Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Mission: Transmitting radio instructions to other Human-controlled groups  (Read 334 times)

madwolfnemesis

I'd read through The Chain Of Command Manual in regards to the COC Engine. It's very extensive and has what I needed, and what I DO NOT need. I thought of using it for my addon/scripts but I believe it'll make the learning curve of the game even longer if my users are to use my addon/scripts. What I need is:

1. Having the player to send radio instrutions (eg: Advance, Dsiembark, Flank Left/right etc) to other groups controlled by human-players over the network.
EXample: There are 3 groups and there is one Platoon Commander commanding the rest of the 3 groups. I just need the PC to communicate to the group leaders of the 3 groups. In other words, I just need my radio instructions to be transitted to the leader of the 3 groups, as the leader of the 3 groups will be human players and thus, they are able to control their group AIs.

Is it possible? I know I'd been posting alot of relavant questions over here but it seems like I need somebody to help me develop this with me while I keep searching for resources. I just need help from some veterans to help me with this addon/scripts? I need ideas to start with. Please advise. Give me a PM if you're interested or ,posting some solutions here as to how to go about doing it will be helpful as well. Thank you.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
This is easy in principle.    What you need is a cascade of radio triggers.

For clarity, I'll assume that you are familiar with radio triggers.   If you're not, no problem - just let us know and we'll start from the beginning.

So to start you need to set up 3 radio channels

"1" setRadioMsg "Give orders to 1 Platoon"
etc

Now 3 triggers

Activation:  Radio Alpha
On Activation:   [] exec "alpha.sqs"

etc

(If you're clever with scripts you could probably use just one script and pass alpha, beta, charlie as variables, but that's another story)

alpha.sqs

; this is a script to allow the player to send commands to 1 platoon

"1" setRadioMsg "Attack!"
"2" setRadioMsg "Flank left"
"1" setRadioMsg "Flank right"

(etc.)

;this variable is required to control the various radio alpha triggers that are in the game.    Use other variables to turn triggers on an off, so that at any one moment only one radio alpha trigger can be activated.

1command=true

@1command=false

"1" setRadioMsg "Give orders to 1 Platoon"
etc
"4" setRadioMsg "Null"
etc

exit

Now you need a bunch of triggers

Activation box:   Radio Alpha
Activation:    this and 1command
On Activation:    player sidechat "1 Platoon attack!"; 1command=false

This is only a sketch of what you need to do, syntax and details may need some tweaking.     Anyway, I  hope it makes sense.    Ask if not.

edit:   I don't know much about MP but I do know that it's not script-friendly.    You'll probably need to pass variables between the clients and the server.   It might be easier to use gamelogics and looping waypoints rather than a script.

« Last Edit: 17 Jul 2003, 11:39:22 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

madwolfnemesis

Hey, thanks for the help. Kinda understand what u are trying to get me into, creating a totally new radio commands. What about using exisitng ones like "advance", "go prone", "take cover" etc? Is it possible?