Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 219317 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #1185 on: 16 Jul 2005, 15:06:47 »
Ditto here on the above comments.........save the next version till after your holidays.

Have a good time on the beach.  8)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline sharkyjoe

• Members
  • Have you taken a BMP out at 500 meters??
« Reply #1186 on: 16 Jul 2005, 21:26:03 »
I play this when the Beta Test are done.
I haven't read all post.
I shot the 1st lady in the house that attempts to run away before the cut scene. The Lose Outro Works Good!!
I have decided to go alone and head south on island, almost had a fuel depot with repair truck. Then Tanks showed up >:(.
Sainte Marie is very ghostly, errire haunted. My advice to players is stay away :o  
Uhumm lets see what other trouble I can cause or get into.
THobson Great Work here. Playing on. :D
Remember the 7 Ps??--- Proper Previous Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1187 on: 17 Jul 2005, 08:42:24 »
Welcome sharkyjoe.

I hope you enjoy it.  I look forward to hearing what you think.

Wingless_

« Reply #1188 on: 18 Jul 2005, 15:57:24 »
Okay, Very little progress since last time. This definitely isn't a mission for beginners especially if you're trying to learn 3d modelling and finish the main campaign at the same time.
Anyway here's my progress since last time.

Picked up after giving a T80 its marching orders. Re-armed my squad with whatever was available from the guys i'd just killed.

I decide to leave Houdan for a bit as the T72 and the Vulcan i just encountered are parked between me and the town. I head for st. louis instead. When we get there we practically run into the bumpers of a couple of jeeps. Luckily whats left in the way of LAWS get launched by 6 & 7 We take cover and start picking off anyone who comes to investigate. Suddenly I'm barraged with multiple contact calls. Lots of trucks and a vulcan or two. I presume this is the La Trinite convoy i've read about so i order my squad to hold fire and we lay low until they pass. No point starting the war yet. After i'm sure they're out of range we head into town to clean up the northron infestation. Hmmm... Several retries later and they're still there. Maybe i'll rethink my strategy although i'd like to have cleared a town at some stage before i move on to houdan.

Probably more soon

-Wingless

PS. Enjoy you're holidays. I hope whatever particular island you're on gets nuked. I'm stuck here in the typical irish rain!!! ARGH!

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1189 on: 19 Jul 2005, 00:44:14 »
@Wingless

>This definitely isn't a mission for beginners

this was the concensus I think many of us came to at V1.1

my estimate was you'd need to have played at the very least 100 missions, but realistically, I reckon that figure is closer to 500. To 'know' about crushed buildings, what Blackops really are, how dangerous a Godzilla really is. M21 vs Dragonov, formations, keeping quiet, God, the list goes on and on.

You could of course wing it as a beginner, but THobson has stretched the engine into every conceivable corner of standard gameplay, a sort of connoseuir's delight. What makes it rich is being able to use techniques you learned from many, different, missions and recalling them, as you play this one.

>Several retries later and they're still there. Maybe i'll rethink my strategy

BWAHAHAHA !!!

>I hope whatever particular island you're on gets nuked

My sentiment exactly. The author is an evil man.

Just say no to bugz

Nosferax

« Reply #1190 on: 19 Jul 2005, 00:45:24 »
An excellent mission worthy of my attention  ;D

I must admit I quickly skipped the briefing (which wasn't so brief) to start the mission.

Finding myself alone, in the rain with a single pistol put all my senses on alert: no Rambo attitude here - must get a real gun quick! I didn' t know what to expect and I like it.

A few times I came close to run into a patrol or a camp - I had to use my map. I wasn' t told every enemy location in the briefing: I like it.

The cutscenes really fit in: short, usefull, well done.

It's obvious this mission will get an OFPEC tag on it. Mission Makers should un-PBO it and use it as an example.

Carry on soldier!

/Nosferax

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #1191 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:19:37 »

Lol.  THobson, you really have a following here ;D

Enjoy your trip

When I come back, finishing this damn mission will be my #1 priority (Gee, as I look back, I realize I still haven't finished any version of this mission).  Hopefully by then, though, I will be able to play the finished version.  Good luck with the mission, THobson!

-Student Pilot

yankme

« Reply #1192 on: 19 Jul 2005, 04:46:54 »
thats what im talkin bout. Hey guys more of a game then a mission. i liked the freedom to roam , the only thing was lag, but i just laid low, cause i knew i started a war beteen them and they where lookin to do some killing. loved it, ill play that again!
lots of work in this mission!!!!!!! thanks for the good time, cheers yankme

Dubieman

« Reply #1193 on: 19 Jul 2005, 07:00:49 »
OMG you ppl are still at it! 80 pages!? :o

Well after finally getting around to downloading this ( 1.00 was 4mb or so, now its 14... :P :)) I'm ready to rejoin the group of testers following you and your mission. ;)

I'll prolly start climbing the cliff tomorrow. From there, I'll be amazed by all the new shiny things that I'm hearing about. :wow: Its still amazing to me how big this thread is...

:cheers:

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1194 on: 19 Jul 2005, 08:24:44 »

Its so nice to be loved.

In terms of progress I have gone backwards several months.  Something quite fundamental has broken.  When each convoy gets to LaT two infantry groups get out.  They do their thing in LaT and they then each reboard their own vehicle and the convoy sets off home.  Simple?  It was actually non-trivial, but I got it working a couple of months before I started this thread and I haven't touched it since.  Now (v1.24) on the southern convoy's 7th (or so) visit to LaT it fails (one of the infantry groups fails to disembark, but its vehicle tries to follow the waypoint of the infantry group it has in cargo).  That's about 10:00 mission time.  I can only assume that so much is going on (I need to check what is happening about that time) that the engine gets confused with the Transport Unload/GetIn GetOut etc. Waypoints and all the synchronization just gets screwed up.  Anyway I am now implementing this using a script and vanilla Move waypoints - so it should be more reliable, but am still hitting a few puzzling features.  Worse than being nuked would be to not get this fixed before I go away.

Nosferax:
Glad you thought it worth your time.  Pity you skipped the Briefing.  It took me hours to make.

Yankme:
Yes lag is a bit of a problem.  It does die down a bit once most of the armour is dead.  That is not a hand off, I am looking at it.

GRK:
Sorry about the size - I have many more sound files, and I have saved them at a higher quality than in v1.00.

« Last Edit: 19 Jul 2005, 09:34:44 by THobson »

Offline wcrvieira

• Former Staff
« Reply #1195 on: 19 Jul 2005, 10:30:20 »
OMG!

This mission is....is....is....speechless!
For the first time in my life I was afraid of fighting in a video game...

I still havent played much (15min) but for now I am really enjoying this!!
The ambience, well simply perfect!
The whole story, intro, dialogues are magnificent!

And I tried playing this with ECP, of course the lag and the heat made my pc reboot but I still had lots of fun... even when alone I poped up many many soldiers running to me... then was running like forrest gump did, without looking back, as I was in Veteran Mode of course I got lost and a bit scared (dunno why though, maybe because the insomnia, late hour of play and playing in the darkness?) when I saw bullets and grenades almost hitting me... that was speechless!

Well now gonna meet some friends (stuff I dont do for months) and tonight until 3am is to play Abandoned Armies...

Cya, and THobson... you're trully an amazing mission editor! congratulations, you beat the game!

NBR Out!

lilwillie_WI

« Reply #1196 on: 19 Jul 2005, 15:24:42 »
V1.23 and uffda. Lack of ammo, lack of site line(did the weather get worse?) Man what a difference when I climb the hill with knowledge ammo is scarce.

Took down Vigny in easy fashion. Contimplated leaving her in the room to see if it triggered something different but decided to play it out.

Then south to La Passagne. Jeep drove to the eastern side. Jumped out and slow crawled down the main road in town. Took down two nasty's and then poped the driver near the jeeps. Stole a weapon and then took down the patrol. Three jeeps threw and let them be.

Off to the cottage. Did notice no voice over for the scene showing the graves. I have had a bit of lag threw this version. Seems choppy at times and I have had nothing new in the PC since V1.21

Other than that I am still on the fence whether I like the lack of ammo. It will change my style of attack. I was going to shift to a offensive style this time around compared to sneak and peak in V1.21 We will wait and see what I can scavenge this time around.

My brother downloaded this version but has run into problems. I imagine on his end. The save game in the radio isn't there and the cheat save won't work.  Any other reports of that? Like I said, I imagine it is with his PC.

yankme

« Reply #1197 on: 19 Jul 2005, 22:28:54 »
THobson hey whens the next one comeing out, ill be waiting ;D hurry up and do it again, i spent about 5 hours just on my intro for the mission iam working on, ''so you know iam just joking,'' i liked the AV's and AP,s but my men didnt seem to be watching what i was doing and steped on them,  well maybe i did!

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1198 on: 20 Jul 2005, 02:16:15 »
>T3 Convoys

the biggest difference I know of around T3 is that you have put roadblocks in the town. Perhaps and maybe? the engine is calculating them into it's waypoint moves?
Just say no to bugz

Dubieman

« Reply #1199 on: 20 Jul 2005, 03:20:09 »
Thobson, I've played into it and I do like what you did with the intro. Much better than previous. Only one gripe, the part where Andropov kills some soldiers after they surrender, the ppl look like they are setdammaged and not shot. I think it'd look better if they were shot.

Got up the hill, from a different angle and found the appropriate house. Its much lighter in this version, more sun I mean, or maybe its my moniter... :P

Popped all the dudes in the house and saw Tatyana killed. The scene was good. I then wiped out the two soldiers and stocked the jeep with weapons and got a bunch of messages when going body to body, what a sick thing to do and so on..., I dunno if it really matters having those in there. I can tell that something bad happened and the civvies are all left about. Plus the explanation later at the lodge seems to take away the right those text/voice messages had to be there. Also I inferred something was off as the dead soldiers were covered and the civvies left in the open. So what I'm getting at, is some of those voice overs about dead civvies are not really needed because the player either 1.) finds out on his/her own what happened or 2.) they find out the whole story at the lodge at some point.

Then back to the story. Drove to La pessagne and found no uber large group of infantry I was expecting to hunt me in Vigny and found a roadblock and one soldier. I did not want to venture into town and play hide and seek in the fog so I shot the guy and drove north. Hit and run I guess, I'm guilty of that. ;)

Found another roadblock and I thought the bus warranted a voice over as there was a lot of death there, but nothing, continue on...

I see another roadblock and 2 jeeps. They get all caught up making a turn and don't see me, stupid on them. I knick the 2nd jeep's gunner and he doesn't die quickly, he turns red and is all happy for about 10 secs then slumps over and out of the vehicle once they take off. I jump into my jeep and give chase. I run down the second jeep and start bumping it and then M2 rounds started headed my way, hell this is going to fun!  ;D
I guess there was a bit of friendly fire as the driver slumped over as I fell back (M2s are nasty jeep killers) and when the jeep stopped I ran over the passenger, but hit his jeep in the process disabling it and fortunatly leaving mine in good condition. So I steal the men's weapons (now have a PK, whoope!) and head to the lodge.

Find the cutscene is good and I load everyone up with good weapons and send them into the lodge. This is my theory, I want to do what XCess did, go on my own (its easier to manage myself and not a bunch of tottering stupid AI unless they are wearing tanks or armor) and leave my mates in the lodge with vehicles blocking any windows or doors. I like going commando. 8)

I then retrieved the civvies and went back to the lodge. Had an odd cutscene as you pulled my team members out of hiding and they were still stuck in their go prone positions as I left them, I suggest a sort of playmove or setunitpos "UP" then make it AUTO once again. Good cutscene.

So I send everyone back into the lodge and 5 real minutes later, after lots of orders, I'm happy with their postion and blockade the lodge and head out on the motorcycle to La Trinte to start some angry feelings meanwhile I wonder how those civvies are doing in their search for wood and I also ponder the usefullness of inspecting Houdan in my current state. I decide to wait and cause the war, hopefully so Stamenov wins or gains the upper hand as I prefer the Southeron base to the Northerons.

I reach La Trinite and run 5m past some soldiers, yikes! I am not spotted and find out about the mines. Cool, but damn, it figures I brought no hand grenades with me and no explosives can be found for AV mines. GRR :'(

I find that no convoy is around and the soldiers I saw must of left so I grab a bizon and sit tight, waiting for a convoy to bring some soldiers so I can pop a few and run my arse off to a house and hide while the idiots blunder about looking meanwhile the other convoy should pull up and the two sides will make each other's aquaintance. I then get a ringside seat as the shit hits the fan and they try to obliterate each other. Like I said before, I'll try to kill more Northerons to help the South, but I want to stay alive first.

As you can see THobson, my evil plan will be realized tomorrow and I will report back to you the results. I myself will be very eager to see this as well I will be proud that I started such destruction in such a short span of time with such little use of my trusty Bizon. I actually may just wait till I see some soldiers and fire an AK or M16 off into the air to get ppl's attention....
What ever works. Muhaaahaaa! :gunman: :afro:

PS I am enjoying this mission more than before and I love your shiny yellow text a lot. :-*

Edit: Also I like your team reorganization menu dialoge. I like it a lot plus the fact you added in those personal touches with each person.

And I'm noticing a bit of slow down in certain areas, not to bad, just a little jumpy. Its still very playable. ;)
The reason I was commenting on your voice overs at the start was the fact that you keep saying your mission is heavy and I feel if you see fit to remove those, it might help lag a bit. Maybe... :P

Oh and comp specs so you know how I'm playing...
1024mb RAM
3.0 ghz processor
128mb graphics card
no ECP
benchmark.... uh never found out what mine was cause I never needed too :P

cheers
GRK
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2005, 03:32:31 by GuiltyRoachKillar »