Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BMP-4  (Read 1415 times)

Rubble_Maker

BMP-4
« on: 07 Sep 2003, 14:38:47 »
This is the best armored personell carrier in the world, imho. Its based on the t-55 chassis with heavier armor. Unlike the Bradly and Bmp1-3 it can withstand enemy AT/RPG fire. The turret is unmanned, wich further increases survivability.

Would be most useful in OFP!

http://arms.host.sk/apc/btrt.htm

bigdog632

Re:BMP-4
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2003, 01:55:43 »
this is the BTR-T not BMP4
but it would be neat kinda like the MTLB thingy only heavier

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2003, 15:49:39 »
BTR-T=BMP 4
(afaik)

bigdog632

« Reply #3 on: 11 Sep 2003, 19:17:47 »
yep i found it on a diff site
it says itll be very slow though
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/row/bmp-4.htm

here is a lil mosre...and i do mean a lil more info on it

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #4 on: 14 Sep 2003, 21:16:12 »
u right, it will be very slow, but it has many other advantages. They made it because of lessons learned in Chechnya (where the Russians found out that using light IFV's is completely suicidal against an enemy equipped with RPG's). It is especially suited for urban fighting. The 30mm cannon can reach up to 90 deg to fire into windows and upper stores of houses. The top of the tank is protected against RPG fire and the unmanned turret further increases protection.

All in all, this vehicle was made for use in the worst sorta guerillia warfare. It doesn't have to be fast coz an IFV cannot move fast in urban terrain anyways.

Rubble_Maker

« Reply #5 on: 14 Sep 2003, 21:18:05 »
btw the Russians have lost hundrets of BMP's and BTR's in Chechnya. They found out these vehicles are completely useless against any enemy that is decently equipped with rockets and explosives. Thats why the made this thing. I don't know any Western counterpart for it.

bigdog632

« Reply #6 on: 14 Sep 2003, 22:12:04 »
well i dont think urban fighting was what they had in mind for making an agile manueverable APC

Offline Grizzlie

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2003, 12:25:19 »
Counterpart can be israeli "Azcharit" heavy IFV. It is based on T-55 too, but much more modified - for instance dismounts has rear doors - in BTR-T they r dismounting by the roof. And in my opinion is better armed against infantry (independent remote controlled MG's), when BTR-T has "standard" turret with gun and AT rockets. As i know Jordan forces r working too on its own heavy IFV.