Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Crushed  (Read 14658 times)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
Re:Crushed under our tracks.
« Reply #60 on: 01 May 2005, 04:28:17 »
>AA

I mentioned an ammo box *only* because the first version of this game, i crawled to an AA guy only to find the thing used and no chance, my part to fix that. If you've covered it in other ways, that's fine too.

wouldn't have tons of troops just sitting there after an attack.

this is the point where you, the author, are changing from getting a mission to just work, to work properly by developing themes. The basics are put to bed (and they're never 'basic'), and now you have the opportunity to sit back and look at the theme and storyline.

Ridiculous, isnt it, that we bring down hell and firestorm to a town with enemy just waiting a few poetic meters away.

But, you can change that by ambushing us BEFORE we get to the town. As in, well yes, all our nicely laid plans suddenly go splat.

You could, then, add a counter attack from a very long way away, eg, it would 'make sense' that even though we survived the ambush, and even though, we took over town, THEN of course, these other buggers are on their way.

You'll never finsih this btw. Once good foundations have been put in, as they have been, there's always extra bits. A uaz racing out of town to alert the garrison 2 kms away, an Apache stopping T80's before they even get there.....

The central theme was the use, by the player, of this new toy. You haven't quite got that part of the foundation right with ejecting scripts. Ejecting scripts aren't evil, they just haven't been modified by you for all situations.
Just say no to bugz

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #61 on: 11 May 2005, 20:06:17 »
OK, I have made hopefully one of the last updates.
AA launchers added to ammo crates in the city, BMP added to counter attack.
Counter attack changed slightly so it has a small break
I managed the radio trick so there are no other radio messages interupting the important ones after capturing the city.
Stopping at O.P
The eject problem has been solved, but the leader still likes to tell you to get out.  :-[
Some other stuff  ;)

Anyway, I'm not sure I should add much more. Theres quite a bit in it already, and I was hoping to release it and get it review before this comes out:
http://ofp.gamezone.cz/index.php?showthis=8269

So, same link as before. Hopefully 1 more beta tester can give this the final test  :thumbsup:
(if I had a muffin for every time i've said that on this topic, i'd have about 3 muffins)

Thanks

http://www.freewebs.com/gregneath/crushed.eden.zip
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

ProudPotter2490

« Reply #62 on: 12 May 2005, 21:33:21 »
Hey!
Outstanding mission Greg147! I have just 3 suggestions for you. For starters: after the first town was alledgidly clear my squad wouldn't move. "Strange", I though. Until I saw that T72 that was disabled, I was planning on getting the marshmellows out! So I had to get out, find an RPG, kill the tank, chase my M1A1 up to the command post in order to board it again. I think this is down to the 'east not present' trigger, not sure though :)!

Sound would also be nice in this mission. I didn't really bother reading the text. It'd be more interesting if the radio chatter was in BLOCK CAPITALS LIKE THIS just like in the old BIS missions :)!

Even though I defeated the mission on the first attempt I would be bugged by having to watch that 'zoom in' scene. A simple 'saveGame' trigger is in order here!

Otherwise, it'll be a great mission! Probibally earning in the region of a 6 to 7! Good job :)!
ProudPotter2490 :afro:

PS: Here are my stats, just in case you want them :)!
Score:-
6200 - 4 'Pearls'.

Time:-
11 minutes.

Kills:-
T72
2x Officer
5x RPG Soldier
3x Machine Gunner
Grenadier
6x Soldier
2x Crew
« Last Edit: 12 May 2005, 21:34:58 by ProudPotter2490 »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #63 on: 12 May 2005, 21:44:54 »
Thanks for the review  ;D

I will change the radio messages to capitals.  ;)

I'm not sure about the problem at the first town. You're the first who's noticed that. I'll see what I can do about it though  8)

Which 'zoom in' scene did you mean? The one right at the beginning? If so, I may get rid of that, and just have a black in scene.
RAAB

ProudPotter2490

« Reply #64 on: 15 May 2005, 16:01:55 »
Hey Greg127!
Lol. The 'first town' problem can be cleared up with a simple '(count units thisGrp == 0)' trigger :).

Lol. Well I am pretty funny when it comes to radio messages with capitals... Don't ask, i'm a little weird ::)! If you add sound it'll be great too. You don't even need a microphone. Just use some text-to-speech programs. "Robot-sound is better than none" I always say :)! Not sure about everyone else though ;)!

The one right at the beginning?
Yep! That's the one ;D. Just add a saveGame trigger and it'll be great. It'd be nice to see some saveGames scattered about the mission too :)!
ProudPotter2490 :afro:

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #65 on: 15 May 2005, 16:53:15 »
Ok, i'll get onto it later. Been busy with other stuff recently, so I havn't had a change to work on the mission  ;)

@the idea of voices
I do have a text-voice program on my computer, but I was wondering wheither to use it or not. I guess it would be good.

I would buy a microphone and use my own voice, but a 15 year old Brit doesn't sound like a 30 year old American tanker  ;D
RAAB

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #66 on: 16 May 2005, 01:23:58 »
>I do have a text-voice program on my computer

name please. It will go in the information vault.

>but a 15 year old Brit doesn't sound like a 30 year old American

all the more reason to give it a go.

play, play, experiment and twiddle. above all, have fun.

Just say no to bugz

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #67 on: 16 May 2005, 07:00:19 »
>I do have a text-voice program on my computer

name please. It will go in the information vault.

Well, I found out it got uninstalled from my computer. As you can see on the page, it was only a 30 day trial (although I didn't know that at the time  ;) )

Anyway, here it is
Visual Text To Speech MP3
http://www.visual-mp3.com/text-to-speech/download.html
RAAB

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #68 on: 19 May 2005, 17:36:36 »
OK, new and hopefully last version.  ;D

Radio messages have been changed to capitals
Begining cutscene changed.

As these are only very minor details, i'm not sure this need that much testing. But if you want to, feel free to  ;D

I'll put it on the missions dept later this week if all is OK  ;)

http://www.freewebs.com/gregneath/crushed.eden.zip
RAAB

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #69 on: 20 May 2005, 03:42:33 »
this mission, this version, is now also available at

http://andrew.nf/OFP/Missions

for people unable to get it from freewebs
Just say no to bugz

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
« Reply #70 on: 20 May 2005, 07:54:22 »
Thanks Mikero  ;D

Edit: This mission has been reviewed and is available, with required addons, from the Missions Depot.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2009, 23:42:19 by Walter_E_Kurtz »
RAAB