Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: what happened to the mission ideas forum?  (Read 1963 times)

Phantom

what happened to the mission ideas forum?
« on: 03 Jul 2003, 08:38:59 »
I've been around in this forum for quite some time now, and i've noticed that there are less and less ideas coming out, and even less good ones, what happened, there used to be tons in here, and i'd come every day, now i come 2-3 times a month and the same topics are still on the first page, is it that people are just lazy, or is it that too many young kids are getting in and not being able to continue the work once it becomes a challenge?

Komuna

Re:what happened to the mission ideas forum?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jul 2003, 20:19:53 »
is it that too many young kids are getting in and not being able to continue the work once it becomes a challenge?

You've already answered. ::)

But, unfourtunately, there's another reason, which became very familiar to me:

These guys are waiting for OFP2 (which will available on later 2004... :-\), and are quiting on oldy OFP editing... Can't understand why ;D ???

max_killer_payne

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jul 2003, 20:25:56 »
I agree Phantom. I used to come here reguarly, topics aglore. But now........... I just dont wanna talk about it ne more *runs off into corner crying*

deaddog

« Reply #3 on: 04 Jul 2003, 21:58:01 »
My guess would be that most people would like to make a mission based on new ideas but most topics seem to have been covered.  I've been trying to come up with unique ideas but haven't had much luck.

bigdog632

« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2003, 03:06:54 »
i post but i either get no reply(my ideas suck?) or it has already been done/suggested

Wolf

« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 2003, 06:47:27 »
I think that's most likely the problem, almost everthings been done, or atleast mentioned in here.
Then there's the fact that alot make the mission in the first place, and don't bother writing it down here.
There's also this, as you mentioined
get no reply
Or it gets a short reply, and nothing comes of it. I've seen that alot in here.

Phantom

« Reply #6 on: 05 Jul 2003, 10:39:33 »
now i think it's a mixture, people probably have gone through every idea, but you never see a finished product, and i keep thinking that mod teams mean missions, and it doesn't, they all seem to be making addons, WHERE'S THE DECENT MISSIONS!!!!

I played that one that was given a !!!9!!! by the OFPEC reviewer, and it has to be one of the worst missions i've played, sure there were nifty features, but the gameplay was terrible, nothing worked.....

also, the editor is a real pain in the arse, maybe if it was a bit easier to use then people would be more inclined to get past the construction phase, plus all the annoying bugs!

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2003, 05:47:46 »
Thats exactly my thoughts about these "mods". If I ever made a mod, my FIRST concern would be making missions. As far as "all the ideas being used up", I find that idea laughable. Just like in the 1800's, when people thought that "everything has been invented that can be invented". But the most important thing is not to have a good idea, but to have good execution. I don't care how basic or unoriginal the idea, if you execute it properly, it is going to be a fun mission. Period.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Phantom

« Reply #8 on: 10 Jul 2003, 07:53:54 »
i couldn't agree more

aazell

« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2003, 13:51:36 »
I've recently returned to the OFP community after about a year of editing other games (mainly Jedi Knight II).

I'm amazed by how much things have moved on here with regard to tutorials and resources for editing. It's never been easier thanks to the work of this site.

Looking through the map ideas and the missions available though I am a little dissapointed.

The real brilliance of OFP is that it's so flexible in multiplayer. I see on this site that this has not really been taken advantage of. Co-op missions used to be my favorite. But now I have decided to put together an indepth MP 2 team game. CTF and Deathmatch are not suited to OFP. Capture and hold works a little better but still we've seen these game types over and over again.

Why hasn't anyone put together an MP game with two teams each with an interesting and complex objective?

I just don't understand how this could have been overlooked.
If you want to take a look at my MP ideas please check out the thread below. I've added a shed load more functions that are now in the game.

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=11110

Thanks

Aaz

Phantom

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jul 2003, 15:10:22 »
i can't tell if he's contributing or just advertising himself