Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: (Review Completed) [SP] Abandoned Armies  (Read 217681 times)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
Re:Abandoned Armies
« Reply #1110 on: 07 Jul 2005, 19:18:10 »
LuckieTee:
v1.20 does have a bug that means once it starts new wolves will continue to be created.  Each wolf will eventually stop but  more continue to be made.  In v1.21 this is fixed.  I am not sure which one you are playing.

I am glad you are enjoying it.  

im looking forward to more of your work in the future
Lol: I can see no further than finishing this one at the moment.

Thanks for your comments.  I really appreciate them.
« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2005, 19:24:19 by THobson »

Offline marshmanguy

• Members
« Reply #1111 on: 07 Jul 2005, 20:32:07 »
Seems there are quite a few of us quiet types out there playing it.

By the way, the lag I got wasn't that bad.  Someone tell me what a benchmark is and how I find it out and I'll tell you what mine is.  I'll also do an FPS check next time I run through it.

lilwillie_WI

« Reply #1112 on: 07 Jul 2005, 22:06:28 »
Seems there are quite a few of us quiet types out there playing it.

By the way, the lag I got wasn't that bad.  Someone tell me what a benchmark is and how I find it out and I'll tell you what mine is.  I'll also do an FPS check next time I run through it.

the benchmark can be found when the small, title screen pops up when you want to click, play game, go down further and there is a nice options box that can tell you what the pc spec stuff is. My understanding is tweaking this area you can raise the benchmark and a higher benchmark equals less lag. The experts can chime in and correct me.

Anyhoo, back to the gameplay for myself. Kicked back in at 3:30am and mulled around doing some sniping, but decided to just recon more. To the life of me I don't understand what the patrols are doing but they head south of Chapoi in alternating groups and I loss them in the heavy woods southwest of Chapoi. Considering the weather conditions and darkness I'll wait til morning to do some killing. Wonderfull thing is the Abrams crew comes out all toghether at times, hmmm, I know who will take the first rounds. Gameplay now at 5:30 am and I am anticipating the morning attack. My team is forming up to the east with the apropriate weapons and all heck is ready to break loose.

THob, familyman myself(wife, two kids) so I can relate to the time spent on this and trying to balance it with family time. This must have been a massive undertaking. Hoist a beer in your direction.

Offline MrN

• Contributing Member
  • Pffff
« Reply #1113 on: 07 Jul 2005, 22:07:48 »
I feel compelled to add something here.

I have downloaded and tried a couple of versions of this.  Every time I felt like commenting, someone (normally Mikero ;)) has added something  that I wanted to say. Normally in a harsher way than I would have said but more effective.  ;)

The times I have played it I have great empathy with the author and testers.  ;)

The amount of work the testing\headsmackingagainsthemonitor moments you must have had are beyond me.

I admire the work that you ( & co. ;) ) have put into this. It's way beyond what most people would expect from a computer game.

Normally I get smacked down hard and fast, not everyone has played every version and wants the hardest most vicious mission to play.  Just the most absorbing.  :)

It seems close to the point where I can say something. If this latest version is getting the groovy thumbsup signal I'll start playing through. I'm not a big fan of playing a beta again and again, irony huh? ;) Due to the fact that I feel I lose impartiality if I keep testing a mission. Familiarity and all that.

BTW
:thumbsup:
In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1114 on: 07 Jul 2005, 23:28:39 »
lilwillie_WI:

Thanks - I am well into my red wine at the moment so I will have the beer tomorrow if that is alright.

For myself, it is about 16:00 and I am occupying the fuel station west of Chapoi.  There are live armour and infantry units in the town and snipers on the hill.  Shooting the infantry attracts the armour, LAWing the armour attracts the snipers - and I can't see those buggers.

MrN:
You can always say something.  Even just what you did and what happened and what you saw.  Often that is enough for me to spot something I want to change, even though the person telling the story doesn't realise it.  Views about what is good or bad can be of more direct help, especially if you say why you think so, but just because someone as already said what you want to say doesn't mean you can't chime in.  On the status of this mission.  v1.23 is the latest available.  It has some minor niggles, and I am hoping you guys find some more.  I have two major pieces of work to do on it 1) reduce the lag without impacting the mission, if I can; and 2) re doing the end scene.  It is okay as it is and a lot if it will stay but there are some changes I want to make.  So as far as the mission is concerned this is very nearly it.

Yes it is a lot of work, but I am enjoying making it a lot more than I will ever enjoy having made it.

I'm not a big fan of playing a beta again and again,
Me neither, but I am fortunate that some people are.

« Last Edit: 07 Jul 2005, 23:29:10 by THobson »

Offline XCess

• Former Staff
« Reply #1115 on: 07 Jul 2005, 23:54:47 »
Just thought I'd say I won't be able to do any testing for a while as I'm going on holiday.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1116 on: 08 Jul 2005, 01:20:38 »
@Funkster

>Tank blew you away.

If it was early in the game, say less than 2 hours perhaps, then rain contributes markedly to the unfairness of any enemy with zoom cabability. Otherwise, no, not at all, a zoomed tank would indeed 'see ' you or any other vehicle at *only* 500 meters. They will take you out from as far away as Larche if you pop your head over the cliff from your lodge, IN, a vehicle. Ai tanks that have commanders WILL fire on radar rather than visual sighting, many players do similar. This is the primary reason for having commanders in tanks and is not a game cheat as such.

But, great fun isn't it? Nowhere is safe, you assume you're ok, and BANG!

@Thob
>ghost woman.

At no time did she appear in the truck, multiple tests, but on 1.23 I never used the truck to collect the civils. Is she, in fact one of the mad-woman, because why the hell not !!!! Marvellous stuff if she arbitrarily decides to join us !!!! I met my mad woman this time around Houdan, then Dourdan, she was wonderful. Personally, I don't think you have a thing to worry about Thob, if this ghost isn't one of the mad devils, she damn well ought to be, leave it alone, it's fun.

@Dantheman

where did you hear 'all the fuss about it'. Because of this forum, or the grapevine?

>lag.

Almost 100% you have something running in background that you did not have on previous play. It's unlikely it is the mission in this instance. Lag is often encountered but your description is typical of some other process taking over, not, the engine itself. Carefully check what addons / mods / and anims you have scattered in your folders too. The lag you describe is TYPICAL of norton anti virus btw.

@Karantan

My wife would kill me for something like this.

I'd kill my wife for something like this.

@LukieTee

Your 'adventures' with Irena being a very bad girl, the scenic masterpiece of a chopper fire-balling in front of your eyes, has been described many times. Never the same scene, never the same location, never the same mix of enemy ai, never the same chopper, "and then a sniper crawled in". All of which makes this mission unbelievable magic. You will *never* repeat the above experience, no matter how many times you play 'armies. it will be different, each time, every time, with similar spectacular results. It is largely and almost wholly due to Thobson leaving his game running for days on end. Why? Because all the obvious bits, all the garanteed-to-occur things, have been taken out and removed. If an enemy squad always appeared at Houdan, three days later, they don't anymore. It's this I'm beginning to understand.

>Music

Oh yes. I detest battle music, this is the first mission ever, where I'm quite desperate to turn that CD player ON. Just by doing that, I feel like I've authored something myself, made the game play the way I want it to play. Ditto the AP/AV mines.

@Thob

Went to bed. thinking of that damn civil truck at the narrowing valley. Why were there two soldiers there, where were they taking the civils, how long did they last, who was the last one shot, why did one of the civils nearly make it up the hill. where did they come from, did they know about us, god they were brave. Where were the bastards that killed them, did the radio work? That lighthouse, why didn't they go there. The scene is rich rich rich, left unanswered, the way it should be. Perfect.

The Larche wobbler is marvellous. It has us running all over the map. I don't mind it as it is, I kept going back to the pregnant woman to tell her and didn't get a 'reward' for doing so. I expected to find her husband in the pow camp eg, i expected to see him shot at the chapoi breakout eg. Something not quite finished about it, a small, loose end. Fine as is, but a few holes in it.

Just say no to bugz

funkster

« Reply #1117 on: 08 Jul 2005, 03:28:00 »
Ok, so Ive played a lil more now, prob around five hours.
Last night I went to houdan, got then rescued the second lot of civvies, so I had a large sqaud, I then went and attacked Arundt(cant remember name - nearest southern town), and died, well, to bed for the night.
Imagine my horror when I woke up this morning, loaded up, and found my save games were gone, it reverted to just after I had rescued the first civvies, so the other two quests were imcomplete, and I only had 6ppl.

Ah, well, cant be bothered going and rescueing again for the moment. so I go and scout around that southern town. After many restarts, and half my squad dead, I ended up with what seemed to be an empty town, an undamaeged jeep with MG, bloodied driver slumped over wheel, and some nice weps. So I take the jeep, pick up my other crewm and drive back thinking, 'im gunna hoist the flag, defend the town with my MG jeep and LAWs, itl b mine, -bwuhahahaaaa!'. Convoy drives into town, theres a reinforcement sqaud there, I burn through them, they dont shoot at me, so 'oh, ok, Ill run them all down then' , turn around, this time they all shoot me. Im dead, the whole time my gunner just stands on the back of his jeep like he hasnt a care in the world, also, the enemy squad does not attack him! Perhaps he counts as part of the vehicle? But he still should have shot them.....

Fun anyway, I just wanna find out how to start a battle between the two sides like the other guy did, and then watch, that would be niiiiiiice!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #1118 on: 08 Jul 2005, 03:46:30 »
Starting the war is fairly simple funkster.

Just get to La Trinite, if there is a convoy there, wait till it departs.

Then go to the two huts with flags and get your AV/AP mines, don't forget you will need satchels for the AV mines and handgrenades for the AP mines.

Anyway, just put AV mines down on the north and south approaches to town.......find a convenient bush to watch from a safe distance........then just wait........a long time maybe till the fighting starts, but it will eventually start.  ::) ::)

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1119 on: 08 Jul 2005, 04:42:03 »
Nearly as much fun as Planck, don't get bored hanging around. Do what he suggests then head off over to Chapoi. Find a safe vantage point (ha bloody ha) and understand sheer terror when the Northron Army rolls straight over the top of you and keeps going into Chapoi. I dont mean a few units, I mean the Army. You'll kiss the ground when you see Chapoi defending you! (If you live that long)

Or, if you dare, try the mountain, topside of Airport and watch an Apache commence it's death run. It splatters the entire length of the runway, when  the hidden Vulcan opens up. The same Vulcan that then concentrates on you!

Or, if you're a little tardy, try two armies gunning for you from T3 all the way to Goisse. Only thing that saves you is they start taking an interest in each other, generally just before the mosquito Jeeps of both sides move up to block your exit at the same road junction. Now _that_ is worth seeing 8)

If you live long enough.

Just say no to bugz

funkster

« Reply #1120 on: 08 Jul 2005, 07:24:34 »
OK, i had a go. Of course, the save only ever lets me start off from early on, no matter how many times i save, so the only way i am going to get anywhere in this mission is if I leave it on. Given i share this cpu, thats not going to happen....be nice if the save prob could be sorted?

Anyway, I gave it a go, went to La Trinite, there was a convoy, waited 4 it, then mined southern appraoch, thought 'what the hell - might as well piss them both off!' mined the northern approach too. Sat in bushes, after a while heard some suicidal tanks enjoying my mines to the north, waited some, found a nice top floor of house to lie prone and watch the action. Had to wait, so I went up the shops (for real - buying milk) came back and Im dead, but I could see there was some action going on.

Gunna be real busy over next couple of weeks, but if you dont hear from me, Ill still b back playing it sooner or later. :)

Offline Mikero

• Former Staff
  • ook?
    • Linux Step by Step
« Reply #1121 on: 08 Jul 2005, 07:56:45 »
@Funkster

when you resume a game from ofp central or from starting ofp again, it gets the version IT saved when you aborted.

simple fix, resume as you always do and then simply hit esc and load, or retry.

voila.
Just say no to bugz

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1122 on: 08 Jul 2005, 08:44:29 »
Wonderful stories guys.  Thanks.

XCess:
Have a good holiday, and thanks.

funkster:
There is a strange behavior of OFP to saved positions.  If you die and then exit the mission, the next time you Resume the mission from the Overview screen you will be taken to the position you were in the last time you exited the mission alive, even if you have saved from a later position.  To get to your last save once you are in the game just press Escape then select Retry (or is it Resume - I can't remember) if it was a save using the radio, or Load if it was a save using Save (if you see what I mean).  The important thing to remember is that your saved position is there, it is just that OFP doesn't take you to it straight away.  EDIT: I see Mikero had already dealt with this.

This can enable the savy player to have infinite saves.  Instead of radio 0-0-0, just exit the mission alive.  If you get to a situation you don't like - don't exit, commit suicide.  It will spoil the impressiveness of the mission, the choice is up to the player.

There are several ways to start a war.  Mostly they involve getting one side into contact with the other.  You can get one group to chase you and lead them into the other's territory (not safe); do what Mikero did and get one group (M2 jeep in his case) from each side to chase you until the see each other (lunacy); weaken one side so badly that the other side decides to mount an all out attack (fascinating); do damage to one of the convoys at a location where the other side might appear (I wonder where that could be?); and a new one for v1.23 - if a convoy arrives at LaT and finds any of its ammo crates damaged it will be monstrously pissed off.  This gives the player an interesting choice as the contents of the ammo crates are now (usually) ‘refreshed' by a convoy visiting the town.

Phantom woman.  I LAWed the truck and just had time to see the first civi objective develop a red cross before my squad gunned me down.  The hunt continues.  Mikero - I too like the idea of random stuff happening, the problem with this is that not many people will find her (you have to get in the back of the truck yourself) but if the truck is ever destroyed you will fail the ‘rescue first civis' objective and that would puzzle players in a ‘that must be a bug' sort of way.  If I could guarantee her presence I might be able to build her into the story.

I am glad my little scene set you thinking.  They did well at the truck, one resistance soldier and an armed civi took out three loons, one with a machine gun, but they were just overwhelmed.

No one has yet mentioned the Barn (remember the barn in the intro?), or the dynamic ammo crates at LaT.  

Dourdan woman.  Good point there is a lack of closure there.

Offline tudders

• Members
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1123 on: 08 Jul 2005, 12:52:19 »
I've not encountered the phantom women yet but i have experienced a women who likes identical to the Dourdan women running through LaT.  I tried to follow her but a T72 got in the way.   I am also yet to check if the Dourdan woman is still there.

I experienced terrible lag near Lat - i lay in a house for an hour watching the ebb and flow of counterattacks by both sides at a steady rate of between 10 and 15 fps.  However upon exciting LaT the fps dropped to 3fps (I pity planck  ;D ) until i got more or less back to the lodge.  I guess it was just the large concentration of troops although in 1.21 i never experienced anything like that amount of lag and i attacked Chapoi when it still had loads of southrons.

And is it worth me trying to get lucky and survive in a minefield at a certain village?  Is there a reason worth discovering that makes you want to keep us out so bad?   ::)

Offline THobson

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #1124 on: 08 Jul 2005, 13:38:18 »
I've not encountered the phantom women yet but i have experienced a women who likes identical to the Dourdan women running through LaT.
I will need to check on their identities, I don't want them all looking the same.  Did you get into the back of the truck? - put two of your squad in first to fill up the drivers cab and then get in.

I too had worse lag in 1.23 than 1.21 at LaT.  I think something is just tipping the mission over a threshold.  I believe the lag is caused by multiple armour units in the area.

Minefield:
You could try your luck. ;) Have you spoken to the woman n Dourdan yet?
« Last Edit: 08 Jul 2005, 14:43:58 by THobson »