Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: more sky effectz  (Read 1445 times)

Dubieman

more sky effectz
« on: 03 Mar 2005, 05:31:36 »
I'm seeing more sky effects nowadays...

And all look good in the daytime, but what about night effects?

We could have comets(flaming vehicles...), weird stuff(glowing, light pollution, aurora borielis etc), and any other night effects anyone can think of.

Maybe the little bugs that make light...damn what's there name...they make a little dot of light. Anyways stuff like that...

Whadda you think?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Re:more sky effectz
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2005, 09:03:07 »
I think fire-flies are an excellent idea and would look very cool. Kegety included a northern lights script with his Winter Nogojev island, I believe. As for the rest of it... well... I dunno if they would be common or noticable enough to script. I know someone released a hi-res night sky that included the real positions of the stars (apparently the normal OFP stars aren't accurate), which would be about the most useful/best night improvement I could think of, since it lets you then navigate via the stars.

Personally I think the best "sky" type effect that could be added would be birds. I know there are some seagull flock scripts out there, but I'd like to see more bird types, as well as having things like flocks of birds taking to the sky when shooting breaks out.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2005, 15:20:54 »
I know someone released a hi-res night sky that included the real positions of the stars (apparently the normal OFP stars aren't accurate), which would be about the most useful/best night improvement I could think of, since it lets you then navigate via the stars.

Wasn't that one of OFPs selling punchlines? Navigate with the help of the stars? :hmm:

I like the firefly idea.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

US-Marine

« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2005, 17:24:42 »
Yes , it was already by CWC with the real position of Stars , where you have to follow the stars ;) where you shot down with your A10  :D

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #5 on: 03 Mar 2005, 20:15:54 »
I might have been dreaming but, I could have sworn I saw a meteorite once whilst playing OFP when it first came out.

It was night and the sky was crystal clear, but as I said I might have been dreaming it.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #6 on: 03 Mar 2005, 20:59:31 »
Its all possible, infact kegetys winter nogojev came with an aurora borielis script, you should look into it.

Dubieman

« Reply #7 on: 03 Mar 2005, 21:53:58 »
I prolly would of seen it if winter nogojev wasn't bigger in size than winter kolgujev... ::) :)

In fact I'd like to see the bird thing too. Have different types other than those ugly seagulls. A few grenades or rustle the wrong branch and whoossh and away the birdies go...
(brings back memories of MGS2 when I shot down 35 birdies...:tomato:)

I might have been dreaming but, I could have sworn I saw a meteorite once whilst playing OFP when it first came out.

It was night and the sky was crystal clear, but as I said I might have been dreaming it.

Planck

Are you sure you weren't under the influence of something? :D

Coldfire

« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2005, 01:51:36 »
Are you sure you weren't under the influence of something? :D
...and if so, where did you get it and my I have some? lol

Seriously though... I like the bird Idea... but it seems pretty hard to implement.

Also, about the shooting stars: Wouldn't any "Flaming vehicles" like you suggested be too high to see in game?

Dubieman

« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2005, 03:30:25 »
Well you could mess around with flaming vehicles, but manipulating the stars in the game's internals or something like that would look better and could actually be seen. :P

Kyle Sarnik

« Reply #10 on: 05 Mar 2005, 05:10:21 »
I think the best way to do it would be using the drop command or something, a single particle that moves across the sky or something similar, after all its not a complicated effect.