Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: My mission crashes to desktop  (Read 472 times)

matjoa

My mission crashes to desktop
« on: 02 May 2003, 16:34:06 »
Only when, in-game, I load it after a save.

This is the pop-up:

Cannot load 'Users\..\Saved\missions\mymission.Eden\save.fps'. Error 'No entry' at '/GameState/Variables/Item12/data.value.Item0'.

I' am using around 470 units. When I remove a big part of them (around 200), the load works.

Do everybody know anything about this? Is there any known limit in the units number I can use (excepting the 63 groups/side)?

My specs:

OFP v1.46
Athlon XP 1700+
768Mb RAM memory and 2Gb of virtual memory.
Winfast GF4-MX440
Win XP
My drivers are all up-to-date.

TIA
JF

CrashnBurn

Re:My mission crashes to desktop
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2003, 17:45:20 »
I had a great Black Op mission that I spent several months making. It had tons of added objects, and in the end I had the exact same problem...crash to desktop when loading savegame after dying. It appears there is a memory limit or something on the saves. I never was able to fix the problem.  :(

matjoa

« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2003, 17:40:35 »
Don't everybody know anything about this?

Never happened anyone else?

Two years ago, when the game appeared maybe was almost impossible to manage around 400 or 500 units...but right now I think that would be possible.... What's a shame that by a bug's fault doesn't afford us...

JF.

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #3 on: 03 May 2003, 17:46:45 »
I't the game engine - it HAS limits, yanno!  :-\ ::)

Ease up yer editing & use a little trick or two, like this:

CreateVehicle - remember this command  ??? :D well, bob, use it in yer missions! :thumbsup:
 8) It really simple (almost, heh)... it's mission making with restrictions.

ONLY create what is needed around yer start pos.  Then, as you move forward, let triggers be activated by YOU or yer group; these triggers will then fire whatever scripts which contain whatever needs to be created on the map.

I.e.

I walk into a forest, this activates a trigger which creates a hostile group of troopers on the other side of that forest (near the spot where I am supposed to come out of the forest, hm?!)  :-*

Check the Ed.Depot for details & DL'able scrolls, matey!  ;)

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 03 May 2003, 18:42:18 »
Tombster..

Is there any way to deletevehicle createvehicled (createunited ;D) units?
Not all is lost.

CrashnBurn

« Reply #5 on: 03 May 2003, 22:08:35 »
If you use the full string when creating units, you can name them and thus, delete them. ;)

@ Tomb- I used the createunit and createvehicle command extensively in my mission, however, I made a new town with roads and a military base also. I guess it was just too much for the engine. Funny thing was, retry worked fine, but load crashed to desktop.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2003, 22:12:03 by CrashnBurn »

Offline Tomb

• Contributing Member
  • in2 Metal? Go 2 my sig
« Reply #6 on: 03 May 2003, 22:44:38 »
hehehe.... crashnburn, oy?!  :o ;D

yea, I know!  ::) and I think it has to do with the ways (the design) of the G.E.
Like, the enging only loads whatever addons within sight when U start a mission;
all other stuff is loaded as time (or YOU, lol) goes by.

So, creating objects/units etc. on a larger scale will prolly cause sort of an overload which has nuth'n 2 do with yer CPU/graph.card  :o

Me don't have any solutions for that one  :( sorry m8s

(unless ya wanna swallow 2 gallons of whiskey with me, heh)  ;D :-X

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #7 on: 03 May 2003, 23:01:44 »
yes indeed the unit does delete like that if it's alive. If it's dead, it can't be deleted (or so it seems). However you can delete the units put in editor dead or alive. Funny thing it is.
Anyways..
I'm misleading the conversation. Just ignore me m'kay  ;D ;)
Not all is lost.

matjoa

« Reply #8 on: 04 May 2003, 03:21:38 »
Will be the game engine....but in my opinion, that is a bug. Any not controlled error, is a bug.

Thank you for your advices about createunit and so, but I was planning my mission with another idea. I'm going to try reducing the number of units.

JF.