Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Too many addons?  (Read 2086 times)

Mr.BoDean

Too many addons?
« on: 14 Oct 2003, 03:07:41 »
Hi all,
  Okay, I don't usually visit the addon discussion section, but it's time I did. Dunno if it's just me, but my game will not boot up properly (gives me funky brown graphics where I should see the game options menu) when I have either too many addons or addons above a certain size in the folder. Seems to be the same for both regular addons folder and RES/Addons folder.
   Previously, I thought there was just an incompatibility with different addons , like when I first installed the BAS BlackHawks , so I deleted some addons. But now with Tonal Island out , it's HUUUUUGE  and I need to figure out how to be able to use them all at once. Isn't there some way to  group them or create a mod folder so this doesn't happen?
    If this isn't the right place, please tell me where I can find the answer.     ;)                                   Thanks ......Mr.B.   8)

m21man

Re:Too many addons?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2003, 03:14:02 »
First, if you don't have it, grab the 1.94 beta. Then you should use mod folders. If you don't know how to make them, here's how:
1. Make a folder in your OperationFlashpoint directory, and name it, as an example, bas_isle. Then in this folder, put a folder named addons and put your Tonal files in this.
2. To run this, make a shortcut to the OFP program that you run and in the in "Target" field add stuff so it looks like this:
"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE" -nosplash -mod=bas_isle

You can do this multiple mod folders by having something like this:
-mod=bas_isle;bas_units;hisky

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2003, 03:48:45 »
Hi M21man,  
  Ok ...I did exactly as you posted ...thought all was okay because game booted properly ...with nosplash (yeah!) , but then I looked in editor and there was no Tonal Island.  :(    Nor were there any of the African soldiers in there.

That was using this in the target :

C:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nosplash-mod=bas_isle

When I added a space here: -nosplash -mod=bas_isle                the game would not boot up correctly again ...brown graphics.   :'(

Oh yea, I did use 1.91 for the test . Is this something they fixed in 1.94? Cuz I didn't notice that in the post about it. Only bummer with BIS releasing not-yet-official patches is that it's hard enough to fill a room on GS with 1.91,  much less any yet-proven patch. Also, I assume I should just trash the 1.92 patch?   :-\
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2003, 03:57:08 by Mr.BoDean »

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2003, 04:59:48 »
this is what you got copy this one
C:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nomap -nosplash -mod=bas_isle
just be sure if you have all BAS addons in a folder called bas_isle it is ok but if you have your folder named BAS only than
C:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nomap -nosplash -mod=BAS

m21man

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2003, 05:10:59 »
Mr. BoDean: Yes, you should get 1.94. It fixes some problems with event handlers (The "Militia Dump" mission now works ;D ), plus I think it may help with memory mapping problems.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2003, 07:47:22 »
this is what you got copy this one
C:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nomap -nosplash -mod=bas_isle
just be sure if you have all BAS addons in a folder called bas_isle it is ok but if you have your folder named BAS only than
C:\Games\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTRESISTANCE.EXE -nomap -nosplash -mod=BAS

Hmm, nope ....same results :
  With a space between nosplash and -mod=bas_isle  it gives me the f'ed up graphics screen.

With no space between them, game boots up but no island or other addons are present.   :(

I even tried using an older utility called OFP Addon Manager, but it didn't work, either.    ???

Kaliyuga

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2003, 08:12:46 »
OK I Just tried it all out to make sure what was goin on...

I made a folder named BAS ,  inside was a folder named addons

in which all the BAS stuff went.    

used this as my command line for my shortcut to .exe

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE" -nosplash -mod=BAS

works fine for me

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2003, 09:14:46 »
OK I Just tried it all out to make sure what was goin on...

I made a folder named BAS ,  inside was a folder named addons
in which all the BAS stuff went.    
used this as my command line for my shortcut to .exe

"C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE" -nosplash -mod=BAS

works fine for me

Ok, Kali ,
    LMAO!  Tried it again thinking I was maybe missing something like actually using those quotation marks before pressing "Apply" when setting the target. I even renamed my folder to BAS just for kicks.

Now the kooky graphics screen is even more messed up than before.  :o   :-X  I get a box in the upper left with a bunch of letters and what looks like stick men along the bottom. I'm posting both versions here for u guys to be amused at what looks like yet another curse put upon my PC by this game.   :P

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2003, 09:15:24 »
And here's the other.....

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2003, 13:23:20 »
update you grapics card to the latest version get the latest version of Direct-X
go to your FlashpointPreferences.exe click it press Autodetect button click exit
make sure put all your BAS addons but all of them in the folder named BAS than use this

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE -nosplash -mod=BAS -nomap
remove the " sign at the end of EXE and begin of C:\

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2003, 21:22:22 »
update you grapics card to the latest version get the latest version of Direct-X
go to your FlashpointPreferences.exe click it press Autodetect button click exit
make sure put all your BAS addons but all of them in the folder named BAS than use this

C:\Program Files\Codemasters\OperationFlashpoint\FLASHPOINTBETA.EXE -nosplash -mod=BAS -nomap
remove the " sign at the end of EXE and begin of C:\

Hi Bone,  
   I really appreciate your help, but I get the same result with that one, too.
   I'm running DirectX 9.0b  ; a Radeon 9700 (generic) Video card with the latest update ; 1024MB RAM ; on a P4 2.8Ghz PC with XP Pro.
    In the Operation Flashpoint folder, I have a BAS folder containing an AddOns folder which contains the folder BAS_Isle anim , and 7 other .pbo files .

Do you think it has something to do with the video card being generic and not an ATI card ....just "powered by"    ?

BTW, if you put quotes around " C: ....EXE" , they disappear when you press apply anyways.  ;)

Vyper

« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2003, 21:54:58 »
Whenever i load flashpoint now.....i get an error like

"cannot memory map BAS_O.pbo".....i cleared out some addons from the folder but it didn't work...only since i put tonal in...i ran it fine for a couple of days and then this....help!?!?!

Vyper

Torak

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2003, 22:13:32 »
I find I get a memory map error whenever either of the Addons folders hits a gig in size; I'm told patch 1.94 will fix that, but I haven't got round to installing it yet so can't vouch for its efficacity.

m21man

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2003, 22:20:00 »
My /OperationFlashpoint folder was 2.2 GBs last time I checked, it works fine with all of the addons in mod folders.

Torak

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2003, 22:41:37 »
Yes, that's what I've been told. But I have problems whenever any individual addons folder reaches a gig.

m21man

« Reply #15 on: 14 Oct 2003, 23:35:48 »
Why should a mod folder ever exceed 500MBs? Just keep making mod folders until you have a good distribution.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2003, 23:46:02 »
Why should a mod folder ever exceed 500MBs? Just keep making mod folders until you have a good distribution.

Hmm...well, my Res/Addons folder is 574MB ...but many of those addons are turned off ....Addon Mgr. converts the .pbo files to .pbx files ,so they are still there but not seen as addons. With this method, I was able to at least SEE what Tonal and all of its cool new units and toys look like.  :)
  Still gonna need to know if I can get the Mod solution to work, though.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #17 on: 15 Oct 2003, 00:03:52 »
Umm, where in the H3ll did you guys DL the 1.94 beta patch from? I followed the links posted on the OFPEC home page ...to flashpoint 1985 ...I looked under patches and downloads for that site, codemasters and the other official linked site .... Nowhere did I see anything but the 1.91 patch. Please tell me how u navigated.   ???

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #18 on: 15 Oct 2003, 00:16:25 »
Try here:

http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?sekce=archiv&page=1

Just over half way down the page.

BTW:  You must make a new shortcut to the .exe file this patch puts into your OFP folder.
This exe does NOT replace your 1.91 exe file it only adds another .exe into the OFP folder, so, you need to make a separate shortcut to it.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #19 on: 15 Oct 2003, 01:11:30 »
Thx, Planck ...that  link worked. Though I read a lot of comments from peeps who had trouble with the patch.  :-\

And I did have the 1.92 patch already , but noone seems to use it in MP, so stuck to 1.91.  :-X

m21man

« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2003, 01:25:53 »
Why are you using 1.91 instead of 1.94 if you're having problems with memory mapping?!? You can't fix those problems without 1.94 :P .

Cpt. FrostBite

« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2003, 12:06:45 »
Posted this elsewhere, but I think this should be the place;

Can someone please help me? I keep getting the error like Kamikazepilot had; "cannot create 3d device, out of memory".

system specs;
AMD 1800+
1536MB DDR RAM
PowerVR Kyro 64MB

Addons used;
BIS RES
BAS Tonal files
(no OPFOR pack)

OFP;
V1.94b

When I had 640 MB RAM I could use like 110 mb of addons next to the BIS files. Now that I have 1536MB I can use 114mb. That doesn't make sence. Is there any way that I can get rid of this problem other than buying a new video card??

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2003, 12:56:36 »
Well, guys, sorry to say ...but I actually did find a new video driver just released 5 days ago and upgraded to that, along with the 1.94 Beta Patch. And guess what? Same results as before. So I guess I'm stuck with using OFP Addon Mgr.  :P