks thought about more useful topic headers*

Wooohhoooooo !!!!!! 3 people !!!  ;D

@Noonie

If I had a dollar for everytime this came up ...

You'de be rich !!! ;D

2. Adding it into the "Rules" won't change anything, people won't suddenly change.

But wouldnt you see a change over a period of time ?? You wouldnt be willing to give it a chance ??

3. As stated above by Kaliuga, enforcement (if enacted) will drive away both regulars and new members.

I dont see how you came to this conclusion.

Rhys

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2003, 08:09:38 »

But wouldnt you see a change over a period of time ?? You wouldnt be willing to give it a chance ??

Yes, there would be a change. But a noticeable one? Nope.
Trust us on this one, years of experience (literally) have taught us what people will accept, and what will drive people away.

I dont see how you came to this conclusion.

Its drawn from the fact that enforcement doesn't just involve changing the topics, but would also require us to give the offending person notice that they're breaching the rules.
And when that happens, words like "fascist", "forum-nazi", "f*ckers" and "I can do it everywhere else, I'm off" start appearing in posts.

As I've stated previously, this has come up many times before by frustrated members, and has always been debated with the same points that have been raised now.

The reality is that for the effort required and the ill-will it would generate, the return just doesn't justify the investment.
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2003, 14:10:59 »
I was not insulting people as such - just merely saying my opinion, if i cant do that what kinda forumn is this ?

It's a kind of forum where your freedom of speech ends exactly there where the rights of others are concerned. We have never accepted the "I was merely using my right for free speech"-argument as a justification to offend others.

Treat the other members with respect and stick to our other forum rules and nobody will tell you what to say. And that's also why we will not edit posts or their titles unless we have a good reason.

Offline rhysduk

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2003, 23:34:05 »
Yeah ok - Sorry !