Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: FSM and setUnitPosWeak  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
FSM and setUnitPosWeak
« on: 12 Jun 2007, 18:15:31 »
Ok, so FSM only will override AI behaviour until they are in combat, so doesn't this make the setUnitPosWeak command useless for static FSMs? COMREF states it only works in FSMs.
urp!

Offline CrashDome

• Members
Re: FSM and setUnitPosWeak
« Reply #1 on: 14 Jun 2007, 06:03:16 »
The first part of your statement is not necessarily true. In our initial tests it would have seemed that way, but just before release (on v1.07) I personally noticed something different when running a vanilla FSM (just hints - no actions). It seems the FSM was running during combat. It would seem that combat itself simply prioritizes against specific commands, but you can still run FSMs during combat. My guess would be because our tests used the moveTo command. It did not make the tuttorial because Rune wanted to see it for himself and did not want to include it. It will probably make the next version.
« Last Edit: 14 Jun 2007, 06:07:58 by CrashDome »

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2007, 15:48:38 »
Is moveTo exclusively an FSM command? Both moveToCompleted and moveToFailed still work outside an FSM, but moveTo seems to do nothing (pre-1.07. Awkward stage at the moment. I am not upgrading to 1.08 until the 1.08 server is released).
urp!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2007, 17:20:19 »
1.08 server is included in the 1.08 update.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2007, 00:12:10 »
Is moveTo exclusively an FSM command? Both moveToCompleted and moveToFailed still work outside an FSM, but moveTo seems to do nothing

My tests are the same. I am guessing that moveTo outside the context of an FSM doesn't have enough weight. By that, I mean it is low-level and priority may be that other behaviors are overriding it. Once an FSm in engaged, I think it clears the behaviors and runs the FSM. Anything after can override the FSM (including another FSM) but the context is clear enough that moveTo actually means something to the unit.

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2007, 00:23:31 »
Urp! I guess I have a different notion of what low-level is. To me low-level means the primitives from which more complex commands are fashioned, but here low-level refers to priority. Perhaps the wiki and COMREF required a little rewording.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2007, 16:42:37 by Mr.Peanut »
urp!

Offline CrashDome

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jun 2007, 16:40:23 »
I agree. Those words confused me also until I saw a discussion from Suma.

Offline nettrucker

• Members
  • Too young to die-OFP Campaign by TOY & nettrucker
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jun 2007, 18:57:00 »
Hello

Where can I find some more example of FSM scripts. I read Rune's tutorial, but it's giving me a hard time to understand what are the real potentials of FSM In ArmA. decrypted some of BIS missions no FSM script found so far. I understand you can do some pretty good random troop movement. I guess the opposite is also possible split up groups and move single AI to a precise defined target position. What else can I do? Can someone give me some more input?
Thanks for replying.
regards
nettrucker :)

Offline Mr.Peanut

• Former Staff
  • urp!
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jun 2007, 20:10:12 »
Search BI forums for "FSM". There is at least one example there. Aren't there some examples included in the SOW tutorial?
urp!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jun 2007, 23:02:32 »
You can find 4 .fsm scripts in the characters.pbo.

Specifically: characters\scripts.

There is also an example in the missions\armory

Planck

I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline nettrucker

• Members
  • Too young to die-OFP Campaign by TOY & nettrucker
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jun 2007, 00:32:09 »
Yeah I already read the thread on Bi Forums and I read Rune's tutorial. But due to the fact that I'm not a native english tongue I'm in difficulty . . . to be honest I'm confused. I must admit. that I have only basic knowledge of scripting. I'm using mostly codesnippets in waypoints, triggers and so on. I can't code and therefore it's hard for me to understand.. i try to figure out a way to let every single unit of a group advance but taking cover behind anything that's in their way. Since combat action in my mission has poor possibilities for cover. I guess that FSM scripts are mostly used for AI enhancement. Well I guess I gonna learn first and then experiment a lot.
Anyway thanks to all you guys sharing the info for the community. This is all exciting and very interesting..
Chers
nettrucker
« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2007, 14:06:27 by nettrucker »