Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Role Playing Style game?  (Read 1472 times)

Noel_From_Ireland

Role Playing Style game?
« on: 16 Jun 2003, 13:40:45 »
Im not sure if what im about to suggest is possible, but its just an idea that swiftly popped to mind....

Is it possible to create a never ending mission for OFP that is completly roleplaying orientated? For example... you start off as a civilian with absolutly nothing. You complete jobs for credits and with those credits you can buy guns and ammunition. Your character starts off very slow... very unaccurate with a weapon?

You start off in one particular part of the map and the only hostiles within a 3 miles radius of that area are very poor quality soldiers, if you kill 5x crap soldiers, your accuracy increases by 0.1 kill 10 crappy soldiers to get 0.2 kill 20 for 0.3 40 for 0.4 etc etc etc...

the further you go away from home the harder the troops get, so you gotta make sure your good enough before venturing out further.. you get credits for killing baddys but the ammount of credits depends entirely upon how hard the enemy was.

Baddys should constantly respawn so that you can play forever

There should be different locations where you can buy different things like guns.. or maybe even vehicals....

Pricing

Beretta 9mm is the starting weapon
9mm Ammo = 30 creds per clip

The better the weapon, the more it costs
etc
etc
etc

Is this type of idea in anyway a possibility to create? if so I think it would be very very good fun :)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:Role Playing Style game?
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jun 2003, 14:39:42 »
U can make a RPG. But the suggestion u have will be more, I dunno, boring. I think if u follow a story and just stick to the skills and dialoges it can be sumthing but what u have in mind I think will let the player go after an hour or sumthin.

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2003, 08:49:27 »
The problem with this idea (which isn't necessarily a bad idea...) is that this engine isn't made for this.

There are no skills (well, there is one, but AI can go from 0 to 1 in a few battles).
The maps are huge, but the amount of units you can have is small.
Any unit can use ANY vehicle, and weapons become more of a preference above the M-16.. (for example Steyr versus G36 versus M21 versus PK etc... depends on your style so once you got your fav gun, your good 2 go)

I would like to see this engine handle some of those things though.... it would be fun.

SteroidG

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jun 2003, 09:34:14 »
It'd be interesting to see how an RPG is going to be developped using OFP.

First you have to consider if it's going to be a skill based or a level based RPG and build a tech tree accordingly. Then because the limite of units you can have, you have to figure out a way so that units only spawn (slowly, so it doesn't cause too much delay) at the right place and for the right level of the player. And lesser units should be much less likely to spawn when a character has gained high leve, so the mission's plot will keep going thus giving the player motivation. The same thing goes for deleting units when the player is not around that place any more.

There must be a plot to give players motivation to keep going. Other wise it'll just get boring. There should be unique characters with different skill set so you can use their ability for your benefit.

As for skills, you can use your immagination like, say you can have mechanic skill to repair cars, then repair trucks, then APC, then Tank, Then Air craft etc. Or a construction skill that allows you to make fenses, then sand bags, then small fort then big fort etc... It should't be so hard to make the system. Say you have an array that contains the skill set, experience point, money, status etc of each character.

I wish you luck on developing this :).

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jun 2003, 10:48:19 »
The thing about RPGs is that it is fun to kill different monsters. If Diablo only had Zombies, how fun would it be eh? Sure, u can add tanks, or add a healin script which do so the AI doesnÂ't die untill headshot but it will be much the same. If you stick to a story with boundaries instead of this "kill evrythin, get money, buy" which I think will not work in OFP itÂ'll be at least more than avarge.

SteroidG

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jun 2003, 02:45:01 »
Personally I wouldn't call Diablo an RPG, it's more of a hack and slash fest than anything else (still fun to play sometimes though).

If you use something like Ultima 7 as reference, you'd see that the way the story goes is completely depend on the player's ability to solve puzzles rather than how well he can kill monsters. Also, a sign of a good RPG is character interaction. Something like, some of your party menbers might get upset to you if you keep killing civilians where others might encourage it. Therefore, making interesting NPC in an RPG is more important than making bad ass monsters.

RPGs set in modern times doesn't need to have to have too many different monsters really. A good example is Jagged Alliance 2. It has about 4 or 5 types of enemies, tongs of guns. Which is the exact situation in Flashpoint. It's the way you encounter enemies, the fact that you have to use your skills and all your team's special skills, the way your team members makes funny comments when they kill someone with a good shot that always make you come back for more.

Here's an idea, instead of killing enemies for money, income should be mission based. Depending how well you've accomplished the mission, you recieve your payment accordingly. Kinda like mercenaries. Put vendors in friendly town so you can spend money to buy supplys. By removing most guns and ammos from the dead soldiers when they die. You make buying equiptment meaningful.

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jun 2003, 05:01:47 »
To carry what CMB said a little farther:

Most RPG games have one overall quest and then many, many smaller ones.  Those could be the individual missions.  It would all have to be wrapped up in a campaign style game.  This would allow your "inventory" and other info to carry over from mission to mission.  It would also allow you to use several islands instead of being stuck with one, as one long mission would require.

I think it's a good idea.  A military based RPG.

Exodus

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jun 2003, 08:35:03 »
hey i think its a great idea and people are already working on it now. im part of some people who are trying to do this, but in a more mafia sense. its going to be like Grand Theft Auto type of thing in Flashpoint. Its called Cessena Fun. And if you would like to try some beta testing then you can send me an email at goldenblade64@yahoo.com We are currently having some problems with one of the scripts so we really need more beta testers so please send me an email if you are interested. This is just the thing that you guys are talking about. RPG type of game, you start as a civilian and you can take taxi's to places. Go to car shops and buy cars and motorcycles and much more. There is also a working police department that comes after you if you kill trandom people. There are no skills or anything in this game but there are tons of jokes and shit in it

max_killer_payne

« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2003, 13:49:38 »
Yeh, that Cessna Fun mod. It looks well cool. A multiplayer RPG for OFP.

bigdog632

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2003, 09:52:37 »
i always associate an RPG MP game into the MMORPG style for the most fun a server that never goes down a game that like never ends(and a 10 dollar a month fee ???)
i personally think OFP isnt suited for the rpg style game....but thats just me