Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Good WW2-addons?  (Read 1565 times)

Karik

Good WW2-addons?
« on: 26 Oct 2004, 17:43:56 »
Is there any good WW2-addons available? I have tried few but they are not realistic enough. If you have to shoot with M1 Carbine 4-5 direct hits before man die there is something wrong in effiency of that weapon. Or if US-soldiers doesnt have anything that can destroy a German tank it isnt realistic.

I know superioty of German tanks and AT-weapons, but still I think that they are out of balance. Anyone knows if there are balanced addons?

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:Good WW2-addons?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2004, 18:58:31 »
This question has been asked many a times before, maybe use the search function next time  ;)

But anyway for top notch brilliant WW2 addons goto WWIIEC's website  :)

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~ww2ec

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2004, 22:05:41 »
Erm, albeit a huge (600mb, and then theres a 200mb ish objects pack)
The WW2 mod, version3 (I think)
It's amazing :D
Well worth the download :)
- Ben

Dubieman

« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2004, 22:10:35 »
I find the I44 mod to be fine. If that's what you're talkin about.

though its a demo, I can't wait to see more american stuff.
But look at the addons place at opflashpoint.org and look for a m3-34 Sherman. The name isn't exact but its a good addon from WWIIEC.

I do agree, those damn Tigers! Bazookas take at least 4 or more shots to do something to it. By then you've been blasted by its 88...

Though the Americans do get more accurate and faster firing weapons than the german troops.

M1Garand to KAR98k
Thompson to MP40  MP40 has a big recoil....

But nothing is perfect. :P

bigdog632

« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2004, 23:10:43 »
german tanks armor was if im not mistaken superior to most of the US armor

the US used tactics and massive numbers to equalize it
unfortunately using those together would prollley drag your game to a crawl

Karik

« Reply #5 on: 27 Oct 2004, 01:15:43 »

But anyway for top notch brilliant WW2 addons goto WWIIEC's website  :)

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~ww2ec

sim

Ok, I will try that. Maybe if I get all addons from same maker they are balanced right. Thanks. :)

Karik

« Reply #6 on: 27 Oct 2004, 01:23:06 »
german tanks armor was if im not mistaken superior to most of the US armor

the US used tactics and massive numbers to equalize it
unfortunately using those together would prollley drag your game to a crawl

Yes, thats true. Allied noticed that statistically they needed 5 tanks to destroy one german panzer, and of those 5 tanks 3-4 would be destroyed. That ratio was almost same in infantry; after D-Day Germans lost about 90 000 men, and allied casualties were 230 000.

Anyway, US-bazooka should be able to destroy Panzer IV. The bazooka that was in I44 didnt take out panzers I found (I mean IV's), so it was unrealistic. Against the tiger that was in I44-mod I believe it is quite right balanced. Also Shermans found by other makers were too weak against PanzerIV.

I will try that link posted before, hopefully they have "realistic" units. Thanks to all who responded.

Dubieman

« Reply #7 on: 27 Oct 2004, 02:22:38 »
I always wondered about what the Allies used for heavy engagements with tigers, like in the I44 mod?

Shermans? Seemed pretty weak. I heard about M1 Tank destroyers or somethnig....

By the way, the sherman I was talkin about was the WWIIEC one.

I found another called a MP Sherman. It was a piece of crap. Someone tweaked the T72 model, textured it diff with about 5 min in paintshop, and added some 105 or 73 weapon for the main gun...
 :P :P :(

I'm now finding so much WWII stuff that it would be hard to get ppl to download it all. Like my mission for beta testing. Its been slow. :P

Karik

« Reply #8 on: 27 Oct 2004, 03:40:09 »
I always wondered about what the Allies used for heavy engagements with tigers, like in the I44 mod?

Shermans? Seemed pretty weak. I heard about M1 Tank destroyers or somethnig....

I think that most of German heavy tanks were destroyed by allied airforces (or in some cases in close combat, firing at close range.) Also people have to remember that Tiger and Panther suffered many technical difficulties. For example; when Panthers entered battle first time, most of them didnt even get tot the battle field because of breakdowns (Gearbox, suspension and transmission). And also it is good to remember that manufacturing numbers were small.

"To destroy a Panther, a tank destroyer with a three inch (Gun Motor Carriage M10) or 76mm gun (Gun Motor Carriage M18 Hellcat) would have to aim for the side or rear of the turret, the opening through which the hull-mounted machine gun projected, or for the underside of the gun shield (mantlet)." - U.S. Army report prior to September of 1944.

"...the Pz Kpfw VI with its heavy armour, dual purpose armament and fighting ability was basically an excellent tank, and, constituted a considerable advance on any allied tank..." - British Report from 1943 based on a study of Tiger I captured in Tunisia. (with full tropical air filter 'Feifel' system - November 1942 to August 1943)

"It is suggested to the Red Army to use such German tanks as StuG III and Pz IV due to their relability and availability of spare parts. The new German Panther and Tiger can be used until they broken down without trying to repair them. They have bad engines, transmission and suspension." - Department of Weaponry of the Red Army, late 1944.

I once read memoirs of Waffen-SS captain, and according to him if sky was clear there was no way to move vehicles and even the infantry had to hide until dark. Some historians belive that in Battle of the Bulge (German counter attack in the Ardennes) German units were near to wipe out US-units entirely (US-generalt thougt it would be impossible to attack through forest and rough terrain and were not prepared for heavy tanks and crack infantry). It was snowing and situation seemed grim for the G.I. Joes. But eventually sky cleared and after that allied airplanes annihilated German forces.

Back to topic. :) I have a hobby to study WW2 events so I may sometime be distracted from subject. I tried several addons from link before and have to note that finishing and balancing of WW2-addons is far from perfect. Actually I dont even ask them to be perfect, just balanced. ;D Many addons are great, lookin good and working fine but they just dont "work" together. :-\

Dubieman

« Reply #9 on: 27 Oct 2004, 05:47:00 »
Good points. ;)

M18 hellcat, that's what I heard about before...

BTW, I found a very easy way to destroy tigers from the I44 mod. Since you can be in cargo on the tanks engine, you run at it or crawl up it, its a weird clipping thing. But you can stand on the engine area. Get a mine, the weird hopkins mine? Forgot the name... And well place it and it should stay on the engine top. Jump off, run away and detonate it. Even though its a small charge, it hits the tank just right and blows out the engine. THe crew jumps out and it should blow up or maybe that's after two mines it blows up... :-\

Dunno if anyone knew that, but if you're ever stuck in that situation... You know what to do. ;D

bigdog632

« Reply #10 on: 27 Oct 2004, 09:47:22 »
good idea but i never plice long enough the other guys see me i hate 3rd person >:(