Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: higher level of injury  (Read 798 times)

Madmike

higher level of injury
« on: 03 Apr 2003, 19:51:43 »
Guys I think this could be possible and add a new dimension to ofp.

In real infantry fighting the casualty rates tend to always be higher than death rates due to all sorts of factors such as

Bullets being designed to cause injuries rather than death such as 5.56mm etc etc.

Shrapnel

etc

My idea is for troops to look dead once hit seriously but have stages so they will die if they do not recieve medical treatment with a certain time.

For example a soldier under my command gets shot and is lifeless but not dead. I have 1 minute to get him a medic before he dies so that the medic can stable his condition. I then have 20mins to get him to a field hospital by whatever means( air casevac, M113 etc)
If this script could do this in a random way so that something like 50-70% of those that would normally be dead would still be classed as alive. Also the normal injuries whereby players/AI can still move would still be there.

ANyone have any comments on wether this is a good idea??
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2003, 19:31:12 by Madmike »

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Re:more injuries idea
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2003, 20:54:43 »
There are a bleeding script. All you have to do is the mission :D.

Madmike

Re:more injuries idea
« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 2003, 19:27:22 »
Thats not the same though. As far as I am aware isnt that just the same as being the standard injured where you can still shoot and move. Im talking about a higher level of injury whereby the casualty cannot move and will die if they donnot recieve treatment.

Stalker

Re:higher level of injury
« Reply #3 on: 04 Apr 2003, 20:28:43 »
I always don't care about AI soldiers 'cos they are useless and most of the die from my own bullets 'cos they run in front of my gun.

Offline benreeper

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2003, 04:41:44 »
That was a totally useless post.  Why comment if you have nothing constructive to say.  As to the question, you are correct, soldiers are usually injured and not killed in war.  It would be nice.

Ben

Madmike

« Reply #5 on: 06 Apr 2003, 12:21:49 »
So anyone want to attemp this or know if it is possible????

Rappy

« Reply #6 on: 06 Apr 2003, 13:25:42 »
well

if a guy dies he is like setdammage 1 anyways.

so you could make a counter for 60 seconds or so while you still have the option to revive or stabilise his condition, which would set him to 0.9 damage for example, as able to move a bit but not stand

then start another counter to count that 10 or 20 mins which is the time to transport him into a field hospital.

several ways to do that, if he's your squad you could still have him mount a jeep manually or telling that through the script like only mount a bmp ambulance and unmount in field hospital and then fix him up slowly.

Might see if I can make it into a nice script later :)

Madmike

« Reply #7 on: 06 Apr 2003, 21:13:32 »
So would that mean that the injured AI soldier would not be able to move? Because thats What Im after, and would this happen in other sqauds as well because as part of the geneva convention PoWs have the right to recieve medical treatment as well.

Rappy

« Reply #8 on: 06 Apr 2003, 23:20:49 »
theoretically he's dead anyways, because any AI that still has a weapon and aint dead will shoot (you can tell him domove stop so he wont move (I believe) but he will still shoot)

Having em dead until some medic will give treatment is the easiest way to simulate heavily wounded folks.
could just add a randomness factor of 1 outta 2 or 5 that the guy survives and is not actually dead

and yah you could make it for all squads easily, only problem would be solving the getting to hospital part (I mean you aint going to drive em all to the hospital I presume ?)

It just all depends on what you are looking for.

If it has to be something continuous and random then the m113 ambulance driver should have a script running on him aswell so if someone gets killed he would drive there and load him on(dont think you can load bodies into vehicles but you could just set him to some other location until he drives to the hospital and then move the guy to the hospital, all via script)

All under theory so far as I have no idea how exactly you would want it to turn out or what it needs to be

Madmike

« Reply #9 on: 07 Apr 2003, 00:04:45 »
Yeh I think Im sorta getting whats in my head out and explained. I dont want the casulty to be able to shoot or move much(not even crawl) because in Real Life I doubt very few people would be able to move when their guts are hanging out or a limb has been ripped apart.

Would the casualty still show up as dead on the end of mission booklet or would it show up as casualty?

I think the usual means for casualty evacuation in most armies is a ride back to a field hopital in a chopper but that isnt always the case as their may be none available or heavy AA fire from the enemy.

If it was possible to have something similar to the support pack where u can choose casevac by radio and then use map click to say the location of the casualty and then u choose how u want him to be taken back via a interface complete with timings such as ETA depending on the vehicle
>chopper
>m113
>truck
>hummer
>jeep
etc

IM gonna be away for a few days now, so if any1 wants to throw in wat they would like or has veiw on how it could work then please feel free to as i believe this could be very dynamic. thanks

tankieboy

« Reply #10 on: 07 Apr 2003, 13:35:59 »
I understand what you are saying but in the ofp engine wouldnt the guy have to move so you could order him to heal @ blah, blah. Is there some medical command I dont know about?

Rappy

« Reply #11 on: 07 Apr 2003, 15:04:14 »
Seems like overcomplicating ofp to me if you want the other side to recieve treatment aswell.

This would be pretty big eventually though cos they would need all their weapons removed and captive behaviour etc

As I dont think a dead guy would be able to get on a vehicle then you could have to simulate that, by having him auto transport to some place on the map when a m113 drives next to him for example, to create an illusion the guy was loaded on.

Then have the m113 drive to the next guy who is "dead", have some counter on it so it cant take infinite amounts of folks, then have it drive to that field hospital and have all those bodies transfered there with setpos.

And there heal em.

No idea if it would be a casuality in mission stats either, would have to try later.

generally the script wouldnt be hard, just complicated and quite long

tankieboy

« Reply #12 on: 07 Apr 2003, 15:10:41 »
Very nice idea, a little to complex in reality.

GodHatesUsAll

« Reply #13 on: 18 Apr 2003, 10:21:54 »
Trigger Condition: (Guy1 GetDammage >0)
Trigger Activation: [] exec "Guy1.sqs"

Script Guy1.sqs:

Guy1 setcaptive true; RemoveAllAmmo Guy1 (im guessing that is a command)

See how the ammo is removed, therefor he cannot shoot. Then when he is healed you can have:

Guy1 addmagazine "blah blah" etc...

It can be done. If i was making the mission, or if the mission i am currently working on needed such a function, id find a way of doing it, no matter how long it took, because it is a VERY good idea.