Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A couple of questions.  (Read 428 times)

Echo5Hotel

A couple of questions.
« on: 07 Feb 2003, 04:21:26 »
I have a couple of general questions here.

First, Do the hellfire missiles actually home in on a laser designator used on the ground?  Such as a soldier painting a target and an apache lobbing hellfires at a stand off distance without a lock on?

Second, can someone point me to a specific tutorial or information on how to create the paa file for the mission overview file?

Echo5Hotel

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:A couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: 07 Feb 2003, 10:05:52 »
1)   Laser guided missiles are a thorny and regular topic and not one of my specialities.   Search the FAQ and the forum - its come up before.

2)    Ed Depot - Tutorials - OFP File Formats - "How to put JPGs in your Briefings and Overviews" by Fishion.

You  may need a special programme to take the screenshot:  I use Hypersnap DX4, only because you can download it free from the net.     Microsoft photo editor or a whole bunch of other things can be used to edit the picture once you have it.

You can get a .jpg -> .paa converter from the official websites.   However, there is no point because the .paa is a larger file with no increase in quality (that I can see) and the .paa format can't be read by lots of programmes.  Stick with jpegs.

If you can't be bothered to make a border, copy the one in Tutorials - Getting Started - "Tutorial Mission"

Edit the picture to the size (in pixels) that you want.   When you save it however, there are rules on what dimensions it can be - Fishion will explain.     In the Overview file though, you can make it any size you want again.     In other words the save file can be distorted, in order to make the picture look perfect in the actual Overview.

For example:   (the numbers here are just made up)

Create pic  97x41
Distort it so you can save it as 64x32
The html code in Overview.htm says its 97x41 so as if by magic its ok again.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Echo5Hotel

« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2003, 05:23:23 »
Hey Macguba,

Thanks for the info. I followed the tutorial to the letter but my graphic will not show up in the overview, just the text.  Do I have to put the graphic in any special place?  I tried it with the graphic in the specific mission directory, I tried putting it in the "overview" directory that magically appeared in there as well.  Man am I confused as to why this won't work.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 08 Feb 2003, 12:37:04 »
That's a bore ..... all I can suggest is that you try to replicate the Tutorial Mission.   The overview pic can go anywhere as long as you have the right path in the Overview.htm file.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play