Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Training Weapon  (Read 2500 times)

Mr_Shady

Re:Training Weapon
« Reply #15 on: 08 Jun 2003, 17:52:14 »
It's for MP squad training purposes, so people can work on tactics and marksmanship etc. without having to respawn every five seconds.

And why, pray tell, is getting killed and magically being brought to life at a predefined location more realistic than having a weapon that essentially fires blanks?  ???

calm_terror

« Reply #16 on: 08 Jun 2003, 19:41:04 »
it would be easer then having to rework EVERY weapon.
of course i am sure there has to be a way to just write a script to remove bullent damage. and to count points ie a hint that was a hit and how much damage it would have made.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #17 on: 08 Jun 2003, 20:16:26 »
This isn't about what's easy, it's about what works best. I made a training mission for my squad with respawns, but it messes with the flow of an attack when you have to stop because someone's respawned back at the start point with a BIS M16 and one mag.

A script would be a better solution than making a weapon pack, I agree, and I don't think it's neccesary to re-work every weapon (my squad tends to use about five or six different guns on regular occasions) when a basic selection of rifle, machine gun, sniper rifle, pistol would do.

If a script could be made that stops bullets from doing damage but making a message come up (perhaps in the radio chat bar) saying who had been hit or something, I'd be happy.

« Last Edit: 08 Jun 2003, 20:18:21 by Kooky »

DeLiltMon

« Reply #18 on: 09 Jun 2003, 09:40:30 »
Either that or we just all run round shouting "BANG!"  :P
I would have thought it would be pretty simple to just drop the level of damage in the config, in fact you may be able to add a new magazine class so that you could have a mix of live and blank firing exercises in the same mission (just make sure you know what you're firing though ;))

I've just had a quick look at BIS's commented config and I'm guessing but I reckon this is the bit you'd need to set:
hit=9;indirectHit=2;indirectHitRange=0.1;
Could someone who knows about weapon configs verify this?

Mr_Shady

« Reply #19 on: 09 Jun 2003, 19:39:41 »
Hm, didn't think of that. Cheers Lilty, I'll ask Deadmeat next time he's on MSN. Kudos to you, good sir :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: 09 Jun 2003, 19:39:56 by Kooky »

DeLiltMon

« Reply #20 on: 10 Jun 2003, 09:44:12 »
I hope you mean the limited damage, not the shouting bang option, not even the TA have to do that anymore  ;D
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2003, 09:44:56 by DeLiltMon »

Mr_Shady

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jun 2003, 17:35:42 »
Heh, my Dad told me about an excercise he was on when he was in the Junior Leaders (kind of a pre-training organisation for potential NCOs in the Armoured Corps before they joined their regiments), where they only had five blank rounds each, after that they had to scream "BANG!!" at the top of their voices.

Army of the 70's?  ;D

Yahoo

« Reply #22 on: 10 Jun 2003, 18:04:40 »
Kooky do you mean by Training weapon that it does very little or no damage if that is the case then i shall make one for you just tell me which weapon(s) you want.

The weapons have to use default models.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jun 2003, 01:09:06 »
It's okay mate, I've got a couple of guys from my MP squad making an SA80 for training purposes (I'll be sure to post a link up here when it's done).

Cheers for the offer though :cheers:

Ball Zack

« Reply #24 on: 12 Jun 2003, 01:30:32 »
Allthough I don't really see the point of this addon, it would work great for creating scripted cut scenes and movies...

Mr_Shady

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jun 2003, 02:47:08 »
I tried getting this to work ages ago, when I was working on a mod. We needed a cutscene of troops on the same side on an exercise shooting at each other, and didn't want piles of bodies. The mod fizzled out, then I forgot about it. Right now though, it's going to be handy for multiplayer training, so teams can work on fire and movement with players shooting at them, but without constant respawns. Just a good way of getting the tactics right and seeing how good a shot someone is without needing an endless supply of targets.

baldmaggot

« Reply #26 on: 12 Jun 2003, 13:10:39 »
Hey guys!
Just reviewed my topic again and im pleased to see the amount of disscussion envolved!  ;D
Cheers Kooky im sure we will get this addon in the making!