Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: MMO-OFP  (Read 1470 times)

fragsta

MMO-OFP
« on: 09 Feb 2004, 19:21:24 »
I can't remember where is was, but I saw somewhere that either in OFP 2 or a new version of OFP, MP games that have already started can be joined (mainly just DM games).

So if this is possible, how about one big mission that is based on the CTI missions, except that it either lasts a long time or never ends. Each team actually STARTS with a base, but there is no real commander.

New defences can be build with the repair trucks and stuff, but no new factories can be built. The team's bases are on either side of an island, Nogova for example, and they might have a few pit stops and stuff. Teams would have a meeting tent or something where they plan attacks, and various things like that. An ongoing war, basically. Loads of other things coule be added, for example hospitals in towns, people who take you into their home and let you rest and you can heal there. You get the idea. Any comments or ideas?

Also, let it be known that if anyone does this, some credit should be given to me  :P

thanks!
« Last Edit: 13 Feb 2004, 17:55:02 by fragsta »

Homefry31464

Re:MMO-OFP
« Reply #1 on: 09 Feb 2004, 22:23:13 »
BIS said a long while back they could put this into the game, but it wouldn't be worth the trouble, but if you can figure out how, i'd be really interested.

fragsta

« Reply #2 on: 11 Feb 2004, 22:30:37 »
Well I guess we'll see. Any other comments appreciated.

deaddog

« Reply #3 on: 11 Feb 2004, 23:25:42 »
So what does MMO stand for?

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 12 Feb 2004, 00:06:21 »
fragsta,

Fill out your post with the content of what you're talking about.
Simply posting a link to another forum is not good enough.

I have removed said link, and you can modify your first post to actually say something. ::)
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

fragsta

« Reply #5 on: 13 Feb 2004, 17:53:47 »
Fair enough, I'm on it. MMO stands for Massively Multiplayer Online. For example, Everquest is an MMORPG

deaddog

« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2004, 23:22:58 »
Ah, that makes sense (now :) )

I agree.  There should be a way to join MP games already in progress.  Just look at most other online games.  It can be done without any trouble.

This would certainly be good for the times when you lose your connection.  OFP has a bad reputation (at least with me) about its network connection.  Very bad.

fragsta

« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2004, 23:34:35 »
Well, you should be able to re-join or join half way through a game in servers where it's enabled, or something. Not all missions would be good to work with this.

Homefry31464

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2004, 01:19:26 »

Over in another Thread
The reason why its not possible to join a MP game?
On this thread boontje asked , "Could the developers tell us what the reason is why we will not be able to join a MP game which is in progress?"

He responded Thus:

Here is the answer. I am sure you will not like it, but that is how it is:
Something in between, Yes. its possible but we wont implement & yes, its possible but takes to much time to implement.

It would take a lot of time to implement it.
We also do not see it really important. We understand it is very attractive option, but for real tactical team play (in which we think OFP qualities shine best) it is almost useless.
-----
Ondrej Spanel, Lead Programmer

From the Opflash.org news page, on the 191st page.  

deaddog

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2004, 02:11:21 »
That would be ok except for the fact that OFP is extremely crappy at handling network connections.

The option to allow re-connects should be set by the server admin, not the programmers.

Oh well, their game, I suppose but ignoring the wishes of the public is not very smart.

fragsta

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2004, 11:36:19 »
Yes, the fact that OFP is a tactical shooter is it's best quality and good for multiplayer, if you know what I'm getting at. But if there was some way of making a server that is always online have non-stop tactical gaming, that would be fantastic.