Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ALARM!!!  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
ALARM!!!
« on: 02 Jun 2003, 20:22:36 »
Hi there!

I have an enemy squad patroling an area. They have several "Move" waypoints forming an ugly circle and the last one is a "Cycle" waypoint placed over the first "Move" waypoint. So they patrol in circle and thats fine!

I have also many single units around and what I would like to acheive here is that if one or more of the single units see me, that the big squad comes kick my ass like my ol' idian grand mother used to! Right now the squad keeps following its waypoint

Many thanx in advance!

c r u n c h
Back to the forest!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
Re:ALARM!!!
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jun 2003, 20:25:27 »
use switch trigers ;)

search lil around da forums me nd maca answered 3 of dis Qs last week :P ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:15:04 »
Ok I found it!

But when I synch the cycle waypoint with the trigger, will the squad only go to the seek & destroy waypoint once the trigger's conditions are fullfilled?

And what about the seek & destroy waypoint, do I put it over the player? What if there are more than one unit seen?
Back to the forest!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:18:44 »
if u ask me use guard WP after da cycle ;) den da AI decides were da unit is needed  ;)  :o

But when I synch the cycle waypoint with the trigger, will the squad only go to the seek & destroy waypoint once the trigger's conditions are fullfilled?

positive

And what about the seek & destroy waypoint, do I put it over the player? What if there are more than one unit seen?

wereever u want it ;) nd 4 dalast bit check da 1st thing i wrote ;)

LCD OUT

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:20:10 »
Put the S&K at the centre of the area you want that group to search.   You might actually be better off with a guard WP.

The squad will keep cycling till the switch trigger is fired, yes.

I explained the whole thing in detail within the last week or two, so just search back through my posts and you'll find it. ;)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:22:36 »
guess whos faster dan macca ? ::) :P

im startin 2 close da distance ;)

LCD OUT

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:24:59 »
why not use Toady's group script? makes AI call reinforcements  :D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:28:10 »
he said he want da group 2 react not call reinforcments ;)

but Toady's group script is alwayz option ;) wen used right ;D (nd dont unbalance da mision ;D)

LCD OUT

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:30:45 »
CHRIST!!!!

Really sorry guys! :-[

I just discovered how to check ONE individual's quotes and not the entire forum's history! :-\ Sorry for the trouble but still many thanx for the time and help! (And patience for a lumberjack trying to mutate as a PC freak!) :afro:

c    r  u       nc     h
Back to the forest!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jun 2003, 21:46:35 »
And u can always take a look at my switch trigger tute in the editors(pending if nothin happend yet) if u wanna learn more. ;)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jun 2003, 02:03:04 »
Let me annoy You guys some more about this subject!

I read the The Real Armstrong's tute about the switch triggers and tried seveal mission, unpboed some campaigns and spmission to learn more about it and I get it now.

The problem is, in the mission I'm making, the enemy is sieging the airport on Malden. It's a big aera and my mission is Black Op type. Four Black Op against about 40 enemy units + a chopper on a big area.

The switch trigger synched with the cycle waypoints thing works fine but the problem is the patrols go seek only around the s&k waypoint's position. I know I could take I guess and put it where I think the player would attack but what if not???

I could increase the size of the s&k or guard waypoint radius but then when one of the four player is spotted by an enemy in the west part, the patrols go to the north east part and have intercourses there. Now that hurts realism! ::)

Is there any way that the troops around would be notified of the spotted intruder's position and go straight there even if they don't feel like it???

And I mean the position which the spotted intruder was seen at and not where the intruder IS at all time. Because if I'm lucky, I will kill the guy who spotted me and stealthly move in a bush or something!

Does ANYONE know about a way to achieve this??

Please help!
Back to the forest!

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jun 2003, 02:33:55 »
use setwppos commend

wapoint setWPPos position

Operand types:
wapoint: Array
position: Array
Type of returned value:
Nothing
Description:
Set waypoint position. Waypoint is in format Waypoint. Position is in format Position2D.

Example:
[groupOne, 1] setWPPos getMarkerPos "MarkerOne"

LCD OUT

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jun 2003, 11:40:11 »
thats commAND, bimbo!  ::) ;D

:D A similar suggestion, m8 :

try & name your WP "W1" (in the NAME field of the WP window).

Then use the syntax:

W1 setWPPos getPos Player

============

hence this:
And I mean the position which the spotted intruder was seen at and not where the intruder IS at all time. Because if I'm lucky, I will kill the guy who spotted me and stealthly move in a bush or something!

The syntax SHOULD make the guards move to the player's position (the spot where they saw him).

You could use "knowsabout" as condition  :)

« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2003, 11:55:50 by Tomb »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun 2003, 13:48:28 »
Crunchie, this is a fundamentally a common problem and solving it is a two stage process.

Stage one, which is now almost complete, is discovering the tool kit and learning how to use it.     Switch triggers, setWPPos, knowsaboue, move command, cycle, guard and S&D waypoints, that sort of thing - they are the toolkit.   You pretty much have that now.

The second stage is combining those ideas in the right way for your mission.     This is really a case of using your imagination so set things up and then lots and lots and lots of playtesting.     There is no other way to make a good effect.    
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2003, 14:46:57 »
comm and wat ? ::)

da WP got name field ? ::) u meen da part were u put text in ? (so da player c wat his objective ?) dats not name field  ;D - oir mebe im missin somin - long time since i used WPS  ;)

*spanks tomb

:P

LCD OUT