Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: PTRDS Anti-Tank Rifle.  (Read 2172 times)

theFoxiam

PTRDS Anti-Tank Rifle.
« on: 25 Aug 2003, 11:14:00 »
Okay, since the Barrett thing was solved, I ran across this great rifle addon for the MACS M-2. Croatian rifle. very cool. But we need variety! SO! How about someone whip up that old Soviet Anti-Tank rifle the PTRD or the PTRDS (one was single shot the other was self loading. HUGE ROUND. Like 14.5mm. And it's a long gun too. Like two meters or more. Here are the actual specs.

Calibre, mm 14.5
Mass, kg 20.9
Length, mm 2108
Muzzle velocity, m/s 2012
Effective range, m 1500
Magazine capacity  5
Practical rate of fire (rds/min) 15

Awsome.

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

Black Magic

Re:PTRDS Anti-Tank Rifle.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2003, 14:45:48 »
We at WWIIEC have one courtesy of darknova but since we've got no Russian units to release it with we've tried offering it mods who do who haven't responded. But it exists, good fun to. I'll see about releasing it as a standalone or something. :)

theFoxiam

« Reply #2 on: 25 Aug 2003, 16:56:01 »
Totally! If you do though, don't make it limited to just the WW2 mods. Are the weapon values for it above the MACS 2-A or do you know?

Man o man o man o man I can't wait for this one

theFoxiam-dying to get another hand held rifle to wipe out those damned BMP's and T-72's

calm_terror

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2003, 06:55:07 »
could make it for a rebal force who use really old ww2 weapons.

theFoxiam

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2003, 11:14:31 »
Tis the point chief.

I'm trying to lay the ground work for this wee little campaign in a wasteland (think desert/graveyard). Involves a tiny group of soldiers lost. Only have old, aging weapons with hardly any ammo. One of them is either gonna get a PTRDS or just the normal MACS 2-A. The other may have an RPK-47. Maybe a medic-maybe not. Put the PTRDS is just an awsome piece of hardware. Totally low tech but rips through armor like butter. friggin 14.5mm man.

But now that we are talking about this, what about Mausers or Garands? Or just a weapons pack of civilian or old WW2/WW1 rifles. Nothing too out of control, but like a third world weapons pack? Just really slow, but strong rifles. Bolt action, jamming, piece of crap that some native would blow your head off with.

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

Mr_Shady

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2003, 16:59:40 »
The PTRD/PTRDS were totally obsolete by 1943, and they weren't much use against the tanks that were swanning around in 41-42, so I seriously doubt that they'd scratch anything resembling a modern tank. Also, the BMP's frontal armour is thick enough to withstand 14.5mm rounds.

Against a truck though...  :D

theFoxiam

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2003, 18:33:55 »
"The PTRD/PTRDS were totally obsolete by 1943, and they weren't much use against the tanks that were swanning around in 41-42, so I seriously doubt that they'd scratch anything resembling a modern tank. Also, the BMP's frontal armour is thick enough to withstand 14.5mm rounds."

Negative. False. but then again I never had it in my mind that one round would take out a BMP. Just talking about disabling to the point of useless.

The PTRD and the PTRDS were in service all the way through the Korean War.

In fact many of the two-man PTRD crews were credited quite a bit for their help during the tank battle at Kursk. (one website shows two soldiers with their PTRD's and credits them with 8 tank kills, each. 8 tank kills with a PTRD in 1943'.)

But, the PTRD production was halted in '45...the PTRDS (self loading) continued.

also, by the end of the war 400,000 of each type were produced.

In addition!!!!
Their were some guys in Kentucky that refurished a few of them to fire a 20mm M61 Vulcan round...THAT IS SO FIRGGIN AWESOME! IMAGINE A RIFLE FIRING A 20mm VULCAN CANNON ROUND!...

once again, please...someone...please...I'll beta test for you for a year, just make a pack with these in it (but just be damned sure it's more powerful than that MACS 2-A).

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

theFoxiam

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2003, 18:35:57 »
"The PTRD/PTRDS were totally obsolete by 1943, and they weren't much use against the tanks that were swanning around in 41-42, so I seriously doubt that they'd scratch anything resembling a modern tank. Also, the BMP's frontal armour is thick enough to withstand 14.5mm rounds."

Negative. False. but then again I never had it in my mind that one round would take out a BMP. Just talking about disabling to the point of useless.

The PTRD and the PTRDS were in service all the way through the Korean War.

In fact many of the two-man PTRD crews were credited quite a bit for their help during the tank battle at Kursk. (one website shows two soldiers with their PTRD's and credits them with 8 tank kills, each. 8 tank kills with a PTRD in 1943'.)

But, the PTRD production was halted in '45...the PTRDS (self loading) continued.

also, by the end of the war 400,000 of each type were produced.

In addition!!!!
Their were some guys in Kentucky that refurished a few of them to fire a 20mm M61 Vulcan round...THAT IS SO FIRGGIN AWESOME! IMAGINE A RIFLE FIRING A 20mm VULCAN CANNON ROUND!...

once again, please...someone...please...I'll beta test for you for a year, just make a pack with these in it (but just be damned sure it's more powerful than that MACS 2-A).

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

Mr_Shady

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2003, 18:48:15 »
The only way I could see a pair of blokes with an AT rifle knocking a tank out would be by hitting it right in the rear from less than 50m, getting lucky and severing a fuel line or something. Considering that a Panzer IV stood a good chance of surviving a hit to the front from a 45mm gun at combat ranges, and fair chances if it hit the sides, I doubt a 14.5mm round would fare well against anything much bigger. Granted, you have the lucky shots, and if you shoot something enough times you'll probably disable it, but getting enough shots in without the tank you're engaging, a tank with it, or the infantry supporting the tanks spotting you would need a small miracle. I mean, a 66mm HEAT rocket fired from a LAW would struggle against a T72 unless you were right up it's arse and were incredibly lucky, and a HEAT round is specially designed to defeat armour.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2003, 18:56:12 »
Fox, feel free to link us with the page where you found that information so we can read up on it too.

But agreed,  a 14.5mm round wouldn't do more than piss the crew off if you fired it at a Panzer III or Panzer IV.
Unless, like Kooky said, you get a lucky shot at a fuel-line, fuel-tank or such.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

theFoxiam

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2003, 19:33:27 »
Ask and you shall recieve, although admitedly I was wrong about the 8 tank kills each. It was 7 each. Still, 1943 that carries a lot of weight.

this one has lots of neat data and info on it.
http://www.battlefield.ru/library/bookshelf/weapons/weapons3.html

here is a REALLY cool link to a manual for the PTRD crews (with diagrams on where to fire to disable the tank)
http://www.battlefield.ru/library/bookshelf/weapons/weapons9.html

It's obvious that a PTRD is not going to make T-72 explode, but the possibility, to either wound the crew or disable a BMP or a T-72 (either the barrel or the mobility) does exist and I wouldn't think it to be as remote as you believe.

It would be a cool addon. (specially with the 20mm refurbished model...)

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2003, 20:00:56 »
Interesting links, but they didn't show the information about the Battle at Kursk.

After reading those links it only strengthened my beliefs. The 14.5mm AT-rifle doesn't knock large holes in tanks and doesn't easily take out a tank. They were instructed to shoot at particularly vulnerable spots on the tank, and a good shot might disable the tank.
However, the Panzer III has considerably less armour than a T72. If you fired one of those rifles at a T72 you wouldn't do more than scratch the paintjob and piss off the crew.

If employed wisely against BMP's (shooting the external fueltanks etc.) it might be of some use against them. But that was the main use in WW2 as well. Against armoured cars and vehicles. Not tanks.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

theFoxiam

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2003, 20:24:14 »
From the first link I listed their is a picture of two soldiers with PTRDS's, below is the caption for the photo.

The best tank killers of the 6th Guards Army, each with a score of 7 destroyed tanks. Battle of Kursk. (CMVS)

But you are right. Perhaps all one could do with a PTRD would be to knock out the barrel of a tank today. But a BMP is a different story...

...on the other hand the Finnish 20mm Anti-Tank rifle...heh if your still interested look it up on the web. It's a beast that ate up T-76's.

theFoxiam/iamtheFox

Bucket man

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2003, 23:01:21 »
That third world weapon pack would be very nice.
Weapons like PPSH41, SKS, Mosin Nagant, Degtjyarev, RPD and many other WW2 stuff is still being used in Africa by rebels and in Europe some countries still arm their reserve troops with WW2 weapons.

Drozdov

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2003, 20:49:07 »
Does it really matter where you hit tanks in OFP, aside from the different armour levels? I don't think it matters if you hit the thing that looks like a radiator (the M1A1s only weakpoint I believe) or a fuel drum or whatever other vulnerable spot. I think the actual gun barrel is the only target spot that yields extra results (just two hits and even an Abram's gun is disabled - very useful when fighting them with inferior tanks ,i.e., every other tank in the game). Also I read somewhere that BMPs have a tiny amount of armour, though I can't remember the actual figure... Something ridiculous like 20mm. I think.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2003, 21:02:24 »
The Abrams isn't as invulnerable as you'd think, if one got hit it in the roof, the belly or the rear, there'd be a good chance of it taking some serious damage.

The BMP's armour is enough to keep small-arms fire (anything up to about 14.5mm) out, as well as shell fragments, but it's main role is to deliver troops to the front line and give them fire support so it's not designed to go toe-to-toe with an MBT. The way the Russians would use them is en masse, along with MBTs. The tanks would draw much of the AT fire, allowing the BMPs to get closer to the enemy before the mounted troops got out, so they were designed to keep the troops safe from machine guns, snipers and artillery, the top infantry killers.

Drozdov

« Reply #16 on: 28 Aug 2003, 16:09:02 »
It takes something like 9 RPGs to destroy it, even if you're ramming them up its arse. And unless you're a bird or a mole you can't hit it's roof or belly.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2003, 19:21:25 »
I was talking about the real thing, but still, the in-game one's hardly invincible. If you hit it in the tracks and immobilise it, it's a piece of cake to work your way around to the back, where you can put a few rounds in the rear, which usually does enough damage to knock it out.

unless you're a bird or a mole you can't hit it's roof or belly

Well, since moles or birds use anti-tank weapons, that's untrue. If you're in an elevated position (eg. in two-storey building) you can put rockets into the roof. The way to hit a tank in the belly is not to do it yourself, but stick a nice big AT mine in its path. That's guaranteed to stop anything.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 28 Aug 2003, 22:35:55 »
In the game I have destroyed an M1A1 with only four RPG rockets. Granted it wasn't moving or shooting back, it was just a test of weapon strength. And that was in the side/turret.

And I really think the damage model in OFP should allow for more tactical options. That is, if a tank, no matter which, takes an RPG hit to the top of the tank just behind the turret, it's going to have a real crappy day.
OFP doesn't model that properly though.

Drozdov

« Reply #19 on: 29 Aug 2003, 16:36:44 »
You know that a mine doesn't actually destroy an Abrams in one hit?  ::) Evil things! And just to test your theory about the roof I setPos-ed an RPGVL unit (addon) on top of it and shot downwards. Nothing happened (aside from the unit killing itself). Very little damage to the Abrams. It does only take 4 RPGVLs (this is the only RPG for me now, great sound effects) to kill an Abrams from behind but you can only carry two. Unless you have an ammo crate in your pocket it's as good as invincible. Really, if OFP used real American tactics rather than fair tactics it would be damn impossible. Imagine 50 of these bastards rolling towards your position, instead of the usual one or two they normally put in just to add an extra challenge. "Eeek!" *drops RPG and runs*

theFoxiam

« Reply #20 on: 29 Aug 2003, 17:02:50 »
whatever. PTRD. Need it.

Drozdov

« Reply #21 on: 31 Aug 2003, 21:50:37 »
Actually, the M60 does seem to be vulnerable in the radiator at the back. It takes just one RPG7VL to destroy it if you shoot it there, but anywhere else takes two.