Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: I need minor assitance please with Group Link II by keycat pleeeease  (Read 4761 times)

CptBravo

Hi,

I just downloaded KeyCat's Group Link II and it is fantastic! Very smart AI.

The only minor issue I am having is how to get rid of that "Occupied Groupes" that keeps beeping the whole mission!!

I am not sure what file or line to edit/delete to make it go away :)

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

CptBravo

For those who might not have tried and have no idea what I am talking about; I am attaching the original mission.  :)

Your help is appreciated.

CptBravo

so ... anyone there??! :)

Offline DrStrangelove

• Members
  • Mr.Creative
Doesn't work. "grouplink.sqs" not found.

I copied the older grouplink.sqs from another version and was able to run it, but it lagged so horribly i couldn't do anything. Pretty fucked up.  :P

CptBravo

Hey Dr,

You sure? I just downloaded and it was there. It is under the AI file.
I mean it works great and does what it is supposed to do and the AI is very smart!! Its just that beeping noise that is really annoying .. I wish the author woyld have made two versions, one with and one without!! :)

Any scripting gurus pleeeeeeeeeease help!! :(

Offline Burn

• Members

::) :P the only thing you need to delete is a little script snippet located @ the bottom of the init.sqs:

#loop

; Show occupied groups
hint format["Occupied Groups:\n%1",occupied]
~5

goto "loop"

that little script snippet shows the groups that are occupied @ the moment in hint format ;)...

And a nother thing... IMHO, I think U should use the original script by toadlife for two reasons:

1) This script does not function properly, it only detects russian choppers as vehicles or sumthin, gave me alot of errors... dunno if he has fixed it :-\

2) Toadlifes script is in one easy package, n U only need to define the various groups... no need for landing pads or parking spots or server gl's.

But this is just my opinnion :-X
And no offence meant to Keycat, his script could maby be even better than toadys if he fixed some buggs n finetuned it alitle :-\
but as it is, I recomend usin toadlifes script :toocool:
ok... I'll shut up now :-X
 :cheers:

rudyvarner

The beeping is the Occupied Group Hint.  Two ways you can get rid of it, remove the hint loop that bizon suggested or just turn your music volume off.

I've been using this script and have had no issues with it.  You can add vehicles so the AI can mount them by editing the unmount and remount .sqs files.  I've attached a file with more vehicle possibilties added.

Rudy

Note:  These files are for Player is West and AI is East
« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2003, 20:30:56 by Rudedog »

CptBravo

Thanks Bizon! It works now without the annoying noise :)

Thanks Rudedog for the file. I will certainly look at it and give it a try.
So far I have tried the script without any issues so far.

I just need to get myself famerliazed with it. But so far the AI acts pretty smart .. for an AI that is :)

The only thing this script does not have which the older one had is that the older was for both East and West. I hope the author adds that felxibilty into this one as well.

Thanks guys for your help.

CptBravo

Sory one more question ..

The script is working great now with one west group which is mine. Now I am trying to add two other west squads to mine so it would be:
gw1,gw2,gw3

So this is what I added in in the init file:

[[ge1,ge2,ge3,ge4,ge5,ge6,ge7,ge8],[ge1],[ge1],gw1,gw2,gw3,3,0.10] exec "grouplink2.sqs"

But I keep getting an error msg about VAR?

Is this the correct way to add west groups to it?

The other quick question is .. if I wanted the East to use some other vehicles not in the script .. how do I find out the name of the vehicle I want to use?

Thank you for asnwering my basic questions! :)

CptBravo

The error is something like that: if max groups=0 then  max groups = max groups +1 and error in expression!!

I hope that helps.

Thanks

rudyvarner

I chatted with KeyCat via PM and he said so far you can only specify one target group.  He said the next version will contain the possibility of multiple target groups.  Hope this helps.

CptBravo

Hey Rudedog,

Thanks for the reply. I guess we will have to wait till next version comes out.
The good thing about the original script by toadlife was it allowed tottal felxibilty.

I hope the new version comes soon!! :)

Thanks

rudyvarner

Just an FYI,

Grouplink 1.21 has been released on the BIS forums and updated here at the Editing Center.

Here is the link to the thread

Here is what KeyCat is adding in the next version.

Can also mention that I've done some major progress on the upcoming version so now the enemy AI hear and react to your gunfire if you are in their vincinity (i.e. closer than ~600 m with a regular M16) and I'm now pretty confident that I will get it to work. Still things to do and as most scripters knows there are limitations but it looks very promising  

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

Rudy

« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2003, 13:19:48 by Rudedog »

Offline KeyCat

• Members
Sorry guys for catching this thread a bit late but you seems be doing quite well anyway  :)

I'm aware about the problem with multiple groups and have it on my "todo" list. Currently the proirity is to give the AI some "hearing aid" so they react to gunfire if you open fire in their vincinity even if they aren't shot at directly, after that I plan to add support for resistance vehicles.

Have most things working so far but wan't to ensure that everything works OK in multiplayer before I release it.

BTW, I don't visit this forum as often as I wish so if you have any questions they may get faster respond over at BIS official forum.

Stay tuned!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2003, 00:19:14 by KeyCat »
- The journey is the reward!

Offline KeyCat

• Members
And no offence meant to Keycat, his script could maby be even better than toadys if he fixed some buggs n finetuned it alitle

Bizon, no offence taken ;)

Just to set things strait - I don't do this for competition, just started with toadlifes great script and improved it for my own pleasure to be used when playing co-op's with my buds and then decided to share it!

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 25 Aug 2003, 00:10:51 by KeyCat »

Offline Burn

• Members
And I'm glad you decided to share your ideas with the community :thumbsup:.
Cause if it wheren't for all you talented scripters out there... how would poor little missionmakers like me, that don't have the slightest idea how to make those brilliant scripts that all of ya make, come out with a half a deacent mission ::).
I'm working on that, learning advanced scripting part...  :-\
but to tell you the truth, I doubt that I'll ever fully understand it :beat:.
*yawn*
*ZZZZZZZ...*
Oh... dozed of for a moment there :P...

Anyways, keep sharing your ideas n' scripts with the community,
cause I'm depending on it ;) :tomato:

Offline KeyCat

• Members
After downloading tons of great addons, mods, missions, scripts, tutorials, patches etc. from all over the net I'm just trying to give something back to a great community and will continue to do so when time permitts :)

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

CptBravo

Just curious about the new version which you said will allows the enemy to use "hearing aid"  .. will that allow the enemy different groupes to also hear and react to other west groupes even though they are not in the init field. If they do then this will certainly be a new level in AI intelligence!!

Keep up the good work!

Offline KeyCat

• Members
No the enemy AI will only react to your squads gunfire and only if they are using the script (i.e are listed in the init field).

Due to script/engine limitations it's not perfect but it's IMO much better than default where you can lie a short distance away (couple of 100 m) and empty a mag in the air with your MG or toss grenades like a crazy man without the enemy AI noticing you :-\

If everything works out they will at least react by hitting the dirt and the leader will scan or move the group in direction of your gunfire.

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2003, 18:29:30 by KeyCat »

CptBravo

Hi KeyCat,

I can't wait to try the new version!! :)

Is it going to have the option to add more west groupes? (fingers crossed yes!!) :)

I agree, this problem with AIs being deaf is a universal problem with most FPS games!! Kinda takes away from the realism. So it will certainly be a warm welcome to a script that adds that to the game.

I have tested your script by the way in a couple of missions and it is simply AWESOME!

Thanks

Offline KeyCat

• Members
I'm sorry to dissapoint you but the main priority in the upcoming version is to give enemy AI the "hearing aid" and have that working in multiplayer.

Hopefully I will find the bug causing problems with multiple target groups later. As I said it's on my "todo" list but I can't say when.

I have tested your script by the way in a couple of missions and it is simply AWESOME!

toadlife should have some of that credit since it was his original script that got me started! Anyway, glad you like it  :)

/Christer (a.k.a KeyCat)

« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2003, 02:41:33 by KeyCat »

CptBravo

Hi everyone,

Just a quick simple question regarding KeyCat AI script. Since it is only possible to use it with one target west group .. what would happen if I give 3 groups the same name?? Say all 3 target groupes will be group gw1 ?? I have tried it in mission and got no error msgs but hard to tell if the AI is responding to ALL 3 target groupes.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated!

Captain Bravo
« Last Edit: 26 Oct 2003, 16:46:58 by CaptainBravo »

CptBravo

umm .. did I say ANY feedback is grrrreatly appreciated? :)

Offline Burn

• Members
Use all the debugging scripts that Toadlife and KeyCat used in their example missions, eg... markers.sqs etc... Or,
Why don't ya just E-Mail KeyCat ;) :P

CptBravo

hey Bizon,

My question has nothing to do with markers actually ...  ;D

My questions is : If I name gw1 as the target group and then go ahead and name 3 groupes gw1 .. would the AI respond to all 3 as the target group?? In other words can you name several group same name in OFP? Reason for doing this is because the current KeyCat AI script only responds to one target group.

I'll send a msg  to KeyCat.

Thanks. :)
« Last Edit: 27 Oct 2003, 23:08:25 by CaptainBravo »