Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 217815 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #1155 on: 11 Jul 2005, 21:32:21 »
I have a theory about the Phantom Woman:

She gets in the truck with all the other civis at the first hut.

On arriving at the lodge all the civis (including her) are unassigned from the vehicle.
Then she is deleted, and in desperation I then setPos her to 0,0,0

How about if:
deleting her while she is still in a vehicle (she does not have time to get out before the delete instruction) does not delete her, but does something sufficient to prevent her from being SetPosed?

This is the least implausible theory I have been able to come up with.

Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I have just checked - deleting a unit that is in a vehcile will not delete it, but it does prevent a subsequent setPos from working.  It looks like this is it.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2005, 21:39:14 by THobson »

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1156 on: 11 Jul 2005, 21:43:01 »
IF at the end of the day, all of it means that we get a lone ghost woman in a truck, leave her be. It's fun.

PS, I like groupies.
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2005, 21:44:11 by Mikero »
Just say no to bugz

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #1157 on: 11 Jul 2005, 21:46:45 »
I haven't met the phantom woman in this version yet, I think that was the last version.

I might reload my last save, the one before I finished off Andropov, and zoom up to the lodge to check the truck again.
I did check the cab occasionally during the mission, but I didn't check the back of the truck.

Edit:  She IS in the back of the truck, just sitting there twiddling her thumbs.

Planck
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2005, 00:57:04 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1158 on: 12 Jul 2005, 01:32:19 »
>She IS in the back of the truck

leave her alone you foul beast, she's mine, I found her first.
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1159 on: 12 Jul 2005, 08:11:47 »
Oh no I have got her this time.  The answer is simple.  To get rid of her I simply remove the instruction that deletes her.  Obvious really.  Why didn't you guys think of it and save me all the trouble. ;)
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2005, 08:12:36 by THobson »

Offline tudders

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1160 on: 12 Jul 2005, 15:39:46 »
Just finished my second run through, no cheat saves this time or use of any enemy vehicles.

The non-linear nature of this mission really really impresses me.  It was a completely different game from my first run through so lets all give the designer a pat on the back.

My assaul on Andropov is worthy of a mention.  I had crawled several hundred meters and was just about to start picking them off with an hk when i heard the sound of a tank firing.  Time for a retry i thougt until the shell took out an m2 nest.  By sheer luck i had timed my attack to coincide with stamenovs attack.  So after much sneaking and silent killing all of andropovs troops were down and all but the abrams of stamenovs troops had been repulsed.  Needless to say a quick pistol bullet to andropovs head and a satchel to the abrams was enough to allow me to raise the malden flag at the airport.  Wow, i thought, what a brilliant un-scripted battle.  To cap it off stamenovs cobra decided to turn up and a fantastic cat and mouse chase insued with me desperatley trying to find an aa launcher and diving to the ground whenever it turned for another attack run.

Whats so great about this mission is the way that that was just one of the many battles that went on and i was just lucky enough to witness it.  Andropov's tank assualt was also equally impressive taking the fuel station and nearly reaching chapoi.  This time the tank wrecks were enough to tell me the story - i just wish i had seen it in action.

Just one problem i noticed:

Stamenovs hq took a hit at some stage - probably during the tank assuault i didnt witness - and the building was destroyed.  Which left stamenov running around his base with no weapon but with an 'invincebility suit.'  No matter how many times i shot him he wouldnt die.  Once i had entered the wrecked house to get the 'Please dont shoot' script (or something like that) stamenov then had a pistol and was killable.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1161 on: 12 Jul 2005, 16:00:57 »
@THobson

>To get rid of her I simply

I might have known you'd cut off another marriage proposal before it got started.

@tudders

NO Cheatsaves! Amazing. Totally, amazing.
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1162 on: 12 Jul 2005, 16:58:29 »
tudders:
Thank you for your comments.  I very much appreciate them.
I will need to do something about Stamenov, and his building.  It is on the list.

Mikero:
You will have even fewer marriage opportunities in the next version - I am sure you can guess why.

Offline LukieTee

• Members
« Reply #1163 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:47:08 »
Lo All. Wilst i was playing i lobbed a nade at some troops running past some buildings sadly the nade hit the building and took out 1 of my men. I was wandering if you could say something like "Oh My God what have i done, Im ... Im So Sorry." To make it more belivable. Just a thought keep up the good job guys.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1164 on: 12 Jul 2005, 18:55:43 »
Good idea and it is not difficult to do - it is having the idea that is the difficult bit.  To be believable and not repetative there would need to be several scripts from which one is selected at random, and they may be beyond my voice acting abilities.  

Thinking about it I could include the name of the person killed to add some variety, but I would need to be able to deal with mutiple simultaneous deaths (a vehicle runs over a mine you placed earlier).  I am thinking out loud.  It's on the list to think of further.  Thanks

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1165 on: 12 Jul 2005, 20:58:31 »
Planck:
If I remember correctly you too found Stamenov out of his building and in the compound.  Do you recall if his building was destroyed at the time (see tudder's post above)?

He had a doStop, disableAI"move" and disableAI"target" on him so he should not have moved.  The only way I can get him out in testing is to hit him with a Sabot.  I have now dealt with the situation tudders described (the HQ being destroyed forcing him out), but if he got out of an undamaged building then I will need to think again.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #1166 on: 12 Jul 2005, 21:11:16 »
No, his HQ wasn't destroyed, but it became destroyed when I tried to kill him with a sabot.

This meant I couldn't then enter the building to get the 'don't shoot' message and then shoot him.......the destroyed building wouldn't let me in.

Reload last save time........ ::)

Planck
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2005, 22:26:07 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1167 on: 12 Jul 2005, 22:21:21 »
Bugger.

Wingless_

« Reply #1168 on: 13 Jul 2005, 12:15:38 »
Yo, first of all let me say i am a complete n00b at flashpoint. Having finally succumbed to the pressure from Hauk to buy this d**n game last week i went and bought myself a copy. This is my first beta test and i'm sorry to say THobson that you may have ruined my future beta testing experience completely (LOL). This mission is too bloody good and now will be the benchmark with which i measure all other missions. Hmmm....

Anyway, onto the mission.

Specs:
AMD 2800+, 32mb geforce fx chipset, 512MB RAM,
Benchmark 5112
AMD 2600+, 64mb radeon 320M, 512MB RAM,
Benchmark 3800
(I'm playing between my PC and laptop, transferring the savegame over as i go.)

Overview:
Pretty cool, could do with some re-wording to make it that bit slicker but otherwise good. Oh, and is the background supposed to be black coz i got a kind of dark green.

Breifing:
The voiceover is a nice touch. Briefing really good.

Intro:
Right so this is set in Yorkshire. Hmmmm... maybe not, its just funny seeing a bunch of russians running around with Yorkshire accents.(At least i think its a yorksire one)

Mission:
Land ho! Start on some beach, run, then walk, then crawl up the really big hill in kind of a vaguely SE direction. After a few hours (not really hours, more like long tedious minutes where all i did was press the W key) i make it to the top of the hill. Decide a stealthy approach is necessary so i crawl over to the building with the guards at the windows pop a few bullets in their skulls. Lay still for a minute no-one comes to investigate so i decide to explore the town. Nice touch with the voice when you see the bodies. Grab some ammo off the dead policeman and steal his binocs. I take the AK and the M16 and stick them in the jeep. Grab the other M16. Bugger all ammo, great. I have a look in the building, wehey!, cutscene. Its really well done but the girl's just been raped "No, Please not again" sounds as emotive as "Cleanup on aisle three" actually, there's probably more emotion in the latter. I realise this is just a beta and you'll probably change it later. Tatyana runs out into the street and gets shot. Great, I pop the buggers who killed her :gunman: and stick their guns in the jeep. Right, Patrol here any minute time to get out of Dodge. I hop in the jeep and head out ENE towards the lodge.

HALT!

Cr*p that was scary. I get out of my jeep and there's another cutscene. Everything was cool, except the line where he says "here's his grave" or something to that effect, had no sound. I've noticed in OFP that the sound diminishes relative on where the camera is to the source so if you had the guy talking inside and the camera outside thats probably why i couldn't hear anything. As i've said i'm a complete OFP n00b so I could be totally wrong and you could all be p*ssing yourselves at my expense. Yada yada yada, rescue civis, blah blah blah, onwards!

So after re-arming my squad with some of the nicked assault rifles from my jeep we jump in the truck and head for the first bunch of civis. Half way there i nearly crash into a tree, (i was looking at the map at the time) other than that the trip is completely uneventful. Another cutscene. A bit lost about the whole my father's cabin, this could do with a line or two to explain it in the objective notes but otherwise very good. I grab the civis and cart them all back to the lodge.

I decide to head to the second bunch of civis on foot, after a quick sprint we arrive at the farmhouse(or whatever it is). More cutscenes wehey! Only thing was when the soldier saluted all i could see was the back of his head.

Hmmm... More civis on the other side of 3 eh? Why not.

I head East to pass 3, then turn south. Search the smaller forest, nothing. Then I head further south, blundering around like a geriatric elephant on speed I walk straight into the middle of an enemy patrol. In the space of about twenty seconds i lose #4, #7, #3 and then i get shot.

Bugger.

Gave up there and watched CSI. I've saved just inside the first forest so i'll pick up from there tomorrow (actually this evening as i did all this yesterday and am now writing this in work.)

So far this mission is bloody good. Really atmospheric and slick. The voices ("Lets kill them all together, my friend" is inspired) while emotionless add to the experience and i'm sure the final version will be much improved.

Thats it for now.
Definitely more tomorrow.

-Wingless

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1169 on: 13 Jul 2005, 13:33:37 »
Wingless:

Welcome to OFP.  Thank you for the comments.  So Pavel had his back to you when he saluted?  If it's not one thing it's another.

The 'This is where your uncle lies...' voice is coming from Ruslan and so will be attenuated because he is some distance from the graves.  I thought that was okay, but I suppose I had better make it louder.  I had not realised that for some it could not be heard.

On the voices - That's the best we can do I'm afraid - and it doesn't get better.  

just funny seeing a bunch of russians running around with Yorkshire accents
Well I suppose to them it will all sound like they are talking with regional accents - to us the Yorkshire (yes you are correct) accent is also a regional one, so in context I think it fits - also there is the fact that I have no option anyway.