Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: NASA Space shuttle  (Read 2484 times)

Offline SilentHunter

• Members
  • frozen leg'o'lamb (every gamers most loved weapon)
NASA Space shuttle
« on: 02 Sep 2003, 22:18:00 »
Just a wild idea, would it be possible to have a NASA space shuttle lying around the joint, with animated cargo bay doors and booster packs that can be jettisoned, like on the FLK harrier. The space shuttle would also need to be fully walkable, so you could use scripts to keep it a high altitude, cos during the night at hi altitude with the stars and everything would make it seem as though it were in space.

I would appreciate a reply if anyone is up to the challenge, and maybe I could gather up a few textures.

« Last Edit: 10 Sep 2003, 23:30:20 by SilentHunter »
[size=4.5]NERDS HAVE FEELINGS TOO! [/size] [size=2.5]*adjusts glasses*[/size]

bigdog632

Re:NASA Space shuttle
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2003, 22:23:33 »
i think the space shuttle goes  little too high and a lot too fast for the limitations of OFP

a wrecked one would be interesting for a coop like it was carrying some nuclear satellite or top secret device of some sort

Commando

« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2003, 22:44:27 »
there's a space shuttle that can be downloaded from over here
http://mitglied.lycos.de/datebase1/ofp/challengerV16.zip

Addon maker black barons old space shuttle challenger
here's the main page http://www.arcx.ar.cx/

Drozdov

« Reply #3 on: 03 Sep 2003, 21:08:14 »
Why would you want a shuttle? And I don't think a crashed shuttle/rocket would really leave much debris in one place...

bigcheese

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2003, 15:31:41 »
I agree with silenthunter on this one.
I mean, well i shoulden't be telling you this, but i flew the "appolo 13 mission", it was my human waste which we used to gule it together but i think you got the right idea..............
stu rules

m21man

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2003, 21:04:07 »
Yeah, when the shuttle crashes in real life, the debris field is so enormous that only one or two notable pieces would land on any one OFP size island.

Iwesshome

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2003, 21:19:06 »
I have never seen a shuttle crash in RL... Two have blown up at high altitudes, which caused large debris fields, but you could have one slam into an island, which would create a more concentrated debris field.

Offline SilentHunter

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2003, 23:32:31 »
With all due respect, I do realise a craft moving at 0.894 km per second, at 1 minute after launch, would be "just slightly" too fast for flashpoint, which surprisingly relates to the fact that I didn't mention anything about flying the thing. (It would look a bit stupid trying to take a 2,041,200 KG spacecraft off on 200 yards off runway, unless it was scripted as VTOL)

The point of this addon was for static purposes, i.e. for "seek and destroy" spetz-naz missions, which require the spetz-naz to be INSIDE the space shuttle, (which is why i mentioned WALK - ABLE), to lay the bombs, hence, the animated shuttle bay doors.

You must admit, blowing up a $2.1 billion piece of equipment plus maybe a laser satellite, would amuse one for a short while :).

But thanks to the few that took this seriously :).

m21man

« Reply #8 on: 10 Sep 2003, 23:41:01 »
Wouldn't the Spetznatz target unmanned rockets that carry U.S. surveillance satellites into orbit? A big pad with a rocket on it would look just as good as a parked shuttle.

bigdog632

« Reply #9 on: 11 Sep 2003, 07:54:59 »
Yeah, when the shuttle crashes in real life, the debris field is so enormous that only one or two notable pieces would land on any one OFP size island.

that depends on when it crashes   if it breaks up on eentry as weve seen the debris is spread of thousands of square miles

but if it crashed on landing or something it wouldnt it would resemble any other crash

bigdog632

« Reply #10 on: 11 Sep 2003, 07:57:21 »
if it wasnt to be flown how would it get to high altitude?
and why jettison the boosters of a parked shuttle?

Offline SilentHunter

• Members
« Reply #11 on: 13 Sep 2003, 12:31:56 »
Simple.....

#top
_unit setpos [?,?,3000]
~0.1
goto "top

bigdog632

« Reply #12 on: 14 Sep 2003, 23:09:33 »
what is the max alt in OFP?

Nemesis_1

« Reply #13 on: 16 Sep 2003, 00:22:29 »
I've got to about 3200 with the airwolf addon (turbo gives a constant speed of 800 going straight up unlike planes stalling at 2500 because they slow down going straight up) before it banks left or right and goes straight down again so...
don't really know if u can get higher than that ;D

bigdog632

« Reply #14 on: 17 Sep 2003, 16:29:33 »
you did better than me i got about that high stupid thing shut off and free fell to the ground......nice scenic trip though

so round about 3000m?  or can jets go higher?

Nemesis_1

« Reply #15 on: 17 Sep 2003, 17:02:12 »
well if u have a jet that can keep it's speed going straight up then maybe u can get higher i dunno i don't have much jets yet.
i did hear something about an afterburner script so maybe jets with that have enough power to break the 3000 without stalling..... :-\
i'll try to see if i can find one and break it......  ::)
BTW I have seen a spaceshuttle addon lurking somewhere i'll see if i can find it for u guys.... :thumbsup:

Nemesis_1

« Reply #16 on: 17 Sep 2003, 17:20:10 »
FOUND IT!!!! ;D
don't know if its a flying model though check 4 urselves!!!
http://dynamic3.gamespy.com/~atwar/e107/download.php?120.list.2.30.download_datestamp.DESC
It's the second from above but its obvious so really don't have to say
Have fun with it... :joystick:
PS include the bit that isn't red to go to the right addons page
or else:look under ofpaddons-vehicles its the 5 or 6 page i think
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2003, 17:23:10 by Nemesis_1 »

Nemesis_1

« Reply #17 on: 17 Sep 2003, 18:29:55 »
ow yea HELL YEAH!!!!
Latest news on max alt:
Max alt established
Height 12970/13000 :wow: