Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hi, and can I get some feedback on...  (Read 944 times)

Corben Dallas

Hi, and can I get some feedback on...
« on: 07 Jun 2005, 17:23:56 »
Hi all - really great forum and site.

I've been playing OFP 1.46 for a few weeks (but don't like Resistance as it dumbs down my 2.8ghz laptop. I binned the CD is was so bad). So, I'm sticking with 1.46 as though it may lack some goodies, it runs ok (apart from the odd sudden lag, but I'm still trying to find the answer to that one).

So, some noob questions I'm afraid, as I just don't get some of the tutorials.

Firstly, can someone explain in very simple English how I check if my player is dead and end the mission, and how I check if two other targets I have to kill are dead and end it differently? I'm sorry to ask this. I've read tons of posts and tutorials, but there's something I'm just not getting. Call it the sun, or the bottle of Southern Comfort next to my laptop, but I just can't grasp this at all. I can understand that triggers fire when you walk into an area defined by one, etc., but don't get the 'death' triggers at all. Is OFP checking triggers all the time? Doesn't that cause lag? How do I set-up me/them death triggers? Arrgh!

Second, I've managed to make a pretty neat mission, featuring a couple of assassins and a lot of Secret Service guys. I've played it to death for days, and it is good, but needs polishing with intro's, outro's, etc. I'm having trouble making patrols move in a loop from A-B, B-C, C-A, and again, can't grasp the tutorials. Waypoints don't do it, unless I'm setting them up wrong? (I think my brain is waiting for death or cryogenic freezing, or something).

Also, I find adding cool music and effects lifts even a simple misson into "Oooh, exciting!", and am using some music from The Matrix. Going on from that, has anyone done a Matrix character mod, or is it easy to do? Can you make characters jump and kick, sommersault whilst shooting, etc? There's a neat FBI and SWAT character addon, and I think it'd be great to have a whole bunch of them against the Matrix team (but only if Trinity has that neat little bottom and shiny leather gear...) Bullet-time cut-scenes can be done by scripts, as I understand it.

I'm building a difficult but bloody cool mission with some characters that'll make you grin, but I need some help with the basics if you can forgive an editing and scripting noob who's better at the creative stuff.

Many thanks guys.
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2005, 19:06:36 by Corben Dallas »

Offline 456820

• Contributing Member
Re:Hi, and can I get some feedback on...
« Reply #1 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:19:23 »
okay question
1. this is rather simple
Code: [Select]
not (alive player) in a triggers condition field and change it to end#1and for the other people to make it end differently use
Code: [Select]
not (alive unit_name) and not (alive unit_name) etc etc in the triggers condition field then switch it to end#2
also remember dont name the player , player becuase ofp reconises by player the person your playing but for the second bit you must name the units what you want changeing that line to what you wnat
Not - you can copy and paste that as many times you want for how ever amount of units

erm if you want the intro and outro thing then head over to the editors depot and read
snYpirs intro to camera scripting then read [urlhttp://www.ofpec.com/editors/browse.php?browseon=&browsewhat=-1&category=-1&subcategory=-1_&numreturn=25&displayformat=0&ofpv=1&searchstring=messiah&searchwhat=4&searchlevel=1&searchopts=]messiahs camera.sqs tut the first link[/url] you must read them in that order.
and the second part
patrols either download a script from the ed depot or use cycle waypoints make a patrol give them how ever many waypoints then on the last one give it a cycle waypoint will make them repeat all waypoint for ever.

3. okay i was wrong. sorry

anyway hope this helps
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2005, 18:23:41 by 456820 »

Offline Gogs

• Contributing Member
  • WWIIEC - Gracefully retired boss
Re:Hi, and can I get some feedback on...
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2005, 18:21:22 »
Nothing very hard there....

I've been playing OFP 1.46 for a few weeks (but don't like Resistance as it dumbs down my 2.8ghz laptop. I binned the CD is was so bad). So, I'm sticking with 1.46 as though it may lack some goodies, it runs ok (apart from the odd sudden lag, but I'm still trying to find the answer to that one).

You want to get seriously into mission editing, Resistance is the way to go. Its not just that virtually all the new community addons require it, its that a lot of scripting commands only work with resistance, which will make it hard to have a truly advanced mission on 1.46.

I can understand that triggers fire when you walk into an area defined by one, etc., but don't get the 'death' triggers at all. Is OFP checking triggers all the time? Doesn't that cause lag? How do I set-up me/them death triggers? Arrgh!

OK, all you need to do is create a trigger. Where it says "Condition" instead of "This," which is asking it to refer to all the malarkey above, put in

not(alive Nameofunit)

And that will fire the trigger when the unit called Nameofunit is dead. You get the idea....

I'm having trouble making patrols move in a loop from A-B, B-C, C-A, and again, can't grasp the tutorials. Waypoints don't do it, unless I'm setting them up wrong? (I think my brain is waiting for death or cryogenic freezing, or something).

OK, check out a waypoint when you place it. Where it says "Type," and is defaulted to "Move" change it to cycle. Then the unit will go to the previous waypoint nearest to it. So you have A-B, B-C, C-A as you said, but place a D near to A of type "Cycle" and they should be marching in circles till you get bored and shoot them.

Also, I find adding cool music and effects lifts even a simple misson into "Oooh, exciting!", and am using some music from The Matrix. Going on from that, has anyone done a Matrix character mod, or is it easy to do? Can you make characters jump and kick, sommersault whilst shooting, etc? There's a neat FBI and SWAT character addon, and I think it'd be great to have a whole bunch of them against the Matrix team (but only if Trinity has that neat little bottom and shiny leather gear...) Bullet-time cut-scenes can be done by scripts, as I understand it.

Yep, there is a matrix mod, I believe, although I don't know if they've got very far.  Try these sites
http://www.freewebs.com/thematrixmod/
http://tmm.nabaza.org/matrix/index.html

Finally, welcome to the community! Its always nice to see new members so long after the game was released. I hope you have fun, and happy editing!

EDIT: I'm now aware I look silly. 456 leapt in there while I was typing... ;)
« Last Edit: 07 Jun 2005, 18:22:41 by Gogs »