Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mod Mania  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Mod Mania
« on: 10 Aug 2003, 05:20:27 »
Every day i read the following news:

New Mod ! Greatest Mod of the world ! We will create 100 new Vehicles, 1000 new Units and three campaigns. We search modeler, texturer, mission maker, etc. Web page ...

Why ? IMHO there is for nearly all possible wars already a Mod existing. Please join these Mods ! I do want to see finished Mods and not 1000 Mods starving ones after 2 years.

So my appeal to the community:    Join existing Mods !

Offline toadlife

• OFPEC Old Skool
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFP Editing Center Toad
    • toadlife.net
Re:Mod Mania
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2003, 06:20:15 »
I'd like to second that. I'm still waiting for a sizeable mod to actually be finished.
"Whenever you want information on the 'net, don't ask a question; just post a wrong answer." -- Cancer Omega.

deaddog

« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2003, 06:44:07 »
The Finnish Defence Force Mod is finished (no pun intended :) ).  It doesn't have a ton of new vehicles, however.  Maybe that's why it's been released.   Those guys set their sights on a project that can actually be done in a reasonable amount of time.  It's pretty good, too (expect for those helicopter sounds.  :P Where's the "whoop whoop whoop"? No bass to them)

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2003, 07:07:57 »
well one of the few mod teams that catchd my eye when reading news is BAS i just cant resist, maybe im BIS addicted lol, damn 20 odd meg d/l for deltas/rangers almost killed my 56k modem lol

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 10 Aug 2003, 10:16:57 »
I'd like to third this, if you can even say that.
And most of the time you see MOD teams who really have a huge deal to benefit from cooperation go into a state of competition instead. "Oh no, they're making the same as us, better hurry up so we win this" instead of going "Hey, we notice that you are working on the same war and time-period as us, why don't ya come on in and join us so we can both get our stuff out sooner?"

*Gently points at every single WW2-MOD team*

This can also be said for individual addonmakers as well.
How many M4's do we have now?
How many M4 packs?
Wouldn't everyone benefit from a team of the most talented guys out there making the best M4 on the face of the earth?
No, let's all make one for ourselves, because it's the only gun we can model...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Garcia

• Members
  • Leeds United is the best football team...EVER!
« Reply #5 on: 10 Aug 2003, 11:02:49 »
well one of the few mod teams that catchd my eye when reading news is BAS i just cant resist, maybe im BIS addicted lol, d**n 20 odd meg d/l for deltas/rangers almost killed my 56k modem lol

ain't BAS a addon team and not a MOD? :P

And I agree that there seems to be too many MODs here...they are never finished... :-\

Garcia

Robbo

« Reply #6 on: 10 Aug 2003, 11:26:06 »
Every day i read the following news:

New Mod ! Greatest Mod of the world ! We will create 100 new Vehicles, 1000 new Units and three campaigns. We search modeler, texturer, mission maker, etc. Web page ...

Why ? IMHO there is for nearly all possible wars already a Mod existing. Please join these Mods ! I do want to see finished Mods and not 1000 Mods starving ones after 2 years.

So my appeal to the community:    Join existing Mods !

Lets hope they do, there are a lot of established teams that are struggling to find members, including us at the nomad mod (stops advertising :)), while we see several new mod teams come up, doing the same thing, as Ktotte said WW2 mod teams are a prime example. They all generally have another team doing the same thing as them, whether it be eastern or western front, it just saps talent to teams who are already doing the same thing as others.
Anyway enough rambling :)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 10 Aug 2003, 16:25:14 »
So where's the cmment on OFPEC here?

The comments board is not a comments about everything and anything board.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #8 on: 10 Aug 2003, 17:09:56 »
If I say "OFPEC is really really good and we love you Sefe" will you turn a blind eye?  ;)

asmodeus

« Reply #9 on: 10 Aug 2003, 17:31:31 »
Well, it is tied to OFPEC in a way...

Because we post some of the news that Kuro is talking about!   ;)

(I know, I know.. It's a stretch)   ::)   :P

IMO some people can't work with others or think they can do something better.. Oh well!  It creates competition, so that's kinda good!   ;)  

But I do agree that things would come out a lot faster and be a lot better if everyone worked together on similar projects.

Asmo

Mr_Shady

« Reply #10 on: 11 Aug 2003, 01:31:56 »
Competition's all well and good as long as it stays friendly. As soon as it gets into the realms of slagging the other team off and starting a major feud (a la the WWII modding community before they all made friends) it starts getting irritating. Especially when you see the co-operation between other teams (e.g. BAS and Earl/Suchey with JAM).

Also (veering off course), it always annoys me when a hard-working mod/addon team that's striving to make their project the best it can be gets a load of stick because they're teasing people with their screenshots, and they're arrogant etc. etc. while people heap praise on teams that produce very mediocre work at a good rate because they're releasing more stuff. KTottE will know who I'm getting at here.

Iwesshome

« Reply #11 on: 11 Aug 2003, 03:25:17 »
At the end of the day does it really matter how many Mod projects are under development?

I think all that matters is what people deliver to the OFP community. Yes, people will go on and on saying their projects are the best and we should all bow down and respect them as perfect Mod designers. Then we find out that half of the people out there just retextured another designers work and placed their tag on it without giving any credit to the original designer.

Let people do what they want to do... If 700,000 of 1 Million OFP fans want to create 5000 different Mods and only 10 emerge... well in the end I am only go to care about what I can play.

I am also part of this guilty group... I am currently working with someone to setup our own Mod but you know what... I just want to do my own thing instead of joining another group because I can't focus on their groups deliverables but instead I want to work at my own pace with my own ideas.

Just my 2 Cents and good luck to all you different Mod designers out there. :wave:

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 11 Aug 2003, 08:47:59 »
If you have original ideas that aren't being made by other Mods, of course you should go into production for yourself with your buddies. I never said different.

But my point is that talented/experienced addonmakers and scripters are a limited resource. So let's say we have a bunch of people that are great at doing WW2 addons. A third of them works with WW2EC, a third with I44, a third with Eastern Front Mod. It's all the same timeperiod, it's all the same units.
So why don't they cooperate?
I'm not saying they should all blend together and form The-Massive-WW2-Mod, but rather exchange units, scripts and knowledge between teams.
Let's say I44 are working on the german campaign into Russia, and Eastern Front Mod are doing the same except from the other point of view. Do we really need them both to create a set of german and russian units?
Isn't it better if the enemy in Eastern Front Mod is the germans that I44 make, and the enemies in I44 are the russians that Eastern Front Mod makes?

(BTW, I'm not sure if Eastern Front Mod are the ones that are working on Operation Barbarossa, if not and you know who, let me know ;))

And let's say WW2EC are working on Operation Overlord and have the allies set up already. Can't they use the germans from I44 as well?

I know many of these teams are far into production with their own units set up, so it's hard to bring it back in line so to speak. Nobody wants to give up what they've made.
But in the future, for future units, why not cooperate across the borders.
Let's face it, if ten talented and creative guys can create good units, what can 20 talented and creative guys do?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

OFP Director

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2003, 03:02:18 »
I agree with you guys, i have seen a good deal of mods announce big things and then just fade away into the sunset. Also, some people cannot put their ego aside and join a team so they try and make their own.

It makes it very hard on mission makers like myself when there are all these addons that are floating around from different teams and you can't use them all because people will be stuck downloading 100MB worth of addons from 10 different websites.

*Comment on OFPEC:

you have a very nice place here  :)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #14 on: 12 Aug 2003, 08:17:03 »
*cough*

Since no-one of you could give a satisfactory answer to my question (nice try, Asmo), I'm going to lock this thread.

Before the crying, screaming and complaining starts: this board was never a board for general discussions about OFP editing. It was about your views about OFPEC, how you think we could improve this site, etc. With this in mind, this discussion is off topic.