Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Planes keep crashing  (Read 863 times)

renegade798

Planes keep crashing
« on: 26 Jan 2004, 00:40:38 »
Hi Every-body,

I want to do a parachute drop mission, but I keep having the same problem, I start the planes off flying, but when they started they were too low and crashed into the mountain, so I did the raise object thing(with the flying), and they start off high enough, but after like 3 seconds the planes start to lower, as if they're landing, eventually get so low they crash.

I wanna know why they keep lowering on their own, I gave them way points. If it helps they're C-47's.

Also how do you make it so the planes fly staight without turning.

If you know anything please let me know.

-thanx

_hammy_

Re:Planes keep crashing
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jan 2004, 00:57:09 »
hmmm... thats weird ive never had that problem before.

to make the planes fly straight without turning: put the waypoints in a straight line.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jan 2004, 01:23:42 »
If you give planes or choppers a flyinheight command they do tend to fly into mountains - the command slows down the normal height adjustment routines or something.     Either give new flyinheight commands for the mountain section, to help them get up and down, or better still don't give such commands at all until the last possible moment.

Sadly I've never found a "cancel flyinheight" command, which would be very useful.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

renegade798

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2004, 01:32:12 »
The big problem isnt them flying into mountains, its that they start to desend as soon as the mission starts, and then they crash into the ocean. Also, I dont dont wanna sound naive, but whats a flyinheight command, also is there any other way to make this problem stop.

-thanx
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2004, 01:34:18 by renegade798 »

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2004, 01:45:27 »
Ah, sorry, I misunderstood.  

If you ever hear tell of a command you don't know, look it up in the command references in the Ed Depot.   I always start with the online version because you sometimes get helpful comments from people.    The unofficial command ref is also good, though a bit out of date now.

Do the planes have fuel?  (Just checking ..)
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

renegade798

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2004, 02:42:05 »
All the planes have plenty of fuel and they have waypoints to go to. they just seem to land when the mission starts, they dont just dive down into the ocean or anything, they slowly desend, and its anoying.

dragonshinobi03

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2004, 03:07:16 »
Macgabe is sorta right i added this in my init field of my plane
Code: [Select]
this flyinheight 100And i made a wp for the plane  on the mountain, the on the mountain wp of the plane set the behaviour to careless and than add this in the activition field :
the flyinheight 120
If the plane still crashes into the mountain just keep changing the mountain wp's flyinheight to highter like 130,140,150,etc.

I tried this in my mission and it flew over the mountains without crashing.

o yea set the plane special to "flying"
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2004, 03:10:41 by Tenzin Phuri »

AMD_ROCKS

« Reply #7 on: 26 Jan 2004, 06:02:43 »
hey don't forget.

That flyinheight command does not seems to work more the ONCE or at all in the waypoint init field

Trying using flags, I encountered a different problem but the problem shares the same root as yours.  Trying to make the chopper to fly as if it was flown by humans not AI.

Let say the pilot is named pilotA and the chopper is named chopperA

Use 2 triggers.  Add FIRST trigger to the area where there are trees.  Group it (F2 key or the grouping command, that greenish line which appears when you add a group of soldiers) with the chopper or pilot.  Just drag the FIRST trigger to the pilotA or chopperA

pilotA flyInHeight ###[/b]

or, if the chopper begin WITHOUT a pilot (which from my point of view is for the very reason of better control)

chopperA flyInHeight ###[/b]
Now, set the area trigger where you know the chopper will be facing a face load of trees, move the trigger before the chopper reach those trees.  This is where you will be doing alot of what I did, the boring "PREVIEW", sit and watch play testing.

Then, set the SECOND trigger that same as the FIRST one.  Except position this strategically at the end of the forest area.

If you want something more complicated.  You can add a timer for the SECOND trigger and increase it size untill it convers the entire forest.  Now add a countdown time for the SECOND trigger.  

You now have a tigger that have the chopper does the following.

1.) once the chopper enters the FIRST trigger, it will fly up higher to avoid eating leaves.

2.) the chopper will also fly into the SECOND trigger the same time it fly into the FIRST.  Because you have increase the SECOND trigger's size.  But it won't activate untill a certain time.  (the time THAT you find it necessary for the chopper to fly over the obstacles)

3.) the chopper will lower itself back down.

If you need a mission to show you how this work, I will do one.  But please use your imagination, I just solved a real simple yet bitchy to do action.

Trying to make the chopper to STOP unloading troops once the BMP the troops suppose to enter was destroyed.  It looks dramatic because the BMP is right infront of the chopper as the chopper decends.

Once the BMP explodes, you will see the chopper abort this particular landing zone and head towards the second one.

You are welcome to look at this ...  http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=15303

Hope my advice help and not too ambigious.   :)
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2004, 06:05:22 by AMD_ROCKS »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 26 Jan 2004, 12:52:02 »
That flyinheight command does not seems to work more the ONCE or at all in the waypoint init field
Well that seems strange since for me they work just fine...

Only thing to remember is that the flyInHeight works between two WPs, so that if the first WP has the flyInHeight the chop/plane will start to descent while going to the next WP... At least I remember reading this somewhere...

So don't blame me if I'm wrong...  ;D
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.