Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: urban fighting  (Read 612 times)

nmanjar

urban fighting
« on: 22 Feb 2005, 05:43:50 »
Well, this doesn't neccesarily just have to pertain to Ubran fighting but its what I want it for mostly.

by default AI units will go prone if they feel threatend[ most the time], but this ahs probably been asked many times before

I want to keep a guy standing by a window firing away at you, or behind walls etc....

and then how do I get a guy into the 2nd floor of a 4 story building

simple stuff I suppose, but I dont know how

thanks

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
Re:urban fighting
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2005, 06:47:21 »
I'm working on an urbanfight mission and I can say it's well worth to play. :)
I'm using a new coverscript I've wrote. It's a mix my own ICP animscripts (see my sig) and Zayfods AI_coverscript. This time iI use Sanctuary's Anim replacement :), but it works without it too.
I will release it when I'm completly satisfied.

They crouch behind obstacles, but you still have to place them by yourself in the editor. But they are fun to fight against.(and damn hard to kill sometimes).
They are able to move again in some situations (wounded, fleeing).

I want to post a beta in the missions Beta test board, but then I read the rules and I saw that the mission MUST have a briefing and overview... Well I'm not that far yet. I hate writing briefings...

There are few good coverscripts on this site, I remember:

- General Barron simple AI cover in the editor depot
- Zayfods AI_cover_and_hold somewhere in the betatesting board (1 and a half year ago?)
- And my own trench & fixed positions scripts offcourse :)

« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2005, 06:48:54 by Blanco »
Search or search or search before you ask.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2005, 11:14:12 »
Blanco, all you need for the briefing and overview is one line of text just saying what the mission is about.   It's merely so that the player will know which mission it is and what he is supposed to do when he comes to play it.      Its very confusing if you have two or three missions with no overview.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2005, 14:14:10 »
1)
I want to keep a guy standing by a window firing away at you, or behind walls etc....
To keep him standing, put this in the man's init field:
Code: [Select]
this setunitpos "UP";
2)
how do I get a guy into the 2nd floor of a 4 story building
Also put this in the man's init field:
Code: [Select]
this setpos [(getpos this select 0), (getpos this select 1), height]The two "(getpos this select #)" puts the man at his current position in the x and y axis, relative to his direction.  Don't mess with this.  The "height" is the height you want the man at.  You will have to play around with this value, but some number from 3 to 5 usually work for the second story, and 9 to 12 will probably work for the fourth story.

PrejudiceSucks

« Reply #4 on: 22 Feb 2005, 14:21:54 »
And with some buildings, if you move 'to the centre' of them with an AI soldier, there are a list of positions to choose. Try them all out to sort it out very easily.

Offline ACF

• Members
  • Llama?? Ain't that French for tanks?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Feb 2005, 14:33:00 »
As already said, SetUnitPos is half the battle.  The other half is the command BuildingPos:

http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=17461

Just remember to subtract 1 from the position number that's displayed in the game.

Do a search on BuildingPos and you'll find loads of other threads.

Sterling Silver

« Reply #6 on: 22 Feb 2005, 17:06:50 »
If you want a unit to stay at a position you can use :

Unit DisableAi "Move"

Where "Unit" is the name given. Be aware however that you cannot re-enable the "move" part of the ai so once done that unit cannot move again.The unit will however rotate on its position and so can engage front or back no problem.  This is useful for units that you want to defend a position to the bitter end.

nmanjar

« Reply #7 on: 22 Feb 2005, 21:36:04 »
thanks all thats exactly what i was looking for, i sort of already new how to on some, but yeah....