Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Nuclear explosion/mushroom using drop  (Read 2451 times)

SSG Plazmoid

Nuclear explosion/mushroom using drop
« on: 29 Dec 2002, 12:05:03 »
Playing around with the drop command I was able to create a nice nuclear mushroom effect. It looks OK but it's still a beta. I'll improve the sound, camera work, and clean up the code.

http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/drop/plaznuke.zip
uncompiled source. You'll notice if you compile and start a server the mushroom doesn't look right. There are differences between how it looks in the editor and how it looks running on a server. Will look into this...

more info below. will update as I figure more things out. Advice welcome and feel free to use any of this code just let lemme know if you've made a better mousetrap!

regards,
SSG Plazmoid

Several scripts are used to create the effects.

sounds:
alarm.ogg obtained from Charon's nuke scripts (was ABCAlarm.ogg). I trimmed the length and reduced the size considerably. original size: 450kb     reduced size: 88kb

explosion.ogg obtained from Civilization III (was TacticalICBMBomb.wav). Converted to ogg. original size: 259kb     reduced size: 33kb

nukemaster.sqs calls the various scripts at the right times and is itself called by a radio trigger. A target parameter is passed into nuclearmaster (I just used a unit named wa2 in my example). Additionally nukemaster creates the flash and whiteout effects. These concepts were obtained from Charon's nuclear blast.

nuclear_timer.sqs waits for a specified amount of time and then sets variable to a value. Parameters passed into the timer are [decimal seconds, string part] where seconds is the delay and part represents the variable to set. There are three possible values for part - "column", "top", "shaking".

nuclear_column.sqs creates the vertical shaft of the mushroom. This is accomplished by using the drop command in a loop and giving vertical velocity to the particles. I used two different commands, one for a smoke shaft and another for a fire shaft inside the smoke shaft.

nuclear_top.sqs creates the head of the mushroom. I used some simple trig and a loop incrementing by 10 degrees to create a torus (spelling?) which is a donut looking shape. I also gave the particles here a vertical velocity so it looks like the whole thing is slowly rising.

shaking.sqs creates a shaking effect. This script is based on code that was obtained from the tutorials sections authored by Drak.

Finally, vektorboson's drop tutorials helped me understand the drop command.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2002, 12:53:58 by SSG Plazmoid »

Dark Angel

Re:Nuclear explosion/mushroom using drop
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2003, 17:37:34 »
 ;D  ::)
damn that looks nice lol
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2003, 17:37:56 by Dark Angel »

SSG Plazmoid

« Reply #2 on: 08 Mar 2003, 10:09:05 »
thanks I incorporated it into a CTI mod which can be downloaded here:

Version for testing with nukes set to free cost:
http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/CTI_30_1_10b_SHoP_source.zip

http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/CTI_30_1_10b_SHoP_map.zip

Version for play/test with nukes set to normal cost:
http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/CTI_30_1_11b_SHoP_source.zip

http://www.soldbuysam.com/ofp/CTI_30_1_11b_SHoP_map.zip

REEDKILLER

« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2003, 21:23:49 »
This is realy great!
what improvements do you plan?
I would sudgest you get a new sound for starters - and how abuut a script that stops cars spark pulgs across the map after the explosion?
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2003, 22:19:36 by REEDKILLER »

Ace

« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2003, 09:07:26 »
Yes if we're going that realistic why don' we make it so that anyone that survives the explosion suffers from acute radiation poisining and after months they start to turn yellow and feel faint and before long lose the use of their limbs, then breathing would become harder and many men would die of suffocation.

Oh and we could make a real bomb addona s well! That explodes actually half a mile in the air and drop the radiation onto inhabitants causing a painful and slow death.

;D ;D

REEDKILLER

« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2003, 17:38:55 »
you should see a doctor Ace!
but a missile script and a targeting script might be usefull

Ace

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2003, 18:45:23 »
Lol, thx.

yeah it would be cool, just implement into exsisting artilerry scripts (the onmapclick ones)

I can imagine it now....

We were out-numbered, out-gunned, low on morale, hungry, hurt and homesick.
The enemy moved up the hill towards in 2x2 platoon formation, there was nothing we could do...... BUT NUKE THE BASTARDS!!

KatukovStrikesBack

« Reply #7 on: 23 Mar 2003, 04:30:16 »
Lol, thx.

yeah it would be cool, just implement into exsisting artilerry scripts (the onmapclick ones)

I can imagine it now....

We were out-numbered, out-gunned, low on morale, hungry, hurt and homesick.
The enemy moved up the hill towards in 2x2 platoon formation, there was nothing we could do...... BUT NUKE THE BASTARDS!!

Or a Nuke armed Scud Launcher on a MP map. Oh what I wouldn't give to see the chat logs from that game.  ;D

To be honest, it would make for a very neat to play on a (Tactical) nuclear battle field. Just get a large map that looks like western Europe and you could have your very own WWIII. That would be one heck of a surprise for the player. One minute your fighting on the front lines; 10 seconds and a bright flash later your whole left flank just got blown wide open.

n0mad

« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2003, 05:02:07 »
I picked this up a week or two ago, and have meant to comment ever since.

Graphically, this is really superb.  It actually makes my stomach feel funny whether I'm looking at it in the dark (as you've presented) or during daylight hours.

Obviously the scale's wrong (unless you present it as a "baby nuke"), and from the things I've read, I think it must be the hardest thing to portray.  For instance, I read about a US senator who was incredibly gungho about the nuclear program and sweeted talked his way into witnessing one of the last open air tests the US ever did (down in Nevada, I believe).  It was a bomb only about a quarter the size of Hiroshima, and of course the witnesses were at a "safe" distance from the test.  The senator only watched for the first second and then ran as far as he could the other way.  Later, crying, he told one of the scientists that he thought it was going to swallow the world.  Three years ago, here in the town I live in, a gas pipeline broke over a creek and 250,000 gallons of gasoline fireballed down about a mile and a half lenghth of the creekbed.  I live 8 blocks from the end of where the fire ran to, and the mushroom cloud peaked at 50,000 feet (yes I was scared), and I'm sure that was nothing like what it must be like to look up at a nuclear mushroom cloud.  However, I think as a dramatic effect, you've touched on that horrifying nature.  

I also think that with slight modification, your work here would really lend itself well to simulating fuel-air bombs.

Sacha

« Reply #9 on: 07 May 2003, 15:10:36 »
HAHAHAHA, I got a good laugh out of this one :)

Sco_jam

« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2003, 23:17:14 »
o.k guys brilliant ideas i am willing to help make this work maybe i could make a plane to drop the nuke but im not very good with sounds and scripts

also you could make vehicals and men who have special suits and armour to stop the radaition effecting them also thay can cure the effected

so what do you think maybe we could make a mod or suming?  

Headhunter

« Reply #11 on: 20 May 2003, 20:01:17 »
When i try to use it in a mission it says "_cam = "camera" camcreate [100|#|x, _y, 100] Error Unknown Operator x"

What schall i do????????

Otherwise it's great ;D