Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: get / detect rain  (Read 639 times)

HerrFlick

get / detect rain
« on: 24 Mar 2004, 14:49:23 »
Okay, first off a hello to all since this is my first post :) .

Now for my question, I have used the search, and I did not find anything relevant. What I need is a way to 'detect' rain in the game. Since there is no command like getRain or anything I'm afraid it isn't possible the way I want. I have though of a solution but that would depend on the mission using the setRain command. This however is NOT wat I really want. So, does anyone here know if it is possible at all?

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
Re:get / detect rain
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2004, 17:42:15 »
Welcome to the forum!

The bad news is that I have a feeling you can't detect rain..... I seem to recall you may be able to detect overcase level, which gives an idea if it might be raining, but not rain directly.   If you've figured out a workaround that's probably your best bet.

However I'm not absolutely sure about this, so I'd be delighted if somebody proved me wrong.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

HerrFlick

« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2004, 18:48:07 »
hmm, detecting overcast is good enough for me, if rain can't be detected directly :). If anyone knows how to do that, I'd be very happy.

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2004, 19:31:48 »
I have a feeling you can't do that either  ;D :-\
Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2004, 23:10:56 »
Hmmm ... try reading through the command reference and seeing if anything catches your eye.   It's amazing how many problems you can solve that way.

HerrFlick

« Reply #5 on: 25 Mar 2004, 03:37:36 »
Why don't you show me where exactly you found something in the command reference. I checked the manual before I even opened this topic, and I checked it again now. I have a feeling like Artak that I'm screwed, because I did not see anything in the command reference about getting the current rain or overcast.

I understand you grow tired of UTFS or RTFM questions, but this one ain't in the book.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 25 Mar 2004, 09:30:03 »
I didn't find anything in the comref either.... I may just be vaguely remembering a workaround somebody came up with ..... or I may be flat wrong.   :(   Try the forum search function - sorry I can't be more helpful.

UTFS, RTFM??

PsyWarrior

« Reply #7 on: 31 Mar 2004, 14:14:30 »
Greetings,

Firstly, the forum search is not always completely reliable. You have to be really persistant if you want to find anything.

I can see how this would be useful, though. For instance, with random weather, none of the planes at a specific airport will take off if the weather is bad. Most of that is easy to do, just detecting the weather is bad.

It should be possible to modify a Random Weather script with whatever conditions you want, But i'll need some time to think about it...

-Supreme Commander PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions Studios

HerrFlick

« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2004, 15:42:17 »
Hey, thanks for your replies, and @macguba, UTFS and RTFM are Use The F****** Search and Read The F****** Manual :). I've seen millions of topics with the first reply in this kind of language :). So no offense meant macguba, I was just wondering if I needed new glasses 8).

About the work-around, I think I can let you in on the secret I'm planning ;), my idea was to make automatic windscreen wipers :D. Therefore I would really like to be able to detect rain, as otherwise all mission makers would have to use extra scripts for the addon using it. If it can't be done without connecting it to a random weather script, then that's too bad. I think I can manage to implement that in scripts, my idea is to use the global variable these scripts use.

As for the search, I know it has a interesting way of searching to say the least, but using something like "rain" or "overcast" as searchword was my best bet on this one. Also I checked the forum at flashpoint1985.com, but that didn't turn up anything either. I think there is no way to detect the rain or even overcast, so I guess I'm screwed :-\

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2004, 23:26:02 »
Lol I am not familiar with the acronyms, though, as a regular answerer, I am very familiar with the emotion.    However, as you've probably gathered, your question does not come into this category.

I think you  might be stuffed, sadly - it's a very cool idea.  You may just have to live with manually started ones, which is still pretty cool.

HerrFlick

« Reply #10 on: 02 Apr 2004, 00:41:00 »
Yeah I kinda came to that conclusion too, heh. I just wanted to see if any of the gurus here might have this really cool hidden feature :). But I guess manually operated ones aren't half bad either, maybe with an option to link it to the most common weather scripts or something.
Now all I have to do is create a vehicle to put the damn things on ;)