Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How to get a plane to fly in the middle of a cutscene?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
Hi everyone!  :D

I've been working on an intro since three weeks intensively now(I'm a Llama!!) and came to a little problem I can't solve alone (pretty much like all the other problems! ::))

In the middle of the intro scene , which happens on the small island in the  upper left corner of Malden, are the four main characters on foot around the hangar and there is a civilian plane on the ground there too.

Now since it's not possible to make the plane take off from this little runway I thought making a "BLACK OUT", then A "BLACK IN" to hide some irrealism (Well, I am a Llama!)

I know how to get the four guys in the plane but how can I make it fly?? I tried several things like puting another similar plane far away out on the map with a unit in which I delete just before I MoveInDriver/MoveInCargo my guys and use a SetPos command but when the plane appears on the desired position, it crashes due to lack of speed or something like that. Ofcourse I've set the speed to "FULL" but...

Can anyone find a reasonable way to pull me out this inconvenient? I'd be very nice! Then I could finally book that damn intro and start no the mission!!! ;)

Many, many thanx in advance!

And BTW, What the hell is a Llama anyways???

« Last Edit: 23 May 2003, 21:49:55 by Captain Crunch »
Back to the forest!

Knut Erik

Re:How to get a plane to fly in the middle of a cutscene?
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2003, 21:55:33 »
Tricky one...

You could either camcreate a plane it the middle of the air.
OR
Experimate with the setveolcity command
 ;)

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2003, 22:09:38 »
  ??? ???

This sounds good, but I don't understand! (Sorry)  :-\

I can camcreate a plane but in the middle air... :'( How could this be done?

And about the SetVelocity command, I've checked in the official and unofficial comrefs and it's not mentioned. BTW I use version 1.46.

What would the syntax look like?

I really appreciate, thanx a lot Knut Erik! :thumbsup:
Back to the forest!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2003, 00:32:57 »
Have two planes and 8 loons.      Half are on the ground, half are in the air.    Use blackin and blackout and deletevehicle.

Rethink the plot of your cutscene slightly to make it work.    Use a dash of lateral thinking ... there's no point in spending half the weekend trying to make OFP do something it doesn't want to do, when a tiny adjustment to the story of the cutscene will do the trick instead.

I don't think you can use setVelocity with 1.46, I suspect it came in later.     Consider buying Resistance, it's not that expensive now and well worth it.

If you are going to stick with setpossing the plane, have it flying in the correct direction before you setpos it, and make sure it has a nice waypoint ahead of it to keep it going.   That should help.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Mr.BoDean

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2003, 22:27:21 »
..Just a newbie idea here, but would the time/space/continuum effects of SkipTime help out here?  (just read a post about it.)  :D

Have two planes and 8 loons.      Half are on the ground, half are in the air.    Use blackin and blackout and deletevehicle.

Rethink the plot of your cutscene slightly to make it work.    Use a dash of lateral thinking ... there's no point in spending half the weekend trying to make OFP do something it doesn't want to do, when a tiny adjustment to the story of the cutscene will do the trick instead.

I don't think you can use setVelocity with 1.46, I suspect it came in later.     Consider buying Resistance, it's not that expensive now and well worth it.

If you are going to stick with setpossing the plane, have it flying in the correct direction before you setpos it, and make sure it has a nice waypoint ahead of it to keep it going.   That should help.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2003, 11:30:02 »
skipTime doesn't help here.     It doesn't affect units - only the time, daylight, weather, tides, stars, etc..  

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2003, 16:42:15 »
 :afro: I chose MacGuba's proposition and had a GREAT week-end party!! Hehe  :cheers:

MacGuba knows how it works! 8) :D

One more question about the plane; Is it posible, as the screen blacks in, to make the plane first fly low then as it flys further to take altitude?
Back to the forest!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 25 May 2003, 17:22:31 »
 ;D 8)

Use a sequence of waypoints with flyinheight commands in each waypoint .... flyinheight works for planes but only after a certain version .... not sure about 1.46

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 25 May 2003, 17:32:24 »
I think it doesn't work. Ite, ite, thats it, Immanna buy resistance! ;D :joystick:

BTW, is it possible to create waypoints from a script, not from the editor?

Back to the forest!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
« Reply #9 on: 25 May 2003, 17:45:04 »
Don't think so ... you can move them with setWPPos.

Offline Captain Crunch

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 25 May 2003, 17:45:07 »
Wouldn't it work to use a few getpos commands and a few gamelogic?

Like:

_X = ((GetPos Logic01) Select 0)
_Y = ((GetPos Logic01) Select 1)
_Z = ((GetPos Logic01) Select 2)

MyPlane GetPos [_X, _Y, _Z + 10]

_X = ((GetPos Logic02) Select 0)
_Y = ((GetPos Logic02) Select 1)
_Z = ((GetPos Logic02) Select 2)

MyPlane GetPos [_X, _Y, _Z + 30]

etc...? ???

Back to the forest!