Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: PTRDS Anti-Tank Rifle.  (Read 2173 times)

Mr_Shady

Re:PTRDS Anti-Tank Rifle.
« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2003, 21:02:24 »
The Abrams isn't as invulnerable as you'd think, if one got hit it in the roof, the belly or the rear, there'd be a good chance of it taking some serious damage.

The BMP's armour is enough to keep small-arms fire (anything up to about 14.5mm) out, as well as shell fragments, but it's main role is to deliver troops to the front line and give them fire support so it's not designed to go toe-to-toe with an MBT. The way the Russians would use them is en masse, along with MBTs. The tanks would draw much of the AT fire, allowing the BMPs to get closer to the enemy before the mounted troops got out, so they were designed to keep the troops safe from machine guns, snipers and artillery, the top infantry killers.

Drozdov

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2003, 16:09:02 »
It takes something like 9 RPGs to destroy it, even if you're ramming them up its arse. And unless you're a bird or a mole you can't hit it's roof or belly.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2003, 19:21:25 »
I was talking about the real thing, but still, the in-game one's hardly invincible. If you hit it in the tracks and immobilise it, it's a piece of cake to work your way around to the back, where you can put a few rounds in the rear, which usually does enough damage to knock it out.

unless you're a bird or a mole you can't hit it's roof or belly

Well, since moles or birds use anti-tank weapons, that's untrue. If you're in an elevated position (eg. in two-storey building) you can put rockets into the roof. The way to hit a tank in the belly is not to do it yourself, but stick a nice big AT mine in its path. That's guaranteed to stop anything.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2003, 22:35:55 »
In the game I have destroyed an M1A1 with only four RPG rockets. Granted it wasn't moving or shooting back, it was just a test of weapon strength. And that was in the side/turret.

And I really think the damage model in OFP should allow for more tactical options. That is, if a tank, no matter which, takes an RPG hit to the top of the tank just behind the turret, it's going to have a real crappy day.
OFP doesn't model that properly though.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Drozdov

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2003, 16:36:44 »
You know that a mine doesn't actually destroy an Abrams in one hit?  ::) Evil things! And just to test your theory about the roof I setPos-ed an RPGVL unit (addon) on top of it and shot downwards. Nothing happened (aside from the unit killing itself). Very little damage to the Abrams. It does only take 4 RPGVLs (this is the only RPG for me now, great sound effects) to kill an Abrams from behind but you can only carry two. Unless you have an ammo crate in your pocket it's as good as invincible. Really, if OFP used real American tactics rather than fair tactics it would be damn impossible. Imagine 50 of these bastards rolling towards your position, instead of the usual one or two they normally put in just to add an extra challenge. "Eeek!" *drops RPG and runs*

theFoxiam

« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2003, 17:02:50 »
whatever. PTRD. Need it.

Drozdov

« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2003, 21:50:37 »
Actually, the M60 does seem to be vulnerable in the radiator at the back. It takes just one RPG7VL to destroy it if you shoot it there, but anywhere else takes two.