Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Help with Description file  (Read 862 times)

Monkey6014

Help with Description file
« on: 09 Oct 2002, 05:09:08 »
Yes, I've read the tutorials, but they haven't helped me very much. My mission is still the in .sqm format, and basically all I want is radio messages and to give my people names. Now, my theory is that I have to create this file just as I create .sqs files for scripting.
Now, I want "base" to come over the radio and say "Good work" or something like that. I'm lead to believe I have to define radio messages in the Description file. I would also like to give custom names to my squad in order to make a better flowing story.
I've used the sideradio command to try to get text in that radio like format...but like I said before, I'm guessing that the radio messages have to be predefined, unlike the Title Text or the Hint messages.
Help would be greatly appreciated  ;D
Ps. I know that you all are quite experienced in these fields, though I know a good deal about scripiting and the like, it would love it if you explained it as if i knew nother.

seanver

Re:Help with Description file
« Reply #1 on: 09 Oct 2002, 12:51:45 »
About the radio messages, you have to put: [West,"Base"] sidechat "message". In Resistance, base will show "papa bear". If you want to define them, I think that you have to modify some of the original files.

Now about the names. You need to create the description.ext file.

class CfgIdentities
{
Identities[] = {};

class Hinojosa
{
name = "Adam Cobacho";
face = "face27";
glasses = "none";
speaker="Adam";
pitch = 1.00;
};
};

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 09 Oct 2002, 19:12:17 »
If you just want some text to come up on the left of the screen then the message does not have to be predefined - it works just like hint

anyNamedUnit sidechat "this radio thing is really easy"

or if you want it to be "base" just do what SeAnVeR said.   If you want actual speech thats a whole different ball game.

If you want a good basic description.ext to copy head over to the beta testing depot and download my tutorial mission.   It isn't finished yet but it works and if you pick up the open files version you can use the description.ext as a template for your own mission.     It has radio text too (though no speech) so that might help as well.

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=23;action=display;threadid=2256

PS - no bother pal, that's a totally reasonable question.    :)
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2002, 19:15:40 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Monkey6014

« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2002, 23:19:29 »
Thanks everyone, i've started to get this description stuff down...
I'll have my first official mission done soon.
Thanks much  ;D