Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 217599 times)

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #810 on: 15 Jun 2005, 13:53:41 »
Got as far as the second group of civilians in my restart... and I have YuriClone bug too... Luckily he's in the passeger side so  I can still use the truck.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #811 on: 15 Jun 2005, 14:29:35 »
>black screen

this was also reported to you by another player, he suggested you put a map briefing in, wheras I think you did, and didn't. It was 1st cutscene I think, when they're arguing how much damage can be done and how to. Basically during the voiceovers that northrons hold the north southrons the south etc. Seemed like the speech was timed to various, non-existent,  map views.

>I get to LeP much later in the mission.

No sir, you do not. You pass the three people we are all mentioning when you come out of Vigny with the police jeep. it is these three I am referring to as vodka, and yes, 'later in the mission' the southrons who re-occupy it are savage.

(The flashing blue light in 3d view on the jeep is wunderbar)

Also, don't know if you or any have tried it, but using an open truck for travel, you get to see the varying personalities of your team. Irena is constantly fidgeting with rifle, my Russian is stolid, like a statue, and one of the others appears to me permanently chatting (mostly to the medic). Always waving his arms about. It's a marvellous atmospheric.

Finally took on Chapoi after removing their fuel supply. Evidence of big battles throughout. Occaisonal, single trucks destroyed on road to chapoi. Two concentrations of convoy trucks, all vacant, on at fuel station, other one between it and chapoi proper.

I have been SIX HOURS trying to win against Chapoi!!!!

Took a detour to Canton, nice bus wreck btw, 3 loons guarding it, dissapointed couldn't put a flag up. One Godzilla, and one bmp were parked there, twitched and became active after that, rampaging all around Chapoi (not Canton). They never showed their presence until I tickled them in Canton.

One lone apache ultimately parks itself above Chapoi. It only came about 1hour into attack time after I'd reduced much to rubble. Tested this severally, and approx 40 mins after attack, in it comes. I have the impression that the place is swarmed by Southrons coming back from the north if and when troop strength in Chapoi is low. My first go, I eradicated everything pretty much and was just about to finish off the 'evil bastard' when my squad got nailed. I've never been able to get that far into town again, and this, is due to my severe paranoia about losing any of them. A rush attack would work, each time, every time, but with casualties.

The 'mist' is an absolute pain, I have to tell you. It is bordering on dreadful. Ai can always see each other, I cannot. 20 meters is making all the difference. I hope you consider replacing it with rain instead.

Town above Chapoi remains mined. Would be nice if you gave us a way to crawl in and disarm.

I've had enough of the 'evil bastard' and am retreating. Considering the easter egg of 2 savegames I got 'somewhere' <grin>. I'm off to explore a bit more.
Just say no to bugz

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #812 on: 15 Jun 2005, 15:43:55 »
So... me so far... from 2nd group of civilians.
8 ran off with the civs up to mountains, I left 7 with Yuri Clone at the hut, inside the Civil and my my way on foot to Trinite. Stole myself an m21 from the crates and put two standard AT mines on each side of the town, north and south, on the roads. Then I hopped in the ammo truck and drove off.

Then decided it was time to go pick up Rusky, so I jumped in the jeep drove down the hill... and hit a rock  ::)  Proceeded on foot to Dourdan where I knew I could find some transport. On the way I sent 7 to the east side of the forest on hold fire orders to keep watch for the northron convoy.

got to Dourdan and started sooting anyone I saw to clear my way to the truck so i could use it to evac Rusky when I got the report from 7 of a BMP and two truck north of Trinite. So I started to go north to take a look.

Started hearing shots and one explosionn on my way and suddenly dropped dead. There was a southron squad behind me.

On reload I managed to keep myjeep alive and evac Rusky without any trouble... Heard some vehicles (maybe only one) during the cutscene but when it was over they were nowehre to be seen so we just drove back to base. 7 reported the BMP again and I took the jeep to the west of Trinite and hid in a bush. After some very boring waiting, about 10minutes or so I think (during which I heard on or two 3 shot bursts) I reported without seeing an Abrams, 7 reported soldiers to the north and a Vulcan. They started fighting and then I got shot by an AA soldier... wasn't in my bush properly  ::)

Next tme I decided not to take the risk. I had saved after getting Rusky home, so i pulled back 7 and waited. After a short wait I heard the unmistakable sound of FFARs and tank cannons.. They're at war.. but no message or anything yet. After a little time of hearing this curiosity got the better of me again and I decided to make my way on foot to Trinite to see how the battle would turn out.. As I neared Trinite the game started lagging terribly.. 1-3FPS. So I jumped in a bush and quit.. for now.

More soon.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #813 on: 15 Jun 2005, 16:49:07 »
Lilwillie_WI:
Give up on the woman at Dourdan.  There is a bug that did not appear in testing.  I have made some enquiries on the official forum and one suggestion is that it might be being caused by something that happens in the second cutscene at the lodge (I can give the details if anyone is interested).  Getting to her is atmospheric but not mission critical.  I am afraid you will have to suffer from listening to your team mate bleat on about her though.

Got just enough up the ladder to see she was face down. Hmmm, maybe she is dead?
How did you do that!?  Not dead, just ill.  Yes how did you do that?

letting your guard down in built up areas
My advice is don't let your guard down wherever you are. :)

Xcess:
I have YuriClone bug too
You too!  Well don't shoot him. :)  This is just amazing.  I have a script that checks to see if he is alive and if he is he gets a deleteVehicle and this code is unchanged from v1.1.  I will fix this but it is going to take some thinking about.

Mikero:
Black screen:  I am stumped.  It sounds like the point at which Irena is telling you about the two sides of the island.  You should see Irena telling you this!!

You pass the three people we are all mentioning when you come out of Vigny with the police jeep.
When I come out of Vigny in the jeep I do a sharp left and head off E.N.E across country.  I had better have a look.

I like the idea of them all behaving differently in the truck.  I can't claim any credit for this though.

dissapointed couldn't put a flag up
I thought about it but left it for the border towns and main bases only.

The 'mist' is an absolute pain, I have to tell you. It is bordering on dreadful. Ai can always see each other, I cannot. 20 meters is making all the difference. I hope you consider replacing it with rain instead.
I think what is happening is that genuine fog impacts the ability of ai units to see, but the low visibility that comes with rain seems not to have the same impact on them.

Town above Chapoi:  Did you hear anything?

So you found it.  Well done.  That was quite complex to set up - so many options.

XCess: again

Excellent:  We now have a chance to test something.  Many of the cutscenes are dynamic in the sense that the dialogue depends on the situation.  I have tested it all but given some of the other things you guys are finding I am beginning to doubt my own sanity.  So you collected Sergie after the northrons and southrons had started fighting.  (Mikero I think you did it this way also)

Sergei should have made a comment about them fighting already

You also visited La Trinite before you collected Sergie.  When Sergei mentions the trading at La Trinite - Alexi should say something about this explaining something about the place.  He doesn't say this if you have not already been there.

As no one has mentioned the dialogue being illogical I presume all this worked.

Has anyone collected the 2nd civis after the fighting had started?

After some very boring waiting, about 10minutes
.  Boring? - it took me 90 minutes to capture the ammo truck in the southron convoy and I spent most of the time terrified, nearly 30 minutes was spent lying beside a bush with my LAW ready to take out the infantry ural.  Interesting experience.  If the truck had come along at the outset I would have done it easily, but the longer I waited the more I thought about what I had to do and the more nervous I became. I only just got him in the end.

They're at war.. but no message or anything yet
I was persuaded to remove that message, the problem was how would Alexi know, so I left it for the player to figure out.  Have you reorganized your team lately?  Did Sergei not mention it in the cutscene at Houdan?

Lag at La Trinite:  Others have mentioned this as well.  It is not something I noticed in testing.  Is it a town related issue - or are there a lot of loons close by?

« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2005, 16:53:13 by THobson »

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #814 on: 15 Jun 2005, 17:16:20 »
The fighting had not quite started when I picked up Sergei... A vehicle was heading north and I'd taken out the BMP of the convoy.. but no actual war.
I was really paying close attnetion to the scene since I'd seen it a few times already but I don't remember hearing the exclamation of "They trade?!" which sort of sticks out so I guess the dialogue did change.. to be honest, I'm not sure. If I could go back on old saves I'd go and have a look... any more dynamic cutscnese I can look at.

Also, when I got back and told my group to fall in I got a small cutscene showing Yuri talking about tanks.. Abrams being the biggest and a dialogue (I think it was the formation dialogue) but I closed that becuse I just wanted to check around with my squad cos they reported some units nearby.. Either they were wrong or I heard it wrong cos there were none.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #815 on: 15 Jun 2005, 18:22:09 »
Dynamic cutscenes:
Rather than give you a list that might spoil things, just let me know of any anomalies that you come across.   Thanks.

@All
Incidentally if it is correct then the problem that is causing the ladder to be un-usable mihgt also be removing the ability to disarme the standard OFP mines

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #816 on: 15 Jun 2005, 18:28:38 »
I remember somebody saying before that only enginerr classes could disarm the standard mines.. not sure  how true it is.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #817 on: 15 Jun 2005, 19:49:53 »
Anyone can disarm a mine, provided they are the one who laid it, otherwise only an engineer can disarm it.

On the ladder issue, I remember way back in the mists of time, before I discovered the action menu item to climb ladders, that I managed to run up the ladder in question.

It took a few tries but I eventually made it.
Some time later I noticed the option in the action menu.  ::)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #818 on: 15 Jun 2005, 20:32:02 »
 ;DPlanck that is wonderful ;D

Okay I stil have no idea what is causing the YuriClone problem - but I have fixed it.  I can be certain about this because I do not use a clone any more, it is the genuine Yuri from the start.  I introduced the clone to get round a strange problem that was caused when Yuri was setPosed out of a vehicle and then joined my group.  I thought the clone idea was rock solid fool proof - clearly I was wrong.  I have now solved the original problem by allowing Yuri to get out of the vehicle on his own and only then do I setPos him.

The ladder is proving more difficult.  I cannot yet replicate the problem in the mission editor.

lilwillie_WI

« Reply #819 on: 15 Jun 2005, 21:36:45 »
How did you do that!?  Not dead, just ill.  Yes how did you do that?

stupid persistance ;) I just keeped trying the ladder and if I stayed to the left and only tried to walk up, while looking down, I could make it a few steps up and just turn a little and see she was wearing I think blue clothes. Then I would fall into the next room below.

After seeing her face down and bloodied I gave up thinking she had died.  

I doubt I will listen to my Russkie much more, so apt to draw down on him whenever he comes to view. Habit of always shoting the russkies.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #820 on: 15 Jun 2005, 22:00:50 »
You might want to try Planck's method until I can get it fixed.  I hope you change your mind about Sergei

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #821 on: 15 Jun 2005, 22:17:53 »
From my last progress report, I was at the lodge ready to get the civilians.  I make my way out, being careful crossing the road, and finally make it to the civilians.  I can't believe the resistance had an HQ here.  There's even a road that comes up to the house!  Anyway, I rescue them, and we head back to the lodge.  I get there and get the cutscene.  I decide to check out Houdan right away.  I take 2 with me and we head out.  Just as I am about to reach the road to the southeast of the lodge, my group at the lodge reports seeing a man.  I quickly hike back up the hill to check it out.  I see nothing.  No shots were exchanged, all my men are in good health, and there are no bodies anywhere.  It is my guess that my men reported the civilians in the house.  I continue back to Houdan and finally get there.  I sneak into town, and kill a three man patrol.  I do a further search of the town and discover a lone soviet soldier in a house with an M16 at his feet.  I walk up to him, but nothing happens.  I then proceed to kill him.  I don't want him shooting me in the back as I leave town.  I leave town, and am now considering what to do next.  I noticed another "Rescue the civilians" objective in the briefing.  I guess I'll get them.

more later

P.S. That soldier in the house, was I supposed to kill him?

Henderson

« Reply #822 on: 15 Jun 2005, 23:38:38 »
I'm at Dourdan, everything in this new version is great. I kind of walked up the ladder to get to the woman there. My main question is though, how do I change flags in the cities I capture?

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #823 on: 15 Jun 2005, 23:51:36 »
Pilot:
It is my guess that my men reported the civilians in the house.
That is my guess too.

That soldier in the house, was I supposed to kill him?
Well you are allowed to.  How close did you get to him?  Please don't say you walked right up to him inside the hut - you should have got a cutscene.

Henderson:  So you got up the ladder!!!!  How?  Planck's persistence or some other way?  

To change the flags just clear the area and have at least one of your team with you.  I am going to change this so you can change the flag yourself.
« Last Edit: 15 Jun 2005, 23:54:49 by THobson »

Offline Pilot

• Contributing Member
« Reply #824 on: 15 Jun 2005, 23:54:37 »
Please don't say you walked right up to him.
Yeah, I did walk up to him.  I was probably within a meter or two of him.